my first real digital "candid" images

brianbrian Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited February 12, 2005 in People
Earlier this year I tried real candid photography for the first time. I had been taking "candids" of people at patriotic protest events where people knew that they would be photographed. However, this is the first time I tried taking pictures of people on the bus that did not expect to be photographed. I was inspired, of course, by Andy William's subway pictures -- particularily one that I love of a very determined working class Black woman with what Andy described as "a game face".

I wanted to take environmental pictures that said "bus" as Andy's said "subway" so I tried to keep as much chrome as possible in the shot.

I forced myself to take these one day while in San Francisco. I am having a hard time getting myself out and about with my camera these days. I now am trying to force myself to get out and take candid pictures of the rich here in Portland. I mean they all have cell phones that they are so eager to use to call the cops and they tend to hang out on private property -- it is much more challenging.

*** Is anybody here interested in "shooting" the rich? Perhaps we could start a society for "shooting" the rich. ****

I'm working with a Sony 717 which with its swivel is good for taking pictures while it sits more or less innocently in your lap.

I'm new here and I am really surprised at the way this forum forces you to upload pictures (and just one per post) when it is connected with Smugmug and Smumug makes it so easy to link multiple pictures in to forum posts.

If you want to see the rest of this series (which does compare these working class bus candids to candids of the connected (at least the digitally connected) visit my web site:

http://rivertext.smugmug.com/

Comments

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 11, 2005
    Brian,

Nice pictures. Very moving. I like your energy and conviction. If you haven't already, you may enjoy seeing www.sorryeverybody.com
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    This is a shot of an 0zzie actor..Colin Friels. I thought it was him for sure.
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    brian wrote:
    I'm new here and I am really surprised at the way this forum forces you to upload pictures (and just one per post) when it is connected with Smugmug and Smumug makes it so easy to link multiple pictures in to forum posts.
    Hi Brian, welcome! wave.gif I really like that shot, looks like he has lots of things running through his mind.

As for posting images, read post #2 here. It will show you how to post as many images as you like.

So let's see some more!