Girls Play Tough

vt1122vt1122 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited June 8, 2007 in Sports
A few from the Needham Memorial Weekend Tournament.

158537474-M.jpg

158538662-M.jpg

158545364-M.jpg

158547405-M.jpg

158664588-M.jpg

157536674-M.jpg

5 on 1, I know this shot is from the back and a little soft but does it work at all?

158658079-M.jpg

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    You caught some great action stuff there david..especially #3 thumb.gif
  • vt1122vt1122 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    gus wrote:
    You caught some great action stuff there david..especially #3 thumb.gif

Thank You Gus,

The two players in #3 had a great battle for the entire game.

This is my 2nd year shooting sports. 1st year I was just taking as many pics as I could and hoping I caught something good. This year I have tried to cut down on the number of shots and work on timing the action more. Keeper rate is going up slowly.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    vt1122 wrote:
    A few from the Needham Memorial Weekend Tournament.

5 on 1, I know this shot is from the back and a little soft but does it work at all?

Yup is sure doesn't look like a sissy game to me :D
    I love to see kids out there playing sport rather than glued to a TV Set.
    ....Great Shots thumb.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited June 8, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Yup is sure doesn't look like a sissy game to me :D
    I love to see kids out there playing sport rather than glued to a TV Set.
    ....Great Shots thumb.gif .... Skippy

Thanks Skippy

I agree sports can be a great experience for kids. I have been lucky with two girls both playing sports nearly year round since they were 10. Always encouraged but never forced to play.

Checked out your home page. You have some great pics. Maybe someday I'll have time to shoot something other than sports.
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    hi David - I know what you mean about girls playing rough. I have 2 boys myself, they they have on occassion played on co-ed teams (U12/U14 combined) and those girls really showed some of those guys what they're made of mwink.gif

You did get some good action in there. I especially like #s 2 and 3. thumb.gif How much PP do you do? I think some cropping and sharpening will really bring out the players.

Keep shooting - you'll only get better. The more you do it, the better feel you get for the action and whether or not the shot will turn out well (although that doesn't always hold the trigger finger...)

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
    edited June 8, 2007
    Frog Lady wrote:
    hi David - I know what you mean about girls playing rough. I have 2 boys myself, they they have on occassion played on co-ed teams (U12/U14 combined) and those girls really showed some of those guys what they're made of mwink.gif

You did get some good action in there. I especially like #s 2 and 3. thumb.gif How much PP do you do? I think some cropping and sharpening will really bring out the players.

Keep shooting - you'll only get better. The more you do it, the better feel you get for the action and whether or not the shot will turn out well (although that doesn't always hold the trigger finger...)

C.

Hey Colleen,

My youngest played a couple of coed tournaments last year. Seemed like the girls played twice as tough and the boys were more timid. Maybe they didn't want to hurt the girls?

As far as post I usually adjust levels, add brightness and contrast if needed
    and then crop. I haven't tried any post sharpening. Usually I have in camera sharpening set to 2. I don't think these need sharpening as much as its that I just missed the focus. Since I added the 1.7 teleconverter a couple of weeks ago I'm still adjusting to the characteristics of the new combo. headscratch.gif

Thanks for looking.