Tamron or Sigma 17/18-50 2.8

jmaccs64jmaccs64 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited June 6, 2007 in Cameras
I need help in deciding which lens is better, any help?
I am going to purchase one....

Thanks

Comments

• Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    jmaccs64 wrote:
    I need help in deciding which lens is better, any help?
    I am going to purchase one....

Thanks

I'm another one that wants the answer rather than having one. This is the range I am dreaming of for a D60.

Jane
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 5, 2007
    For a D70, you might be interested in the following threads...

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/tamron_1750_28_nikon/index.htm

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_1850_28m_nikon/index.htm

The last line in the review of the Sigma 18-50 says "The Sigma offers lots of bangs for your bucks but the comparable Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP seems to be a better alternative."

I tend to favor Tamron over Sigma for APS lenses - they are usually smaller and lighter and compare very closely optically.ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 5, 2007
    I have the Sigma 18-50mm, EX DC (not the macro version) and, while I'm pretty satisfied with it, I would probably purchase the Tamron equivalent if I had to do it over again.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    I've never used the sigma but I have the Tamron and love it.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    Mornin' All,
    The May issue of Pop Photo called the new Sigma 18-50 2.8 Macro version "a stellar performer" and further stated that it is significantly better (optically) then the $1200 Nikon 17-55 2.8. It's available for $389 at sigmaforless.com.
    Good luck on your choice and have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • kmlkml Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    Sigma makes good glass, but I find the Tamron to be just a bit better for sharpness and the bokeh from the Tamrons is beautiful!
  • jmaccs64jmaccs64 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    sigmaforless.com
    Has anyone ever purchased from sigma for less? Are they reputable?

Thanks
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    kml wrote:
    Sigma makes good glass, but I find the Tamron to be just a bit better for sharpness and the bokeh from the Tamrons is beautiful!
    Mornin' All,
    Tamron does make good glass as well, (I use to have the Tammy 24-135) however, the review of the new Sigma seems to be a solid one at that. I read also on the net that the Sigma macro is a strong performer, based on early tests and opinions. It could also come down to whether you prefer Dodge, Ford or GM or, Sony, Mitsubishi or Toshiba, as they all make good products.The same principle applies.
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    jmaccs64 wrote:
    Has anyone ever purchased from sigma for less? Are they reputable?

Thanks
    I just went to www.sigma4less.com and www.sigmaforless.com

They appear to be the same site. In fact, www.resellerratings.com indicates that they are, indeed, the same reseller.

I believe I've read that Ziggy shops at and has recommended the first site many times.

If you go to this link, you can get an idea of their customer satisfaction level then compare that with B&H (here).

I'm thinking that if Sigma4Less has the price you like, you will probably not go wrong there.

YMMV
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    I have owned the Tamron in question and the Sigma 24-70 2.8 Macro and after very brief usage, went to the Canon 17-55 2.8 IS. Bottom line....I lost several hundred dollars trying to save several hundred dollars....the Canon is unmistakably sharper than the Tamron, focuses faster, and of course the IS is amazing. I've taken several tack sharp shots at 1/10, 50mm.

just my 0.02
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I have owned the Tamron in question and the Sigma 24-70 2.8 Macro and after very brief usage, went to the Canon 17-55 2.8 IS. Bottom line....I lost several hundred dollars trying to save several hundred dollars....the Canon is unmistakably sharper than the Tamron, focuses faster, and of course the IS is amazing. I've taken several tack sharp shots at 1/10, 50mm.

just my 0.02
    I've not owned either the Siggy or the Tammy, but I also have the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS and am very happy to confirm Lynne's statement about the sharpness of the lens. I also learned the same lesson Lynne did. Trying to save some $$, I ended up loosing $$ by going the "cheap" route. Somewhere I ran across something posted by Andy; to paraphrase, "Buy right, buy once." In the long run, you will be much happier saving your pennies for a little longer and buying the "good stuff."