Options

flowers in the wind

jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
edited February 13, 2005 in Technique
this is my first try at photo shopping something I shot this on a hike with my son and the scouts so it is my oly 2 pi carry around camera .comments wanted my captions are also lacking i think .Thanks Jeff
Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    Harsh critique
    This photo doesn't do anything for me. Sure, the flowers are pretty, but, the only one that has a visual center is the dried up one top center. The rest are pointing away from the camera. It's as if the flowers are people and none of them are looking at the camera. All we see are the sides of their heads if you will.

I would try to reshoot the photo, but this time make believe that one of the flowers is the subject of a portrait. Find it's best side. Find an angle that uses the other flowers in a supporting role. Use a composition that gives a little flair to the whole thing.

In post processing, the photo could use some sharpening too and maybe a touch more contrast. The square crop looks too generic and lifeless to me. If the subject doesn't stand out, then at least the composition (choice of crop)should.

On the bright side, the color looks good and the exposure does too.

As far as a caption, I think the reason you are having a hard time finding one is because the photo just doesn't elicit any reactions. Reshooting one with more visual dynamics may kick the brain into greater captioning activity :-)

All offered in a spirit of love iloveyou.gif
    jwear wrote:
    this is my first try at photo shopping something I shot this on a hike with my son and the scouts so it is my oly 2 pi carry around camera .comments wanted my captions are also lacking i think .Thanks Jeff
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    thumb.gif Great advice, Shay. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    :feelgood
    This photo doesn't do anything for me. Sure, the flowers are pretty, but, the only one that has a visual center is the dried up one top center. The rest are pointing away from the camera. It's as if the flowers are people and none of them are looking at the camera. All we see are the sides of their heads if you will.

I would try to reshoot the photo, but this time make believe that one of the flowers is the subject of a portrait. Find it's best side. Find an angle that uses the other flowers in a supporting role. Use a composition that gives a little flair to the whole thing.

In post processing, the photo could use some sharpening too and maybe a touch more contrast. The square crop looks too generic and lifeless to me. If the subject doesn't stand out, then at least the composition (choice of crop)should.

On the bright side, the color looks good and the exposure does too.

As far as a caption, I think the reason you are having a hard time finding one is because the photo just doesn't elicit any reactions. Reshooting one with more visual dynamics may kick the brain into greater captioning activity :-)

All offered in a spirit of love iloveyou.gif
    Shay thanks for the advice and lesson that is the reason i put it up.I would try and re shoot it but can not .It was taken on a hike but i did get a lot from what you said thumb.gif.[printed it]I will try again with something else ,thanks again !what i did do was to remove the stems have not tried any of the tools in element until this . .SHAY THANK YOU FOR THE TIME your response was very well received not just a bad shot Jeff but you took the time for an explanation very much appreciated.:feelgoodJeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/