Options

To SLR or not to SLR, that is the question

2»

Comments

• Options
    Josh125Josh125 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    My two cents, eventhough I'm not even close to an expert. I struggled with what to buy before a fantastic trip to Hawaii. I ended up with a sd800is, mainly for the IS part, 28mm lens, and it being ultra compact. The camera takes amazing day time pics, no question. It struggles at dusk/dark which I knew going in, but rather dissapointing dusk pics....I mean hey, everyone takes sunset pics in Hawaii. The other thing was shutter lag, I missed some shots waiting for the camera to catch up. Again, expected but a drag nun the less.

Also, for some reason even in bright sun is overexposed horribly some pictures. It looked like pixelation, or smudgy for lack of a better term. Not the whole picture, just aspects.

If I can convince the wife to let me updgrade, I'm going the SLR route.
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    I love how a lot of Dslr users bash on the P&S crowd.rolleyes1.gif Funny how some things work out, Magnum photographer Alex Majoli was also laughed at by his peers when he switched to P&S cameras.

Now if your dead set on bringing a Dslr, I'd definitely go with at least a D200 just for the sealing alone(not that it makes much sense without sealed glass[no idea of Nikons offerings]).

If it were me going(yes, I'm jealous also), I'd go with a couple of P&Ss' and not worry about my gear and enjoy the trip. I'd rather the peace of mind of not being a potential target with pricey gear.

If I had to go with a Dslr, it would be a 1 series(classic/MkII/MkII N) and the 28-300mm L IS and not have a care in the world if it rained while out shooting.

As a matter of fact, if I hadn't just picked up my 300mm 2.8L IS it would have been a MkII N and the 28-300 sitting in my bag now.

Anyhow, either way you go with this, I can't wait to see some pics.thumb.gif
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    I love how a lot of Dslr users bash on the P&S crowd.rolleyes1.gif Funny how some things work out, Magnum photographer Alex Majoli was also laughed at by his peers when he switched to P&S cameras.

I haven't read anything that gets to "bashing" P&S. I have read opinions on the strengths and weakeneses of each format. When picking a P&S, you need to make sure IS is real and not tricked out ISO. That's not bashing. If I were going on a once in lifetime trip, I would pick a DSLR if i could only take one. I would rather have both as they can complement each other.
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    Not to dwell to far OT, but in my post I was referring to many Dslr/Slr shooters I've come across in my life. The way how some individuals(thankfully I've yet to see it here) act in a smug manner towards anyone that doesn't shoot with comparable gear as they do.

At the end of the day, it's just a tool. So long as it gets the job done, it's all that matters.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    Northern MonkeyNorthern Monkey Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    Stick with your Nikon SLR, and take a load of rolls of film. A good film, well exposed,will give better resolution, colour reproduction and contrast to a Digital SLR. Its a bit more expensive than digital, but a lot cheaper than buying a new dSLR.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    Stick with your Nikon SLR, and take a load of rolls of film. A good film, well exposed,will give better resolution, colour reproduction and contrast to a Digital SLR. Its a bit more expensive than digital, but a lot cheaper than buying a new dSLR.

Nonsense. I'll bet the vast majority of users here will disagree. At this point digital has gotten to the point that it's six of one or half-dozen of the other. There is a different "feel" to a digital image from a film image, but there's no significant advantage to resolution, color, or contrast. If there were, the pros wouldn't be dumping their film gear as fast as they can.
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    Nonsense. I'll bet the vast majority of users here will disagree. At this point digital has gotten to the point that it's six of one or half-dozen of the other. There is a different "feel" to a digital image from a film image, but there's no significant advantage to resolution, color, or contrast. If there were, the pros wouldn't be dumping their film gear as fast as they can.

15524779-Ti.gif Plus, there are plenty of advantages that dSLR's have for in the moment shooting.

Much larger shooting capacity without changing rolls or cards
    Change ISO on a per picture basis, instead of a per roll basis
    Memory cards are smaller and lighter than film.
    Easier to create "backups" of your pictures incase of loss.

Of course film has it's advantages as well, but that's another thread! :D

If it were me going on this type of a trip I would take both. I would take a dSLR with one telezoom, one wide angle, one midrange zoom, and one low light. THen I would also take a P&S Superzoom for the video and ease of use aspects. It owuld be more to carry, but as someone else pointed out, if it is a once in a lifetime trip, I want to get all the pictures I can in every way possible!

I must say I am jelous! Good Luck with it! clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    If it were me going on this type of a trip I would take both. I would take a dSLR with one telezoom, one wide angle, one midrange zoom, and one low light. THen I would also take a P&S Superzoom for the video and ease of use aspects.
    Heh, heh. Admirable plan, but would you take any clothes or toiletries? :D I'm going on an African safari in August, and I have a one bag, 20kg limit for a two week trip. There is no way I could afford the weight of all those camera components.
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    Heh, heh. Admirable plan, but would you take any clothes or toiletries? :D I'm going on an African safari in August, and I have a one bag, 20kg limit for a two week trip. There is no way I could afford the weight of all those camera components.

Lol, you have to get your priorities straight! You are a photographer first and foremost. You are a human being a distant second. While a human may need clothing and toiletries, a photographer casts off these burdens in favor of more gear!! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    While a human may need clothing and toiletries, a photographer casts off these burdens in favor of more gear!!
    :lol4
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    We had an SLR in Yellowstone, we were absolute NOOBs with it, got some good stuff but not nearly what we could have.

So, if you're going SLR, get it well in advance, learn to control it and use it, then shoot RAW in the field.

When we return, we'll have the SLRs, but also a Canon Powershot S series. That will be done because grab-and-shoot opportunities we don't want the size/bulk of the SLR around, and we don't want to carry the gear around all the time anyway. And as you've found, that S series is no slouch, plus if I lose it, break it, take it on a river raft and it gets wet, well, that's OK, whereas the SLRs, if not properly equipped......

Having said that, the SLRs will be the front-line for capturing great images which no P&S can approach.

Glad to see you're thinking about both setups -- I think that's a great idea.

You're lucky to be able to do the trip; recc. you have a way to upload results somewhere to archive them as you travel!
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007

While it was true perhaps even a few years ago, the news about film being better than digital is old news and is out-dated.

Don't take this as a knock on film, I just went digital in Sept 06, and I loved colour slides, but I won't bother scanning hundreds of slides because I can retake most of them better, quicker and cheaper.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    epettiepetti Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    S. Horton wrote:
    We had an SLR in Yellowstone, we were absolute NOOBs with it, got some good stuff but not nearly what we could have.

So, if you're going SLR, get it well in advance, learn to control it and use it, then shoot RAW in the field.

You're lucky to be able to do the trip; recc. you have a way to upload results somewhere to archive them as you travel!

Great advice. Thanks. I was thinking about for an SLR, I really should be thinking ahead for buying it. Any idea what the general release schedule is for these cameras? The D80 has been out for about 6 months now, and my trip is in about a year and a half. Worth waiting for the next model whatever that ends up being?

So, in regards to uploading, I can upload my pictures to smugmug on the road (is it easy to bulk download them to my computer, though, and would I be able to upload RAW), and I could carry a USB cable with me to transfer, but are you thinking needing this to share with people on the way, as backup, or so I don't run out of space? If it's just a space issue, I'll probably buy a few 2GB or higher cards -- memory is cheap and small these days.

Ernie
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Lol, you have to get your priorities straight! You are a photographer first and foremost. You are a human being a distant second. While a human may need clothing and toiletries, a photographer casts off these burdens in favor of more gear!! rolleyes1.gif

:lol Yup. You only stink while you're there--and only after a while. The photos are forever. mwink.gif

I'd even do one better and try to figure a way to cram my 645Pro rig along...mmmm 6cm x 4.5cm negatives. bowdown.gif T-shirts & shorts don't take much room or weigh much, and you can wash one while wearing another, 2 sets is plenty! deal.gif
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2007
    Well, I finished part one of my purchase. I just got a Canon Powershot S5 IS. Love it so far, but I'm going to Mammoth this weekend for some hiking, so I should have a much better feel for it after that. Will post pictures from the trip when I get back. At some point when I have money again I'm also planning on getting a Nikon D80, whether or not I end up actually taking it with me on my world trip, I'd love to have it for other occasions. The S5 is definitely coming with me on the world trip. Unbeatable flexibility in a compact size, bar none, including an SLR.
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2007
    epetti wrote:
    I just got a Canon Powershot S5 IS. ... The S5 is definitely coming with me on the world trip. Unbeatable flexibility in a compact size, bar none, including an SLR.
    I think that is a great choice. (Of course, I'm a little biased since I just bought an S5 IS for my wife, to take on our African safari that starts in a week.)

Since my son is taking my PowerShot for underwater shooting though (leaving his S3 IS at home), I'm going to take and use my wife's Digital Rebel.

Thanks for letting us know what you decided to do.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2007
    As promised I've posted my first set of pictures using the S5 on the Journeys forum under Mammoth Lakes hike (or something like that), if anyone's interested. Really great camera. My only complaint is the lens cap pops loose a bit too easily.

Ernie

I think that is a great choice. (Of course, I'm a little biased since I just bought an S5 IS for my wife, to take on our African safari that starts in a week.)

Since my son is taking my PowerShot for underwater shooting though (leaving his S3 IS at home), I'm going to take and use my wife's Digital Rebel.

Thanks for letting us know what you decided to do.