Edit This Caption only good for 1 or 2 tries?

oxy8384oxy8384 Registered Users Posts: 389 Major grins
edited June 5, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I am trying to edit the captions on the photos in a gallery styled as a slideShow. Everytime I change a caption and click 'update', the gallery reloads and starts over at image #1. I click 'pause', click to the image I want, and select 'Edit This Caption...'. I have only been able to edit 1 or two images before the photo tools menu stops responding. So far, the only fix I've found is 'leave it alone, try back a little later, repeat'. I thought it might have been because I have multiple browser tabs open to the site, all logged in, and more than one in the same gallery, but I've since closed all but one of my windows and still, no joy.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Bill:scratch

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Could you point us to the gallery? I'm having a little trouble imagining such a gallery.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • oxy8384oxy8384 Registered Users Posts: 389 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Could you point us to the gallery? I'm having a little trouble imagining such a gallery.

Sebastian

Doh! Here ya go...
    http://truemomentsphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/2932934

Thanks,

Bill
    edited June 5, 2007
    oxy8384 wrote:
    Right, I've never thought of forcing a gallery to slideshow - guess there's a first for everything. Well to reproduce your problems I've to make such a gallery on my own. I'll let you know.

Is this more a general pointer for smugmug so they can fix this? I mean you could change the gallery setting to a different style, edit the captions and then change it back to slideshow. Or is there another reason for trying to do it the current hard way?

If you just want to quickly edit every caption without changing the gallery style use this link I put together for you. With it you can browse through the gallery in single photo view. It's hand made and not availiable as a link on your site. mwink.gif

Another thing: exactly in which browser did this happen?

Sebastian

EDIT: Yeah, the 'edit caption' also works for me just once in a gallery forced to slideshow style. I tested it in FF 1.5 and get the following JS error in the JS error console:
    Error: document.image_tools42002001 has no properties
    Source File: http://rainforest1155b.smugmug.com/gallery/920389/2/42002001
    Line: 471
    It doesn't help if I pause the slideshow before starting to edit and advance manually.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • oxy8384oxy8384 Registered Users Posts: 389 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Sebastian,
    Thanks so much. Lots to digest.
    1) I am more curious as to why it wouldn't work or whether or not it is supposed to.
    2) I know I can work around it by switching the gallery view to something else, editing my captions, and then switching back. But if anyone looks at that gallery while I'm editing, it will not be displayed the way I want it.
    3) Really? People don't normally force a gallery into slideshow view? I'm feeling very self-conscious, now. rolleyes1.gif I just thought that since it was there... Geez! I hope it's not like using iframes or a (gasp!) goto statement!!:D
    4) Relieved to hear you reproduced it easily. I tried both NS7 and FF2...
    5) Dopey me - I never thought to look at the Java console. grrrrrr.......thumb.gif

Thanks, as always,

Bill
    edited June 5, 2007
    oxy8384 wrote:
    1) I am more curious as to why it wouldn't work or whether or not it is supposed to.
    Alrighty, let's wait and see what the SM team has to say about it.
    2)[...] But if anyone looks at that gallery while I'm editing, it will not be displayed the way I want it.
    Right, that's also why I would never consider that a permananent solution. One thing that comes to my mind that when you're having a big gallery and don't want to bother with the problem - just use the bulk caption editing tool - no more page reloads necessary. At least until the problem is fixed.
    3) Really? People don't normally force a gallery into slideshow view? I'm feeling very self-conscious, now. rolleyes1.gif I just thought that since it was there... Geez! I hope it's not like using iframes or a (gasp!) goto statement!!:D
    Laughing.gif good one, I really hope that's not true. :D
    Well, I said I don't use it - yet - and I am hardly people.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero