Hiding (not showing) keywords (logged out vs logged in)

papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
edited June 3, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I'm not sure if this should be a feature request, a customization question, or a support question...sofeel free to move it if this is the wrong place.

First off, I'm thrilled with the new SmugIsland options...I can now keep Google from snooping if I so choose! Lovin' it!

So, here's what has to be a minor point compared to the major stuff that SmugIsland addresses:

If I choose to Hello World ...NO, and Hello Smuggers..."NO, make me an island", site specific searches can be run for caption content and/or keyword content. I would prefer to leave captions searchable, but hide the keywords "under the hood" and only be viewable by myself when I am logged in.

[going all the way to "total lockdown" (as the name implies) prevents searches for visitors on both keywords AND captions]

Using an earlier customization to hide keywords hides them from view whether logged out or logged in for the detailed view of a single image. Even when logged in, Seeing/Editing the keywords associated with a single photo cannot be done using the simple EDIT function on the detailed view of the photo...it requires opening the bulk caption/keyword editor function, scrolling to find the photo again, then editing.

What I'm trying to say is I'd like to be able to see and edit my keywords on a detailed view of a single photo (when I am logged in), but have the keywords not visible when logged out. The keywords in the keyword gallery would also not be visible except when I am logged in. Thus, visitors would still be able to search caption content, but not keywords.

If this is doable without a major development project, I'd like to see it as an "option". If it can be done with a relatively minor twead to the currently available hack to hide keywords, I'd be quite happy with that as an alternative.

If it proves to be a major hack challenge...I'll "survive" nicely enough without it because I got the most important functionality I sought from what's already been achieved via SmugIsland.

Comments

• richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    I hope this is what you are looking for:

#photoKeywords {display: none;} /* hide keywords */

.loggedIn #photoKeywords {display: block;} /* keywords visible when logged in */

#keywordList {display: none;} /* hide keyword list */

.loggedIn #keywordList {display: block;} /* keyword list visible when logged in */

If you bring your keyword list out of your control panel it should be visible only when you are logged in.
  • papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    Zeroing-in on it!
    richW wrote:
    I hope this is what you are looking for:

#photoKeywords {display: none;} /* hide keywords */

.loggedIn #photoKeywords {display: block;} /* keywords visible when logged in */

#keywordList {display: none;} /* hide keyword list */

.loggedIn #keywordList {display: block;} /* keyword list visible when logged in */

If you bring your keyword list out of your control panel it should be visible only when you are logged in.

Wow!...thanks Rich...that's very close (85%, give or take) to what I was looking for.
    Keyword are visible on the detailed view of a single photo now when logged in (and it is editable)thumb.gif and not visible when logged out thumb.gifthumb.gif .

The gallery descriptions are searchable when logged out thumb.gif , but the captions are notheadscratch.gifne_nau.gif .

The nick.smugmug.com/keyword list is also still visible when logged out headscratch.gif
    edited June 2, 2007
    papajay wrote:
    Wow!...thanks Rich...that's very close (85%, give or take) to what I was looking for.
    Keyword are visible on the detailed view of a single photo now when logged in (and it is editable)thumb.gif and not visible when logged out thumb.gifthumb.gif .

The gallery descriptions are searchable when logged out thumb.gif , but the captions are notheadscratch.gifne_nau.gif .

The nick.smugmug.com/keyword list is also still visible when logged out headscratch.gif I'm not sure I understand your last line...I toggled the keyword setting in my control panel to "hide" rather than "show", but it did not make a difference using the URL nick.smugmug.com/keyword. Will I be stuck?? If nick.smugmug.com/keyword URL will display my list, regardless, the "total lockdown" option is the only way to really hide the list altogether then (which then defeats the searchable captions and gallery descriptions concept), right?
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    papajay wrote:
    The nick.smugmug.com/keyword list is also still visible when logged out headscratch.gif
    There is no normal way to turn off the keyword list page as far as I know, but I think I found a way to do it. If it works you can thank PBolchover and his gallery redirect script. Follow the instructions on the page I linked and instead of putting gallery numbers in the gallery redirect table you put in
    keyword
    followed by the page where you want to redirect the people that try to access your keyword list page.
    It should then look somewhat like this:
    var galleryRedirectTable = 
     {
         keyword : "http://nick.smugmug.com/"
     };

That and the other code from the link should redirect people directly back to your startpage.

Hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited June 2, 2007
    Clever fella!
    There is no normal way to turn off the keyword list page as far as I know, but I think I found a way to do it. If it works you can thank PBolchover and his gallery redirect script. Follow the instructions on the page I linked and instead of putting gallery numbers in the gallery redirect table you put in
    keyword
    followed by the page where you want to redirect the people that try to access your keyword list page.
    It should then look somewhat like this:
    var galleryRedirectTable = 
     {
         keyword : "http://nick.smugmug.com/"
     };

That and the other code from the link should redirect people directly back to your startpage.

Hope this helps,
    Sebastian

Thanks Sebastian...that's using "the ol' noodle"...I'll have to give this a try. I'm guessing there may be a "downside", though, will the redirect script prevent me from seeing my keyword list/page/gallery when I am logged-in? (I would think it might, but am not computer saavvy enough to know for sure).
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2007
    papajay wrote:
    I'm guessing there may be a "downside", though, will the redirect script prevent me from seeing my keyword list/page/gallery when I am logged-in? (I would think it might, but am not computer saavvy enough to know for sure).
    Nope, the code of the script checks for if you're logged in and will still show you the page then. I haven't used it so far, but I think it'll work that way.

PBolchover mentions this in his post:
    PBolchover wrote:
    (NB: the redirects do not work when you are logged in. This allows the user access these galleries, in order to modify the thumbnail image, etc.)

Good luck,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero