Options

Andy and Steve go Nuclear Free-Pt 2

Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
edited February 11, 2005 in Sports
We got to the wharf and before we drove past the gate we figured we try some beach and under the wharf shots. We had some great light which cast some kewl shadows :)

15678473-L.jpg

We drove down the wharf towards dinner....lol I have to admit, this time it was me buggin Andy about it being time to stop shooting and start eating :wink
The Sun was going down over the hills (pretty weird for the West Coast huh? Only in Santa Cruz :crazy ) and we were reduced to shooting fighting flying rats until it got low enough to shoot into.

Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 ISO1600
15678474-L.jpg

Finally, the Sun set. Good thing too. I was getting ready to fight those gulls for bread scraps :lol4 A sunset shot for the road and then din-din :nod

15678465-L.jpg

Another great meal :eat Seafood this time :doh Great California weather, some decent shots, great conversation and lots of laughs, highlighted by the meal. Oh yeah and the post-meal latte :rofl

Be on the lookout, the Andy and Steve roadshow may be coming to your town next (Katy bar the door-lock up the wimmen and children :lol3 )

See you in March, Andy :wave

I hope you enjoyed my photo essay. I sure had a good time today and I wanted to share it with friends :smile6

Steve
SmugMug Support Hero

Comments

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    It was a good light day
    We got to the wharf and before we drove past the gate we figured we try some beach and under the wharf shots. We had some great light which cast some kewl shadows :)

15678473-L.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my photo essay. I sure had a good time today and I wanted to share it with friends biggrinbounce2.gif

Steve

That's a real neat kewl shadow shot! Would you believe I've never shot under the wharf, except when pointing down to the sea lions?
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2005
    Thanks Dee :D

Hey, you've got to get down to the beach and shoot...lol We had to skirt a large pool of contaminated stormwater to get under the wharf, but as the pic that Andy posted shows, it was worth it nod.gif

Thanks for looking,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    Thanks Dee :D

Hey, you've got to get down to the beach and shoot...lol We had to skirt a large pool of contaminated stormwater to get under the wharf, but as the pic that Andy posted shows, it was worth it nod.gif

Thanks for looking,
    Steve
    So what is the 500mm lens that Andy was using?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    So what is the 500mm lens that Andy was using?

i borrowed steve's "bigma" the sigma 50-500 zoom. my longest lens is 200mm and even that one i don't really use that much lol3.gif
  • Options
    Isaac DwyerIsaac Dwyer Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I took one look at that first shot and thought to my self "I've been there before"

I live in Santa Cruz and have shot under that warf several times. Are you from the area or did you just happen to be passing by?

Anyway I am new to digi grin love looking at everyones shots someday soon I will throw up some of my own :) Anyway wonderful photos I like the first one best!
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i borrowed steve's "bigma" the sigma 50-500 zoom. my longest lens is 200mm and even that one i don't really use that much lol3.gif
    Andy...care to put up some shots with that bigma ? I would be interested to see some.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Andy...care to put up some shots with that bigma ? I would be interested to see some.

steve's got a load of them. go to either of his galleries listed in his sig line...
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    andy wrote:
    steve's got a load of them. go to either of his galleries listed in his sig line...
    No...i meant the lens from your perspective....what you could get from it. To me it always looks that tiny bit soft (sorry bigma owners) & i was wondering how you found it.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2005
    Gus,

This post might help you understand why Andy hasn't posted any Bigma pics;

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=59586&postcount=19

FWIW, I agree with you that the Bigma can be a bit soft. But, I bet I can get better results with a tripod. Still, I believe it will come in 3rd behind the 400mm F5.6 and the 100-400mm push/pull for sharpness. And it is a LOAD to handhold. Which contributes to image softness (cuz of shake). Anyhow, it is more versatile than the 400mm and quite a bit cheaper than the 400mm or the 100-400mm. I'm still happy I got it. Other than if a 500mm F4, or a 400mm F2.8 fall into my lap (wow, that would hurt...lol) thE Bigma will have to do for now :-)

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero