Options

Asheville Aces Hockey, tried something new, comments.

blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited February 11, 2005 in Sports
Tried something new tonight, set a custom WB this time, but for some reason it messed with the Ice, but the shirts came out great. Also found the AI Servo mode, man that is nice :rofl, and last but not least, I'm trying to crop tighter, so let me know what you think about them.

15680861-M.jpg

15680989-M.jpg

15681149-M.jpg

15681350-M.jpg

15681411-M.jpg

15681548-M.jpg

The rest can be seen here Asheville Aces 2/10/2005

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    very nice. if i could only have one or the other, i'd choose white white jerseys. the ice is most likely not pure white anyhow, though the shirts look it.

nice work!
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    In years of doing natural stone work ... the hardest color to make a patch of stone (marble, onyx,granite) was always white. So many shades.
    #5 is my fav of the ones you have posted here.

Thanks for sharing

Tim
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2005
    andy wrote:
    very nice. if i could only have one or the other, i'd choose white white jerseys. the ice is most likely not pure white anyhow, though the shirts look it.

nice work!
    Thanks Andy, I prefer the shirts to be white also. And your right the ice isn't a perfect white.

Thanks, I really like #5 also
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    Thanks Andy, I prefer the shirts to be white also. And your right the ice isn't a perfect white.

Thanks, I really like #5 also
    Wow Huge improvement ( Personally I like to white balance of the home jerseys too, off sets the white from the jerseys and the slight off white from the ice. Somepeople use other methods like a gray card, but I would rather the two whites are different so its easier to tell).

Did you shoot some stuff from above the glass, it looked like the some of the goalie shots were.

Alot of them too were alot sharper and less noisey so that is a improvement too and nice on the cropping tighter (yeah I strugged with it too i was throughly convinced that all there appendages needed to be in the photo. I have since gotten over that ne_nau.gif)

Some of the phots are a little fuzzy, I dont know if there is anyway to speed up the shutter ( I try for hockey to go no lower than 500 for action stuff) and one of the goalie shots on the last page is over exposed a bit, I know I have to be careful to remeber about that when I move from behind the glass to above it (or no glass).

But I definatly see a big jump than from the last couple of games, keep up the good work and you had some good reaction shots....like with the refs...but start thinking faces faces faces....

Now where is the love for JD?
    14729628-M-1.jpg
    (also a good reason not to put the camera down when the action stops)
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2005
    winger wrote:
    Wow Huge improvement ( Personally I like to white balance of the home jerseys too, off sets the white from the jerseys and the slight off white from the ice. Somepeople use other methods like a gray card, but I would rather the two whites are different so its easier to tell).
    Thanks, I'm gonna try it again tonight with the custom WB and see how it goes.
    Did you shoot some stuff from above the glass, it looked like the some of the goalie shots were.
    50 or so where shot behind the glass, the rest from above, which is maybe 15-20' above the rink.
    Alot of them too were alot sharper and less noisey so that is a improvement too and nice on the cropping tighter (yeah I strugged with it too i was throughly convinced that all there appendages needed to be in the photo. I have since gotten over that ne_nau.gif)
    Yea after reading the requirments for that I figured I'd try something different.
    Some of the phots are a little fuzzy, I dont know if there is anyway to speed up the shutter ( I try for hockey to go no lower than 500 for action stuff) and one of the goalie shots on the last page is over exposed a bit, I know I have to be careful to remeber about that when I move from behind the glass to above it (or no glass).
    Thats the problem, I'm shooting with my 70-200L f/4 lens becuase I don't have anything faster, I plan to purchase something faster if I can sell my digital rebel, but that this point only other thing I can is my 50mm and it isn't going to work.
    But I definatly see a big jump than from the last couple of games, keep up the good work and you had some good reaction shots....like with the refs...but start thinking faces faces faces....
    Hard to get faces when your above, if I could get them to move me to a place on the ground. I'm going to try to get them to cut some holes for me to shoot through.
    Now where is the love for JD?
    (also a good reason not to put the camera down when the action stops)
    Yea I learnt that last night, with 1 sec on the clock we had a face off and we scored to win 4-3 over the other team. I had already starting packing up.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 11, 2005
    Like it, like it, like it ^5
    You're right. The uni's look fantastic thumb.gifthumb.gif I dunno why the ice looks yellow in some of the shots headscratch.gif Maybe it's the same phenomenon that causes one players skin to look great and anothers to look jaundiced? I see that in my pics sometimes. Given the choice though, gimme white uniforms and yellow ice any dayrolleyes1.gif I really like the tight crops too. You still managed to get the puck in the frame too. WTG!!

Very nice results and thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2005
    You're right. The uni's look fantastic thumb.gifthumb.gif I dunno why the ice looks yellow in some of the shots headscratch.gif Maybe it's the same phenomenon that causes one players skin to look great and anothers to look jaundiced? I see that in my pics sometimes. Given the choice though, gimme white uniforms and yellow ice any dayrolleyes1.gif I really like the tight crops too. You still managed to get the puck in the frame too. WTG!!

Very nice results and thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    Thanks Steve, I'm gonna try a few things tonight and see how they work out.