Black and White with 30D???

GinnyGinny Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited June 4, 2007 in Cameras
OK ... I give up! I looked through my manual a few times and searched this site all day yesterday. I know it has to be simple since it's a piece of cake with my Powershot S70. Can anyone point me in the right direction for what button to push ... apperently it's just beyond me! Thanks! :D

Comments

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Personally I would do the conversion in post instead of in-camera, it gives you much more control that way. I'm not actually sure there is a b/w mode on the 30D, either...headscratch.gif
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Ginny wrote:
    OK ... I give up! I looked through my manual a few times and searched this site all day yesterday. I know it has to be simple since it's a piece of cake with my Powershot S70. Can anyone point me in the right direction for what button to push ... apperently it's just beyond me! Thanks! :D

lol.... go to menu and scroll to the picture styles and then to Monochrome..( i believe its called monochrome) and you should be good to go... but i dont think it willl work in green box mode.. if i remember correctly put the cam in like AV or TV or M or even P mode first then look in the menu.
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
    edited June 4, 2007
    Try menu -> picture style -> monochrome.

Hey, Zacker beat me to it! :D
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Personally I would do the conversion in post instead of in-camera, it gives you much more control that way. I'm not actually sure there is a b/w mode on the 30D, either...headscratch.gif

Actually, there is ...sorta... Look at page 57 of the manual under Picture Styles. You can set it to monochrome. However, I agree, I think B/W is best achieved in post-processing.

on edit ... Man, you guys are fast; we must have been in a race to reply!
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • GinnyGinny Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    MONOCHROME!!!! Ah, thanks! You guys are probably right about the post B&W, but I only have Canon's Digital Photo Pro that came with the camera. I don't have photoshop yet. I'm waiting on my new computer to ship!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 4, 2007
    While doing B&W conversions in PS can be lovely, the Monochrome picture styles can work rather well also - particularly if you shoot with one of the filter modes - for instance an orange or dark red filter which will give dramatic skies.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Plus, it helps to shoot in monochrome mode to get an idea of what the photo looks like in B&W and if you shoot in RAW you don't have to commit to the B&W image since the RAW file is still the original full-color capture that you can convert later. Or even do RAW+JPG and the JPG will be B&W in addition to the full color RAW file.
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 4, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Sizam wrote:
    Plus, it helps to shoot in monochrome mode to get an idea of what the photo looks like in B&W and if you shoot in RAW you don't have to commit to the B&W image since the RAW file is still the original full-color capture that you can convert later. Or even do RAW+JPG and the JPG will be B&W in addition to the full color RAW file.

This is the important thing to keep in mind - with RAW, you "have your cake and eat it too", because everything is there.

In the DPP software, pull up the full RAW image, and select Monochrome.

If you shoot RAW, it doesn't matter what your 30D is set at (it can be set for Monochrome) - the RAW file always contains the colour information - only JPEGS are missing this info. Just select any mode but B/W in DPP, and the colour rendition you want is there, even if shot in B/W.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • GinnyGinny Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Great information! Thanks so much! RAW it is then ... if I think I'll like a composition in B&W. Very good to know!
    edited June 4, 2007
    Glenn NK wrote:
    In the DPP software, pull up the full RAW image, and select Monochrome.
    Cool, good to know!thumb.gif