A Texas wedding....

ShannonHeatShannonHeat Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited June 7, 2007 in Weddings
Here a a few from a wedding June 4th. It was extremely overcast, so I did the best I could with the little bit of light I had. C/C is welcomed and encouraged.

1)
Hooker%20Wedding%20424copy.jpg?imgmax=512

2)
Hooker%20Wedding%20427copy.jpg?imgmax=512
Shannon :D
Canon Digital Rebel XTI, 430ex, sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro, a crummy kit lens, 4gb cf, and tons of batteries.
www.heatonphotography.net
http://picasaweb.google.com/heatonphotography
www.myspace.com/heatonphotography

Comments

• RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    I'm no expert on wedding photography, but I think that photoshoping out the tan lines on her shoulder would help. The glaring light on her forehead in the second is not good either.

Others will most certainly have more to offer:D
  • ShannonHeatShannonHeat Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Ok guys, seriously, don't just look. I need your input, I feel something is a little off on my color, but can't quite seem to correct it. All suggestions are welcome. Like I said, a storm was about to blow in (15 minutes after these were shot) and it was extremely dark and overcast.

Thanks in advance!
    Canon Digital Rebel XTI, 430ex, sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro, a crummy kit lens, 4gb cf, and tons of batteries.
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    For #1 I think you should process out the lights in the upper right part of the image. I can't figure out if it is a distant building or something but it looks odd.

The both look a little flash struck. Do you have a pocket bouncer? Not sure if it would have helped much in your lighting but it is a cheap accessory to pick up.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Shannon, what a cute couple and I really love the pose, you could shoot from different angles and it still works. They're obviously comfortable with you and you elicited some warm, natural expressions from them....well done!

I have learned so much from these forums, and my work has improved mostly due to the kindness of strangers on this forum, so I hope you take the following in the spirit it's intended...to help others the way I've been helped! (why just a week or so ago, I called Scott Quier in a panic, and he helped talk me through a perplexing exposure situation before a wedding). ;)

With only two images here, its hard to give strong critique, but I'll go with what's here. You're using a kit lens outdoors, which forces you to shoot at small apertures and everything's in focus. You might try the 50mm 1.8 just to give you some freedom in these situations, it's pretty cheap and if you focus manually, it does pretty well.

Also, check out slow sync in the 430 ex manual. That would enable the flash to illuminate the subjects, while leaving the shutter open long enough to expose the background, (but not quite enough for motion blur) giving a more even lightfall and diminishing the flash shadows you're seeing.

I've not had great luck with diffusers outdoors, but I also haven't tried them in very dark situations such as this.

Even if you can't slow synch, I would use flash exposure compensation to underexpose the subjects just slightly, so they're not so bright white in the dark.

Other than that, I think you did a great job. I'll leave other experts to evaluate skin tones...I need a lot of work in that area myself! A word of caution about the tan lines...I encountered this a lot recently and I figure a girl looks in the mirror, she sees they're there and chooses to go strapless anyway. It takes a while to blend skin believeably, and if she doesn't ask, then I wouldn't bother. Otherwise, you may get stuck Psing an entire wedding's worth of tan lines. Self tanner is a lot cheaper! rolleyes1.gif

Let's see some more!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited June 4, 2007
    I re-did this a little. Am I heading in the right direction?
    Hooker%20Wedding%20427copy2.jpg?imgmax=512
    quark wrote:
    For #1 I think you should process out the lights in the upper right part of the image. I can't figure out if it is a distant building or something but it looks odd.

The both look a little flash struck. Do you have a pocket bouncer? Not sure if it would have helped much in your lighting but it is a cheap accessory to pick up.
  • wesleytwesleyt Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Shannon,

Yes, that one looks much better to me.

Excellent work!

- Wes
    edited June 4, 2007
    Thank you, it looks better to me too:D . It's getting there..hehe.
    wesleyt wrote:
    Shannon,

Yes, that one looks much better to me.

Excellent work!

- Wes
    edited June 4, 2007
    Here's another. Any idea on how to get that car out of the background?
    Hooker%20Wedding%20422copy.jpg?imgmax=512
    edited June 4, 2007
    Thank you so much for your input:D . They were the best I've worked with yet. I'm working towards a better lens. It's a little difficult to scrape together that cash, but I've got my eye on one. I think it will make my life a little easier, especially in post. However for now, I work with what I've got, and try my hardest. BTW, you are right on about those tan lines. She even remarked how funny it was when she was getting dressed!rolleyes1.gif
    urbanaries wrote:
    Shannon, what a cute couple and I really love the pose, you could shoot from different angles and it still works. They're obviously comfortable with you and you elicited some warm, natural expressions from them....well done!

I have learned so much from these forums, and my work has improved mostly due to the kindness of strangers on this forum, so I hope you take the following in the spirit it's intended...to help others the way I've been helped! (why just a week or so ago, I called Scott Quier in a panic, and he helped talk me through a perplexing exposure situation before a wedding). ;)

With only two images here, its hard to give strong critique, but I'll go with what's here. You're using a kit lens outdoors, which forces you to shoot at small apertures and everything's in focus. You might try the 50mm 1.8 just to give you some freedom in these situations, it's pretty cheap and if you focus manually, it does pretty well.

Also, check out slow sync in the 430 ex manual. That would enable the flash to illuminate the subjects, while leaving the shutter open long enough to expose the background, (but not quite enough for motion blur) giving a more even lightfall and diminishing the flash shadows you're seeing.

I've not had great luck with diffusers outdoors, but I also haven't tried them in very dark situations such as this.

Even if you can't slow synch, I would use flash exposure compensation to underexpose the subjects just slightly, so they're not so bright white in the dark.

Other than that, I think you did a great job. I'll leave other experts to evaluate skin tones...I need a lot of work in that area myself! A word of caution about the tan lines...I encountered this a lot recently and I figure a girl looks in the mirror, she sees they're there and chooses to go strapless anyway. It takes a while to blend skin believeably, and if she doesn't ask, then I wouldn't bother. Otherwise, you may get stuck Psing an entire wedding's worth of tan lines. Self tanner is a lot cheaper! rolleyes1.gif

Let's see some more!
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    I tried a lil. Hope you don't mind. Just a little levels adjustment in zoombrowser. Maybe could use a smidge more red or something.
    Love the boots! :D

FOr the other one, I would clone the plant life up over the car.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    I tried my hand at copying pieces of the fence from the right hand side, then burning in some shadows to distract from the light coming through the gate, and then a tighter crop overall. see what you think!!! Love this shot!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited June 4, 2007
    Hooker%20Wedding%20413copy.jpg?imgmax=512
    edited June 4, 2007
    Here's second
    just wondering if you shot RAW. forgot to crop out the top.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    It's hard to fully critic without the exif data.

Overall the backgrounds are too dark. A longer shutter speed is called for in both shots. The flash is way too strong for my tastes also, although it would probably be a great flash exposure if the background was about 1.5 stops lighter. You still have lots of detail in the dress and thats great!

The poses are nice and the faces look quite natural, so they must have been very comfortable with you. Good Job on that!

On the second one your inflating their heads with a too-close wide angle shot. Back up a little more and zoom in and the image won't distort so much. This is a little nit-picky though, because some folks like this effect as long as it's not used too much, and others still don't even notice it.

I second the canon 50/1.8. You really cannot beat this lens anywhere for under a 100 bucks. If you look they pop up here in the flea market for 50 or 60 dollars all the time. Even for 80 bucks new is dirt cheap for this lens. You simply cannot be without a fast 50 mm lens if you want to do natural light portraits. That wide aperture will let you blur the background also. Just be careful to get the eyes in focus and let everything else fall away.
    In other words, get this lens! You won't regret it!

Also go here, and start reading; http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/ Your location portraits will thank you for it!

And if you decide against doing off camera flash, then definately look into a flash bracket. It will get rid of the shadows behind your subjects...

Good luck!
    -=Tim=-
    edited June 4, 2007
    If anyone is interested, I can email the originals to you with the larger format. I use picasa as a gallery, and my images lose a lot of their data when I upload. Just a thought. You can pm me with your email address, if you'd like. Thanks guys!

:D
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    I think you've gotten some great advice so I won't add....

But what I will add is that the lens that Lynne is talking about is less than $100 and is worth literally every penny. Until I upgraded it, it was truly my favorite lens - and one I recommend to everyone. You can get some amazing shallow DOF shots with very little light - and it is just so light and easy to use! Definitely check it out. (I think I got one for about $80, but it's been a while.)

Great job! Keep it up.... Can't wait to see more!
  • DesmondDesmond Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Well I finally got broadband and can now start looking at other peoples pictures too ! With all due respect you had a very difficult situation with low light and different skin tones . It's not easy getting the right exposure for a black suit and a white dress - two extremes - especially when flash is involved . I would really agree about a faster lens . I thought my nikon 18-200 was just the greatest until I got a 17-50 f2.8 and a 70-200 f2.8 and the difference is amazing . Just a bit of maths , f 2.8 lets in 4 times as much light as f 5.6 . f1.8 lets in 10X as much light as f5.6 ! I have the 50mm f1.8 but wouldn't mind something a bit wider with that aperture for more versatility ....
    Nikon D80 , D50 , SB600 , SB800 , Nikon 18-200VR , Tamron 28-75 di 2.8 , Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 , Nikon 50mm 1.8 . Tamron 17-50 f2.8 , Nikon 70-200 VR f2.8 .
    edited June 5, 2007
    Thanks all, I live in the middle of nowhere, in between cornfields...lol, so it's pretty difficult to run around the corner and grab a lens. I have another wedding this weekend, so I think a trip into Austin is much needed :D. You all seem pretty fond of the 50mm 1.8, so I think I'll go for that. I am working on a 70-200 f2.8L but no is. I should have the money for it sometime this week, hopefully (wish me luck).
    I think you've gotten some great advice so I won't add....

But what I will add is that the lens that Lynne is talking about is less than $100 and is worth literally every penny. Until I upgraded it, it was truly my favorite lens - and one I recommend to everyone. You can get some amazing shallow DOF shots with very little light - and it is just so light and easy to use! Definitely check it out. (I think I got one for about $80, but it's been a while.)

Great job! Keep it up.... Can't wait to see more!
  • HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    That 70-200 is almost a must have for weddings as well. It will floor you with it's quality!

You will be selling your kit lens as fast as possible once you go with an L!

I also have the 17-40 F4L and would recomend that one to anyone as well. It is cheap as far as L glass goes, and gives you about the same coverage as your kit lens with alot more quality and a constant f4.

Also Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina make some fine glass as well. They are also very affordable with their best zooms in the 300-400 dollar range.

Your profile says "Throndale" but I assume that's Thorndale, right? You are not too far away from me here in College Station. Have you looked into a photographers guild? We have a pretty big one here in the Brazos Valley and have monthly meetings with a seminar at each meeting. Last month Doug Box took everyone out to his studio in Caldwell and taught his outdoor portrait light techniques....

-=Tim=-
    edited June 5, 2007
    I'd suggest you don't let a wedding be the first place you test the 50 1.8. Mine likes to hunt a tad and you may want to practice with it because of that and the fixed focal length. Also I suggest the lens hood. On a sunny day or near a bright window it may help so you don't end up with pictures like this:

1. w/o hood
    IMG_0086%20(Medium).jpg

2. w/
    IMG_0090%20(Medium).jpg

dak.smugmug.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Thanks all, I live in the middle of nowhere, in between cornfields...lol, so it's pretty difficult to run around the corner and grab a lens. I have another wedding this weekend, so I think a trip into Austin is much needed :D. You all seem pretty fond of the 50mm 1.8, so I think I'll go for that. I am working on a 70-200 f2.8L but no is. I should have the money for it sometime this week, hopefully (wish me luck).
    If I may suggest, I believe you will kick youself if you don't save just a little longer and get the 70-200 IS version. If you are doing this as a business, you might consider a little financial leveraging to get the lens now rather than later. The lens won't make the photograph, but it can make the photograph POSSIBLE. There are just some photographs that you will find difficult to get without the IS, unless you are mounting the camera/lens on a tripod.

The IS is a life saver when you are shooting in low light and your action isn't moving too much. IS doesn't stop action, but it does a good job of stopping camera motion from showing in the photo. They say you get 2 or 3 stops of advantage with the IS. Based on my experience, I believe it.
    edited June 5, 2007
    Thanks guys! I wish I had a few more pennies to rub together rolleyes1.gif, but who doesn't. I guess I should make do with what I've got for now, and go from there. I feel like an artist who's run out of paint:cry . Anyway, I really do appreciate everyone's responses, thank you.
    If I may suggest, I believe you will kick youself if you don't save just a little longer and get the 70-200 IS version. If you are doing this as a business, you might consider a little financial leveraging to get the lens now rather than later. The lens won't make the photograph, but it can make the photograph POSSIBLE. There are just some photographs that you will find difficult to get without the IS, unless you are mounting the camera/lens on a tripod.

The IS is a life saver when you are shooting in low light and your action isn't moving too much. IS doesn't stop action, but it does a good job of stopping camera motion from showing in the photo. They say you get 2 or 3 stops of advantage with the IS. Based on my experience, I believe it.
    edited June 5, 2007
    Hey! You're right, I am in Thorndale (guess I should have checked my spelling) I go through Caldwell quite often. Keep me posted.
    HiSPL wrote:
    That 70-200 is almost a must have for weddings as well. It will floor you with it's quality!

You will be selling your kit lens as fast as possible once you go with an L!

I also have the 17-40 F4L and would recomend that one to anyone as well. It is cheap as far as L glass goes, and gives you about the same coverage as your kit lens with alot more quality and a constant f4.

Also Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina make some fine glass as well. They are also very affordable with their best zooms in the 300-400 dollar range.

Your profile says "Throndale" but I assume that's Thorndale, right? You are not too far away from me here in College Station. Have you looked into a photographers guild? We have a pretty big one here in the Brazos Valley and have monthly meetings with a seminar at each meeting. Last month Doug Box took everyone out to his studio in Caldwell and taught his outdoor portrait light techniques....

-=Tim=-
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Yep that's the way a bride should be (wearing boots) to her wedding. I did! Hahaha!rolleyes1.gif But then I'm a Texas gal!clap.gif
    edited June 5, 2007
    Haha, I think it's great!
    Seneca wrote:
    Yep that's the way a bride should be (wearing boots) to her wedding. I did! Hahaha!rolleyes1.gif But then I'm a Texas gal!clap.gif
    edited June 6, 2007
    Another from the wedding...
    I know it's "blown", but I think the look works well for this shot. It's a little mysterious. Am I nuts?
    Hooker%20Wedding%20095%20copy2.jpg?imgmax=512

Hooker%20Wedding%20101%20copy.jpg?imgmax=512
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    I really like the look of the second blown one from behind. I think the first one would work also if only her cheek wasn't blown out. But kudos to you for going for some non-traditional type of shots!! clap.gifclap.gif

Nice work!
    edited June 6, 2007
    Thank you:D . I was thinking about trying to fix that 1st shot, but I do like the second as well. Good to know there are others who appreciate a different approach.
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I really like the look of the second blown one from behind. I think the first one would work also if only her cheek wasn't blown out. But kudos to you for going for some non-traditional type of shots!! clap.gifclap.gif

Nice work!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    The blown cheek is worrisome, otherwise I really like the shots. I might suggest that you de-saturate the flowers in the first photo just a bit - they are very centered and detract attention from the primary focus of the photo, the bride.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    I really like your 2nd B&W! thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography