Options

rainy day selective color?

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited June 7, 2007 in Landscapes
What do you think? Does this work?

159872705-L.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    crgphotographercrgphotographer Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Hi Elaine,

I certainly think it works wonders! That's a great shot and works very well with the selective colouring and spot on framing. Well done...!

/craig.
    craig coomans | crgphotography | automotive | landscape | motorsport | weddings
    [
    crgphotography.smugmug.com ]
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2007
    Hi Elaine,

I certainly think it works wonders! That's a great shot and works very well with the selective colouring and spot on framing. Well done...!

/craig.

Thank you very much! I know the selective coloring thing is often frowned upon and over-done, so I've been second guessing myself a bit. I guess it comes down to personal taste though. Thanks for your input!
    Elaine

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    Being the world reknowned expert that I am in all things photographic (yeah, and if you believe that one, I've got a nice bridge I'd like to sell you :D), I just gotta say the colorization is not working for me in this image. Don't know why, but it just isn't. I really like the photograph and think it just might stand on it's own in B&W.
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2007
    Being the world reknowned expert that I am in all things photographic (yeah, and if you believe that one, I've got a nice bridge I'd like to sell you :D), I just gotta say the colorization is not working for me in this image. Don't know why, but it just isn't. I really like the photograph and think it just might stand on it's own in B&W.

Thanks, Scott! I don't think you're the only one this isn't working for! :D I appreciate the feedback. Maybe I'll try a straight B&W. Or maybe not. It's growing on me! :D
    Elaine

• Options
    Dusty SensibaDusty Sensiba Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    I like
    I think it shows that the colored boat is newer than the other boats. Would be a good advertising shot or good for illustrating advancements in technology or craftsmanship.

It also has lots of room for a designer to put words in.

I think it's a good shot and edit.
  • Options
    annaelycmannaelycm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    It works for me. I like how it highlights that this boat is different from all the rest and brings a focal point to the shot.

Anna
  • Options
    jblaze5779jblaze5779 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 6, 2007
    I think the photo is wonderfull.
  • Options
    BRATCHBRATCH Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2007

I have to disagree.

It's the fun, exciting, sleek yellow kayak amongst the boring, old, large metal canoes. You make the photo B&W and at first glance the kayak is just another boat. It also kind of looks like the canoes are keeping the kayak from getting out in the water and having any fun.

I dig it the way it is.
    If they hate you they have a subscription. -- Bratch
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2007
    Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the continued feedback here...and more thumb.gif !

:D
    Elaine

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 7, 2007
    A B&W frame from the blue channel will display the yellow kayak as black among the silver aluminum boats. With a little editing, that might work rather well, and be less in your face than the yellow.?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    A B&W frame from the blue channel will display the yellow kayak as black among the silver aluminum boats. With a little editing, that might work rather well, and be less in your face than the yellow.?

OK...I think I know what you mean, but I have no idea how to do this. ne_nau.gif Working with PSE 5 here...
    Elaine