Quick Question About Skin Tones?

imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
edited June 5, 2007 in Finishing School
I did some shoots over the weekend and I can't seem to get the skin tones right at least according to several monitors. On my laptop this picture looks good

159236864-L.jpg

And then on my home computer it looks too red

Then I redid it and reduced the red and came up with this one

159244427-L.jpg

and it looks just not right on my laptop and looks jaundice on my home computer. I did a search on skin tones here but can't seem to find one for this problem.

Any links to what I can do to fix this. I need to get these done asap

Thanks for any help you can offer........

Joe

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    I dont go in for all the maths on the subject but on my sony 21" crt the tone of first one looks pretty damned good to me. That sencond one is way too pale..almost a grey to it.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    159378846-O.jpg

It's a great example of why it's important to check the numbers and not just trust your eyes. At first I agreed with 'Gus, but then I thought I'd just download and check. Mageneta higher than yellow all the flesh. I think that's what was bothering you in the first place. I used this blue curve tweak to fix:

159378001-S.gif

Now there's no contest. If you printed it without doing this, it would look a lot more wrong.
    If not now, when?
  • HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Joe,

Perhaps this is elementary, but is your home monitor calibrated? I bring this up because you say the pics look very different from one monitor to another, and, of course, we need to be able to trust our equipment.

Here's a link to skin tone tutorial by Baldy here at dgrin. Very helpful. And there are others on the tutorial page.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Monitor calibration is the key. I guess I'm going to have to break down and calibrate my office monitor as well........Your shot looks too magenta on my work monitor and Rutt's looks too yellow!!! I just wonder what my boss is going to think about me calibrating a monitor that is used for accounting purposes? rolleyes1.gif
  • HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    I just wonder what my boss is going to think about me calibrating a monitor that is used for accounting purposes? rolleyes1.gif

Good one, Susan :giggle

Tell your boss its a new fed regulation. Say it with an exasperated smile and maybe he/she will just shrug and walk away.

Sorry to encroach on the subject, Joe.
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Thanks everyone for the input and direction. Rutt I liked what you did. I tried the above tutorial and have come up with these. Let me know if these are better. I never had this type of problem with skin before and I have to get these to him this week. I think I may have hair like his by the time it's over.

159757020-O.jpg

159757045-L.jpg

159757263-L.jpg

Thanks again for all the help

Joe

OK, by jove I think I've got it....

159940952-O.jpg