Gallery Slideshows

HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited June 6, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Why are all my galleries now set to slideshow mode? I certainly didn't set them that way.
Tim

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    Why are all my galleries now set to slideshow mode? I certainly didn't set them that way.
    Can you give us the link to your page so we can check it out?
    I think you may have selected the slideshow style in your browser. You can change it back to the style of your choice by using the style selector which should be roughly in the top right corner if you haven't customized your page.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    Can you give us the link to your page so we can check it out?
    I think you may have selected the slideshow style in your browser. You can change it back to the style of your choice by using the style selector which should be roughly in the top right corner if you haven't customized your page.

Sebastian

Okay. I fixed it. Thank you. I hadn't noticed the drop-down theme menu in the upper-right corner. I know I didn't select the slideshow theme. headscratch.gif
    Tim
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    IIRC the last theme anyone chooses for a gallery stays with that gallery until changed. So if a random person is viewing your gallery and decides to view it in journal style, the next person that views it will also see it in journal style.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the way it works.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited June 6, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    IIRC the last theme anyone chooses for a gallery stays with that gallery until changed. So if a random person is viewing your gallery and decides to view it in journal style, the next person that views it will also see it in journal style.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the way it works.
    I thought it was your own last choice, not anyone's. If in fact it is anyone viewing your galleries, I would consider that a bug.

But - based on the test I just ran, it does look like it's your own last choice that sticks.

I just ran a test using 2 browsers, one signed in and one not. I viewed a gallery on the logged in browser (IE), and it defaulted to smugmug. I viewed the same gallery on the non-logged-in browser (Firefox), it also opened as smugmug. I changed it to slideshow. I clicked to another gallery, still in Firefox. It also opened as slideshow. That's what I expected, that the viewing mode would stay the same on that browser until I changed it again. I went back to IE. Clicked in the second gallery that I viewed in Firefox. IE still showed as smugmug.

I suspect the setting is kept as a browser cookie.

--- Denise
    edited June 6, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    The style selector just sets a cookie in your browser. Therefore other visitors won't interfere with your gallery styles. You can try that by selecting a style other than smugmug and then delete your cookies - now you should be back to the default.

Hope that helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    Thanks for the correction!
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    The style selector just sets a cookie in your browser. Therefore other visitors won't interfere with your gallery styles. You can try that by selecting a style other than smugmug and then delete your cookies - now you should be back to the default.

Hope that helps,
    Sebastian

I've always thought this was a mis-guided feature in Smugmug. How I want to view one gallery usually has nothing to do with how I want to view another gallery, even in the same user's account and even more so in a different user's account.

I wish I could disable this feature for my galleries so my viewers would always see my recommended viewing style, but be able to still change to one of the other styles and have that change only affect that gallery.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited June 6, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I wish I could disable this feature for my galleries so my viewers would always see my recommended viewing style, but be able to still change to one of the other styles and have that change only affect that gallery.
    I feel you need for improvement in this department. You can never give a suggestion for a view style, you always have to force it.

Thanks for bringing this up again,
    Sebastian

PS: Maybe it's time you put this in the feature request's again? mwink.gif
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    I feel you need for improvement in this department. You can never give a suggestion for a view style, you always have to force it.

Thanks for bringing this up again,
    Sebastian

PS: Maybe it's time you put this in the feature request's again? mwink.gif
    I've suggested it multiple times across multiple years. I know it's been discussed. They are clearly choosing to prioritize other things in front of it. Perhaps you should put it in feature requests since I've done it several times before.

What I'd like to see implemented is one new option added to the customize gallery screen that lets you pick a recommended style, but have it be the "default style" for that gallery and still let the user change the viewing style to something else (just for that gallery) with no affect on the viewing style of other galleries. The UI would still let you pick a style, but a separate option would let you say it is "recommended" as the "default" style, but it's not forced.

I guess there are several different possible ways to implement this but, whenever the user changes the viewing style to something other than the default for that gallery, they could add a gallery-specific cookie that contained the gallery ID and the preferred viewing style.

It could look like this:

Initial Gallery Style (drop-down list):
    Most recently used style by viewer
    Smugmug
    Smugmug Small
    Traditional
    Critique

[ ] Lock gallery style so viewer can't change it
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited June 6, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I've suggested it multiple times across multiple years. I know it's been discussed. They are clearly choosing to prioritize other things in front of it. Perhaps you should put it in feature requests since I've done it several times before.
    You're right. I'll look into posting a request.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero