Off topic: Checking In

indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited September 4, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I know I haven't been a part of this community for too long, but I feel at home here and miss you guys. My oldest daughter was admitted to the hospital last Tuesday night and I've been...ah... preoccupied with her care. She's going to be okay but we might be there another four days.

On the way to the ambulance, I grabbed my camera. This is a direct result from my participation in this forum and in this challenge. My outlook on the world has changed and I see the power in documenting both the beautiful and the scary, I see how I can tell my story in pictures in a new way. Not only that, I'm learning so much here that I was able to use some new techniques to capture what I was seeing more effectively.

Also, I instinctively knew we will need these images to process the events as a family. The daughter who is sick is also hard of hearing and sometimes has language issues. These images will enable her to connect her experience to something visual, I hope.

I want to thank you for inspiring my heart to take risks and look at the world with new eyes. Even if I never even place in this challenge, I've won.

Click to see her hospital images. Nothing is graphic.

Love,

Jesse

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Thank you for sharing your very touching and personal images. Many are down-right beautiful, despite the hospital setting. Your family is in my prayers. I hope your daughter is back to 100% herself very soon.
    God bless,
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Jesse first of all my prayers go out to you and your beautiful little girl.
    I cannot imagine what you are going through! I hope the recovery is swift and complete and that she will be back to her normal self quickly. I imagine these have been a very long 4 days for both of you, and the rest of your family! The photos are absolutely stunning. You somehow have managed to capture some amazing shots in the middle of a crisis. I agree with you that these shots will be helpful in her being able to grasp what has happened to her. Bless your heart for being clear-headed enough to do this! My heart goes out to you.

God Bless you Both!
    Susan
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Jesse,

Thank you so much for sharing. As a mother of 2 young girls, I can only imagine what you are going through. My 1 year old had to have a CT scan last week (all is fine, thank God), and the few hours of worry alone had me totally wiped out.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for the images. They truly do tell a story and are beautiful. You've captured this event in her life that is priceless by taking a scary situation and shown a positive side.

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    iloveyou.gif Awwww...I'm so glad to see the smiles on your daughter's face after her ordeal. She has a lot of friends and family who love her so very much. I hope she recuperates quickly.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Wow, what a gallery, and what an amazing girl. She is brave.

You done good, Indiegirl. And not just with the pictures. Let us know what you need.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Hi Jesse,

I truly hope that all is well. Nice photos, and I hope that your beautiful daughter has fully recovered.

Thanks for sharing,

Lee
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Of course my best wishes go out to you and your daughter. But I must say your coverage of the event is fantastic!! You have captured the feelings, hurts, and triumphs. The photos are emotional. I feel like I was there. You have have given it all context and these will become an important record for both your family and others who view the photos.

I have seen professional coverage of like evnets and your photos could intermix with theirs without the viewer being aware of the change. Well done! I hope for a speedy recovery, and that you keep your camera at the ready!
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited June 4, 2007
    Jesse -
    Please add my wishes for a fast and complete recovery for your daughter to everyone else's.

I'm so glad you had the presence of mind to grab your camera on your way out of the house. What an amazing journal of your daughter's hospital stay! I'm sure that you will both be glad to have these photos.

--- Denise
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    What a wonderful series of photographs, Jesse. Looking at them brought tears to my eyes but also smile to my face. What a spunky little girl you have. Spunky mother too!! It is wonderful news that your daughter is doing well. My very best wishes to you, your daughter and the rest of your famiy. Thank you for sharing. You are an inspiration.

Virginia

Email
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited June 4, 2007
    Jesse,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your daughter. I am hoping for the best and fastest and most complete recovery.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Simply amazing set of shots. I send big huge hugs to your adorable little girl and to you, who I'm sure really needs it after an ordeal such as this! Prayers for a speedy recovery....iloveyou.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Although I do not know you , that is not without the abillity to wish your daughter a get-well status .
    As far as your gallery , very good , very touching, and it let's others share in your daughters' direction of getting better .
    Thank you so much for sharing your story , and I only wish the best for your daughter and yourself .
    Being a father of 3 , I know what you must have been feeling in the ambulance . And for the strength to take pictures of the ordeal , major respect from me .
    "Walt"
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    So glad she will be okay!clap.gif Great job on the essay, and on raising an awesome daughter!thumb.gif
  • rgbivensrgbivens Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    As others have said our prayers are going out to your family right now.

Great captures...very emotional journey from ambulance ride to feeling of pain to high spirits with clowns to the prolonging feeling of more time recovering...

-Grant
    Cameras: Nikon D200 w/grip, Nikon D70, Samsung NV11
    Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor 17-80mm f/3.5-4, Nikkor 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6, Lensbaby 2.0
    Accessories: Nikon SB-800, (2X) Old Flash Units, (4X) Poverty Wizards, GF Lightsphere, (3X) Lightstand and umbrella, Sandisk Extreme III 4.0 GB, Sandisk Ultra II 2.0 GB, Transcend 1.0 GB
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Your gallery is trully very well done, the photos are great as well as the writing. It definately draws viewers in and gives a feeling of being there. My prayers go out to your daughter and family.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • fmkjrfmkjr Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    My thoughts and prayers to your daughter (and your family)
    Excellent write-up and thank you for sharing. Please continue to post the pictures of her speedy recovery!

thumb.gif
    frank
    dr.Frank

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Psalms 19:1
    We now need to not destroy it and capture its beauty for all to behold.

http://www.kendralla.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Jesse,
    my best wishes to you and fastest recovery to your daughter! iloveyou.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Jesse,

I hope your daughter has a speedy recovery. The pictures are wonderful, thank you for sharing.
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    May God Protect Her
    indiegirl wrote:
    I know I haven't been a part of this community for too long, but I feel at home here and miss you guys.

Jesse
    Jesse,

Your personal needs, feelings, and talents are becoming part of a growing legend; I know your camera brought much release to our community with your family's plight.

And, like you, taking the camera is becoming 2nd nature; sorry you don't feel you can create a photo, but it is abundantly clear from the responses I read that you have earned some very deeply heartfelt reactions.

OK, Jesse, remember - MacArthur said, "I shall return..."

which means IndieGirl is gonna be back as well, eh?
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Hi Jesse,

I too extend my best wishes to your daughter, you, and your family. I loved looking through your photos. You are capturing it all beautifully. I think it was wonderful for you to document this experience this way. Not only will it add to her feeling loved, I think it will also help her process all that she went through. I bet she'll appreciate seeing these years down the road. Thanks for sharing this.

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Your photos had me in tears. Seeing such a precious thing go through such a rough time must be incredibly hard.

You did a wonderful job capturing the emotions, the difficult time and the humor, as well.

I will be keeping your daughter in my heart for a quick recovery.

Thank you for sharing!
  • sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Lovely photos, Jesse! My heart goes out to your daughter and hope she recovers very soon. My best wishes to your family.

Sunita
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Jesse-

Like everyone else I want to reach out and wish you and your family the very best during this time.
    Your images and words are very powerfull.

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    I, as everyone else here wish your daughter a speedy recovery and hope it is not too traumatic for you of the rest of your family.

The photos were surprisingly emotional.

Best wishes

Stan
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited June 4, 2007
    Jesse, what a moving series of photos! The one with the two hands brought tears. I hope all goes well with her recovery.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    I know I haven't been a part of this community for too long, but I feel at home here and miss you guys. My oldest daughter was admitted to the hospital last Tuesday night and I've been...ah... preoccupied with her care. She's going to be okay but we might be there another four days.

On the way to the ambulance, I grabbed my camera. This is a direct result from my participation in this forum and in this challenge. My outlook on the world has changed and I see the power in documenting both the beautiful and the scary, I see how I can tell my story in pictures in a new way. Not only that, I'm learning so much here that I was able to use some new techniques to capture what I was seeing more effectively.

Also, I instinctively knew we will need these images to process the events as a family. The daughter who is sick is also hard of hearing and sometimes has language issues. These images will enable her to connect her experience to something visual, I hope.

I want to thank you for inspiring my heart to take risks and look at the world with new eyes. Even if I never even place in this challenge, I've won.

Click to see her hospital images. Nothing is graphic.

Love,

Jesse

Wow Jesse what an emotional roller coaster ride for all of you eek7.gif
    When kids get sick they often go down hill real fast.
    I'm glad to hear your daughter is recovering and you can all breathe again.

She was braver than me that's for sure, ohhh I can work in a hospital, but not be a patient, no siree, I totally go to pieces at the thought of being a patient.

Your series is amazing, you photographed it like a documentary, only the difference was you took it through the eyes of a mother :D

An excellent record of an unpleasant event in your lives.
    Thinking of you and your family, she'll be bouncing off the wall in no time thumb.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 4, 2007
    wave.gif IndieG and IndieDaughter!

I hope all is going well and that you continue to improve. Get well soon!

It's kinda cool that your mom had a chance to take some pictures and
    can share them with you when you feel better.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Jessie,

iloveyou.gif Our thoughts are with you and your family. We hope that your daughter is on her way to a full and complet recovery and soon home with the family.

Your documentation of the situation is both heart wrenching and heart warming when you see those smiles. She is a brave girl and you are a brave family.....that is the most difficult situation for parents...a sick child....happy for you it is only 2 more daysclap.gif.

You were so spot on when you said "I know I haven't been a part of this community for too long, but I feel at home here and miss you guys."...these responses show what a loving, caring community we all have here in Dgrin!!

Best wishes and our thoughts are with you,
    Maureen iloveyou.gif
  • DaveKDaveK Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Children are a wonderful gift from God and your daughter is most precious. Thank you for sharing these intimate moments through such beautiful images.
    Dave Keith
    "Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take photographs." -- Helmut Newton
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Full of Emotion, Tears and Joy
    My best wishes for you and your family,
    and a speedy recovery.

Your documentation of the ordeal is downright amazing.

Thanks for sharing.