40 seconds for slides show to launch on homepage

jenweavernjjenweavernj Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
edited June 4, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hello!

Ever since I added the slideshow to my homepage (which I love having) I've been very upset with the response time for the slide show to load.

Today I clocked it at 40 seconds for the slide show to load and I'm at work with a superfast connection.

What are the capabilities of a slideshow? What I mean is, are there some hidden rules, hints or tricks I should be aware of to NOT have this issue? Is there a limit to the amound of photos I should have scrolling?

I have feeling when people are going to my website they aren't even seeing the slideshow because it takes so long to load. They are probably going right to the gallery link thinking that I have large black blank homepage with a menu bar and banner at the top (and that's it)...and I really don't want that to be the first impression of my site.

Please let me some advice on how to stop this issue from happening.

Thanks,

Jen

www.jenweaverphotography.com
Jen Rinaldi

Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm | Minolta 35-105mm

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Please let me some advice on how to stop this issue from happening.

It's got to be Browser or ISP/connection related. I just went to your site, and the slides started instantly for me, Fasterfox clocked it at 2.3 seconds for the slides to start ne_nau.gif
  • jenweavernjjenweavernj Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    It's got to be Browser or ISP/connection related. I just went to your site, and the slides started instantly for me, Fasterfox clocked it at 2.3 seconds for the slides to start ne_nau.gif

Thanks Andy for checking into this for me. I'll keep testing it on different connections. I'm glad to hear that when you went on my site it popped right up, fast.

I may have been all worried for nothing.

Maybe we're having network trouble/slowness here at work....everything else on the net just seemed to be moving so fast....
    Jen Rinaldi

Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm | Minolta 35-105mm

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    FWIW, it took maybe 3 or 4 seconds to show the first image for me. Looks good, too - thumb.gif
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Even here over in Germany it seemed fine for me. Just around 4 seconds.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • DalyDaly Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Hi Jen,
    I'm new but saw your question and just checked. It came up fast for me too.
    Just a couple of seconds. (Love your photos too btw)
  • jenweavernjjenweavernj Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Thanks all! It's very appreciated that you all took time to test this out for me. I never expected that and it was a wonderful surprise!

Now, I feel 100 times better!!!

THANKS!!! bowdown.gif
    Jen Rinaldi