Saving Gallery Customization Settings

rickbradrickbrad Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited June 7, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Does anyone know if I can save the sort settings and theme, etc. of a gallery to be the default when creating new galleries?
Rick Bradshaw

Self Proclaimed Amateur

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    Quick settings
    rickbrad wrote:
    Does anyone know if I can save the sort settings and theme, etc. of a gallery to be the default when creating new galleries?

If you go to the customize gallery page for any gallery and look at the top of that screen, you will see that you can save a gallery's settings as a "quick setting". You give it a name and it saves all that gallery's settings. Then, whenever you create a gallery, you can apply that quick setting to it right in the create gallery screen.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • rickbradrickbrad Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    Thanks for the tip. Apparently the theme is not one of the settings that is saved with quick settings. It has to be set explicitly or the theme will come in as smugmug default.

I would like if you could change the default settings for new gallery creation - maybe we could put in an "enhancement request"...
    Rick Bradshaw

Self Proclaimed Amateur
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    rickbrad wrote:
    Thanks for the tip. Apparently the theme is not one of the settings that is saved with quick settings.
    You're right - wasn't saved for me neither even when creating a new template. Looks like a bug to me.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    rickbrad wrote:
    Thanks for the tip. Apparently the theme is not one of the settings that is saved with quick settings. It has to be set explicitly or the theme will come in as smugmug default.

I would like if you could change the default settings for new gallery creation - maybe we could put in an "enhancement request"...

Do you realize that the theme is settable right in the new gallery creation screen? So, it only takes two clicks to set the theme when creating a new gallery. Having the theme be part of a quick setting would save those two clicks, but it's pretty quick the way it is.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited June 6, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Do you realize that the theme is settable right in the new gallery creation screen? So, it only takes two clicks to set the theme when creating a new gallery. Having the theme be part of a quick setting would save those two clicks, but it's pretty quick the way it is.
    But then I guess it also applies to the bulk settings. Pretty helpful when you want to change the theme of a couple dozen galleries or something like that.
    So it seems to be broken in terms of themes.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited June 6, 2007
    Why not just allow users' to set up and save the settings that they want new galleries to look like? Either a custom theme or one of the canned ones?

It just seems if you were going to set up a custom look, that you would want to have your galleries come up by default with the look you want, rather than having to make any selections (other than things that are going to be different in each gallery such as category and sub-category, if applicable) as you set one up.

I am too used to CAD programs such as AutoCAD and SolidWorks. They allow you to really streamline the workflow process because there are so many repetitive tasks in the typical workday. They also have a staff of a few hundred programmers as well, I realize...
    Rick Bradshaw

Self Proclaimed Amateur
    edited June 6, 2007
    rickbrad wrote:
    Why not just allow users' to set up and save the settings that they want new galleries to look like? Either a custom theme or one of the canned ones?
    I think smugmug intended that, but it turns out to just not work due to a bug I guess.
    It just seems if you were going to set up a custom look, that you would want to have your galleries come up by default with the look you want, rather than having to make any selections
    I believe that your predefined theme or look is automaticly selected when creating a gallery (=default in theme list). The topic is just about setting any other themes in bulk.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited June 7, 2007
    I reported as a bug over here. Anyone else who has more information on the bug, feel free to add them and help smugmug in fixing this.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    rickbrad wrote:

It just seems if you were going to set up a custom look, that you would want to have your galleries come up by default with the look you want, rather than having to make any selections (other than things that are going to be different in each gallery such as category and sub-category, if applicable) as you set one up.

I am too used to CAD programs such as AutoCAD and SolidWorks. They allow you to really streamline the workflow process because there are so many repetitive tasks in the typical workday. They also have a staff of a few hundred programmers as well, I realize...

If I understand what you are asking for, under the control panel, you can set the default theme so that any gallery that is not specifically set to something else, will use the specified theme. This way, if you want most or all of your galleries to be one style, you just change this one setting.

-Scott
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
    edited June 7, 2007
    scwalter wrote:
    If I understand what you are asking for, under the control panel, you can set the default theme so that any gallery that is not specifically set to something else, will use the specified theme. This way, if you want most or all of your galleries to be one style, you just change this one setting.

-Scott

Scott,

You were right on with what I was trying to accomplish, I had just not seen the option down there in the Control Panel. Even more cool, it changes all galleries (including the home page) that have not been specifically assigned a theme other than default.

Thanks,
    Rick Bradshaw

Self Proclaimed Amateur