LPS#6 - Curvy possibilities (4 photos)

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited June 4, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
No clue why, but I'm in a sepia/monotone mood this week. LOL! I have links to color versions (or similar photos) below two for comparison.

What are your thoughts? Are these contenders? If so, which is your favorite? Any other comments? Oh, I haven't decided on titles yet, they're just for reference.

Thanks!
  1. 158491172-O.jpg East River (This one doesn't look very interesting in color, unfortunately. But converting it really made the river stand out. )
  2. 158491179-O.jpg Skunk Cabbage (I love this in sepia, too, but wanted to try B&W. You can see something similar in color here. )
  3. 158491186-O.jpg Many skunk cabbages (I love the frost on them, but not sure it's obvious - and it's certainly not necessary for the contest! LOL!)
  4. 158491198-O.jpg Glacier Lily (I just felt "curvy" stood out more in monotone. You can see it in color here.)
A little more about the Glacier Lily - this flower LOVES the cold. When I shot these photos this morning, it was about 28 degrees out. When it warms up and the sun starts to hit the glacier lillies, they start to get brown as if burnt. Even if it's only in the 50's. They're about 3" tall with a gorgeous yellow flower and spring up at very high altitudes (above 9000' around here). You can also pop of the heads and eat them! They're sweet and quite yummy in salads.

Probably more than anyone needed to know, but....

Anyway, any of these speak to you for this round? Thanks!

Comments

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    They are all great, but the first one definitely sticks out, in terms of the contest theme! You always find such amazing scenery to shoot, just breathtaking!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    They are all great, but the first one definitely sticks out, in terms of the contest theme! You always find such amazing scenery to shoot, just breathtaking!

Thanks, Lynne! I live in an amazing place for sure!

Thanks for your feedback. It's funny, that's one my hubby suggested, but I wasn't able to figure out how to take it until this morning....
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    As is, I think I like the river meander best, but I am not wild about the sepia tone on it. Generally I prefer mono chromatic treatments on shots with more contrast; this one feels a little flat to me. The Glacier Lilly has potential, but I think you need to get closer to the flower.
    edited June 1, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    As is, I think I like the river meander best, but I am not wild about the sepia tone on it. Generally I prefer mono chromatic treatments on shots with more contrast; this one feels a little flat to me. The Glacier Lilly has potential, but I think you need to get closer to the flower.

Thanks! I'll play with the contrast on the river to see if it pops more. Or play with some of the underlying tone. I've tried this one during the day when there's more contrast/interest in the hills/mountains, but you lose the river.

As for the flower, I totally agree. I may try to reshoot it with my other lens at some point. I do thing the river is stronger, even though I think the flower is so cool.

Thanks for your feedback!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    The river
    15524779-Ti.gif with the others nod.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited June 1, 2007
    Thanks! I'll play with the contrast on the river to see if it pops more. Or play with some of the underlying tone. I've tried this one during the day when there's more contrast/interest in the hills/mountains, but you lose the river.

What I find in the river is that many of the foreground trees get lost in the grass. I think what it really need is better separation between the trees and the grass in tha background. The conifers really pop, but I think they don't cover enough of the image area to really set the tonal range. If you can darken the grass in the background and lighten the trees that might be just the ticket. Otherwise, it might be worth looking for a slightly different vantage to shoot from with a different mix in the foreground.
    edited June 1, 2007
    Thanks, Nikolai!

LiquidAir, what are your thoughts on this? Pretty much the only thing I could do would be to go down the hill a bit , but i might be too much in the trees - and it's a steep slope. If I can drag my lazy tush out of bed early again, I may try this once more.

But I"m now wondering if sunset would work better, now that i think of it. Sunrise was just to camera left and sunset would be behind me - and it might give more contrast if the light were coming from another direction. Hmmm.... If the lighting looks right, Ill try it again.

158510655-M.jpg

(I actually redid it before your comments - I can brighten the aspens a bit more, but I'm afraid it will be *too* much. This photo just doesn't have a tremendous amount of contrast because of when it's taken.)
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    I definitely like the river...what a great view! I agree with Liquid Air about the contrast and sepia tone. The second one looks better to me. Did you try any sort of subtle vignette? I'm wondering if that would help the river pop even more? (I'm kinda into vignettes these days, so that's something I would at least try, but ????) I usually like sepia too, and maybe this shot works best in that, but I am wondering if there isn't just some tweaking that could be done with the color...not quite so brown maybe?....oh well, that's just me. Obviously you know what you're doing, as an alum of SF #1. :ivar

EDIT: I really like #2 as well, but I think the river speaks "curvy" more strongly!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    I agree with the others. It needs a little more contrast ....maybe the time of day will help do try later in the day...and you won't have to get "your lazy butt" out of bed early!! rolleyes1.gifrofl

Great subject and really conveys the theme. thumb.gif

Maureen
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    that river is amazing! i would looove to see that in person. where is it? it's so incredible how something meanders like that naturally. i've been trying to find something along the same lines, but nothing has come close to the amount of curves your river has!

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    That winding river is a great choice!! The sepia looks very nice, but as others pointed out, the photo could use just a little more contrast. With the sun behind you, the trees in the foreground would pop and the river would also be nicely illuminated. If you get a chance to do that, then a color version as well as a sepia version of this scene would be gorgeous. :D
  • MontesaMontesa Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    #1 is very cool
    #1 immediately caught my eye. I really like the winding river and I think the sepia gives it an extra punch. I know a lot of people have a problem with sepia, but I think it really works for some pictures.

The only thing that kind of throws it just the tiniest bit for me is the set of trees on the right bottom, but you can't move them without losing the view you got. I wonder what it would look like vertical instead of horizontal?

The other shots were excellent as well, but #1 was my favorite!
    ~Montesa
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    Hi,
    I agree with the others. I like this meandering river for the challenge. I like the redo you did :D
    Jill
    Jill
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    The first one is really neat but I agree with others about fixing the contrast. I think the key here is increasing the contrast of the trees. They're your connection to the river. Also, drop the brightness of the grass in the foreground which I find distracting.

I can post a modified version to illustrate what I mean if you'd like.

Erich
    edited June 2, 2007
    erich6 wrote:
    The first one is really neat but I agree with others about fixing the contrast. I think the key here is increasing the contrast of the trees. They're your connection to the river. Also, drop the brightness of the grass in the foreground which I find distracting.

I can post a modified version to illustrate what I mean if you'd like.

Erich

Please do! I always appreciate people doing that!

I'm also going to try to get back out there tonight and reshoot, if possible....

As a side note, I took several shots of the river, but I just remembered today that this was a quickie! Laughing.gif! One shot, more for remembering and then came home and *really* liked it!

Thanks again, all!
    edited June 2, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    That winding river is a great choice!! The sepia looks very nice, but as others pointed out, the photo could use just a little more contrast. With the sun behind you, the trees in the foreground would pop and the river would also be nicely illuminated. If you get a chance to do that, then a color version as well as a sepia version of this scene would be gorgeous. :D
    It definitely needs to be after the sun is off the hills, though. I did several just before the sun went down and the river was not a main piece of the photo.... But I think right after sunset, it'll still be bright enough and have more contrast then it did in the morning.

Thanks so much!
    Montesa wrote:
    #1 immediately caught my eye. I really like the winding river and I think the sepia gives it an extra punch. I know a lot of people have a problem with sepia, but I think it really works for some pictures.

The only thing that kind of throws it just the tiniest bit for me is the set of trees on the right bottom, but you can't move them without losing the view you got. I wonder what it would look like vertical instead of horizontal?

The other shots were excellent as well, but #1 was my favorite!
    ~Montesa

I'll try it vertical! Hadn't thought of that.... Thanks!
    edited June 2, 2007
    Playing around a little more.... This is actually a different shot taken at the same time - showing more of the hills....

Better? Still need to reshoot?

Thanks so much!

158738284-O.jpg

The trees in the lower left bug me, but can't be cropped otu because I'd lose a major curve in the river. BUT! This would be easy to reshoot with those trees gone - just move to the right a little bit when reshooting.

Thanks!
    edited June 2, 2007
    I like this new one quite a bit more. In this version the river feels a bit more framed by the hills which keeps the eye on the money. I still find myself squinting to pick out details in the low contrast. One thing to try is to shoot this just as the sun peeks over the ridge into the valley. You want the lowest sun angle you can get so take a look to see whether morning or evening is better.
    edited June 2, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I like this new one quite a bit more. In this version the river feels a bit more framed by the hills which keeps the eye on the money. I still find myself squinting to pick out details in the low contrast. One thing to try is to shoot this just as the sun peeks over the ridge into the valley. You want the lowest sun angle you can get so take a look to see whether morning or evening is better.

thumb.gif i really appreciate your feedback! i'll figure it out... :D
    edited June 2, 2007
    Here's a quick touchup I did on the photo you posted. You probably can do better working from the original and spending a bit more time being careful with the tonal adjustments....

Cheers,

Erich

Original:
    158491172-O.jpg

Modified:
    158818668-O.jpg
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    For what it's worth Andie
    I love the shot....I hate the color. That brown/grey/white or whatever that preset is takes away from it. I'll bet with the color version the river could easily be the focal point..right now it's there but doesn't keep my viewing interest. Even a really good black & white conversion with some dodge & burn would look 100% better than this lightroom thing (just my opinion....you can beat me later)rolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited June 3, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    I love the shot....I hate the color. That brown/grey/white or whatever that preset is takes away from it. I'll bet with the color version the river could easily be the focal point..right now it's there but doesn't keep my viewing interest. Even a really good black & white conversion with some dodge & burn would look 100% better than this lightroom thing (just my opinion....you can beat me later)rolleyes1.gif

Laughing.gif! I'll beat you later!

Okay, okay! I'll play some more.... The color version is really bland and boring. I can change it to B&W, but it's not that much different than this. And I dont' mind minor dodge and burn, but I don't want the photo to make/break on that, though... (I'm no Ansel Adams, that's for sure!) The lighting wasn't right for a reshoot tonight (too many clouds) so hopefully tomorrow!

One thing I've definitely found - you have to really love sepia or you really hate it!

Thanks for the honest feedback! I really do appreciate it. :D
    edited June 3, 2007
    erich6 wrote:
    Here's a quick touchup I did on the photo you posted. You probably can do better working from the original and spending a bit more time being careful with the tonal adjustments....

Cheers,

Erich

Original:
    158491172-O.jpg

Modified:
    158818668-O.jpg

Thanks so much Erich! I can see the tonal changes you made! I'll see what I can do to incorporate some of them... and hopefully a reshoot makes it easier to do that.

I always like seeing what others do with my photos! Thanks again!
    edited June 3, 2007
    You're welcome.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Wanted to mess around with this
    So.....here it is....now (at least in my mind's eye) the focal point is the river....cropped it some too. mwink.gif

159638833-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited June 4, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    So.....here it is....now (at least in my mind's eye) the focal point is the river....cropped it some too. mwink.gif

159638833-L.jpg

How DARE you! :D

Seriously, thanks! I really like what you did! This is actually a different shot than I entered - the shot I entered is darker than my original, but not as dark as yours. I may play around a little more - I like how it really pops out the river!

Thanks so much for playing with it!