Options

Challenge 32 (Rookie Alert!)

melmel Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
edited February 12, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here goes! My first post for a challenge..."Baby Blue".

Comments

• Options
    JennyJenny Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    What a beautiful baby! I am definately no professional so I am no help with any technical aspects. The only thing that really gets me is the one spot on the right... it looks like the blanket isn't covering that space. Otherwize, great job! Welcome to the challenges!
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    mel wrote:

Oh, this is so nice. Very nice lighting on that beautiful face. I would try to reshoot with the blanket going all the way out to the edge of the frame - such nice soft light. I love it.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Oh, this is so nice. Very nice lighting on that beautiful face. I would try to reshoot with the blanket going all the way out to the edge of the frame - such nice soft light. I love it.
    wow, that baby's so cute I could eat him (her? sorry hard to tell sometimes). Not that I make a habit of eating babies mind you rolleyes1.gif

Speaking of lighting, it is great across the face (except maybe the shadow on the forehead?) and across the blanket at the bottom and to the right but maybe the top left corner is a bit dark? I dunno, just struck me for some reason. I agree it may need to be re-shot to cover up the "hole" in the negative space to the right but overall this is a very nice shot. I could see you getting offers from lots of parents to shoot their kids. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2005
    Jenny wrote:
    What a beautiful baby! I am definately no professional so I am no help with any technical aspects. The only thing that really gets me is the one spot on the right... it looks like the blanket isn't covering that space. Otherwize, great job! Welcome to the challenges!
    Yeah, I'll try to reshoot a little more precisely. The "No Photoshop" rules didn't specify if cropping was OK, so I didn't. Thanks for your comments!
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2005
    wow, that baby's so cute I could eat him (her? sorry hard to tell sometimes). Not that I make a habit of eating babies mind you rolleyes1.gif

Speaking of lighting, it is great across the face (except maybe the shadow on the forehead?) and across the blanket at the bottom and to the right but maybe the top left corner is a bit dark? I dunno, just struck me for some reason.

Thanks for the input on the shadows. And glad to hear you aren't eating babies! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 11, 2005
    I agree; absolutely beautiful baby. And... in addition to points regarding lighting and "the hole", I would probably work the blanket in a way that only the main body of fabric shows... so lose the satin border - it just adds a distraction.

Nice job!
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    Great Photo
    mel wrote:
    Hi, Mel
    I think you are going to do fine. Don't forget to list the date with the picture when you enter it in the contest. Don't get discouraged if, you don't win a few photo contest. There are alot of Great photographers in this group.

Good Luck,
    Chuck Cassidy,
    Photo's by chuck: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/photosbychuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    No constructive comments, other than that photo just makes me laugh. :lol
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    I hate to say this, but isn't the baby the focal point? I am really confused on terminology.

The hole doesn't bother me, neither does the lighting, nor the satin something.
    The baby is gorgeous.clap.gif

I am just confused on how the blue could be the focal point. I had better go read what Andy said again.ne_nau.gif

ginger:)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    I think I may very well be wrong....... I am confused, not that it will really interfere with my entry, but I hate to critique wrong, so ignore me.ne_nau.gif

ginger again
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I hate to say this, but isn't the baby the focal point? I am really confused on terminology.

I am just confused on how the blue could be the focal point. I had better go read what Andy said again.ne_nau.gif

Ginger,
    The main color does not have to be the "focal point", it has to be the most prevalent color.
    Your blue is good Mel. Well done.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:

Actually, Ginger, you make a good point. He ended up being more of a focal point than I anticipated! I was really trying to draw out the deep blue of his eyes...maybe a little less of those cheeks, a little more blanket? Thanks for commenting!
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    I agree; absolutely beautiful baby. And... in addition to points regarding lighting and "the hole", I would probably work the blanket in a way that only the main body of fabric shows... so lose the satin border - it just adds a distraction.

Nice job!

Thanks, Angelo! I reshot with things arranged differently... thoughts on the new pic?
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    Beautiful Photo...
    mel wrote:
    Thanks, Angelo! I reshot with things arranged differently... thoughts on the new pic?

Beautiful child...
    This photo is so luscious looking (I'd have to agree with the "eat em up" comment, Laughing.gif!). Your baby (I assume it's yours, right?) is simply scrumptiuous (and I even had to look up how to spell it, Laughing.gif!).

I love the silky look of the blanket, the healthy glow of his skin, his sparkling bright eyes (that kid oughta be in pictures...oh, yeah...well, he is, Laughing.gif!). Whether you use this photo for the challenge or not...it's a great shot!
    ~Nee :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 12, 2005
    mel wrote:
    Adorable. And I like how the light and his gaze are focused to one side.
  • Options
    JennyJenny Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    This second shot is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!! (not that the first wasn't) The lighting is spectacular.clap.gif
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    mel wrote:
    oh yes, woman, you go girl! Soooo gorgeous. I agree with Angelo, the direction of the gaze, the angle, the closeness. I think you've accomplished the challenge!clap.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 12, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:

Re: First image..
    I think the reason it really works for the challenge to me Ginger, is that the color of the blanket and the baby's eyes are such a match. To me, that is what makes this image. I think in B&W it would lose a lot.

The aqua color here is the important part of the image = the same color in the blanket as in the baby's eyes. Anyone else agree with this viewpoint?
    I agree with the nits about the empty spot to the right and the satin border of the blanket and the shadow over the baby's forhead - but in spite of all that, I think this is a very effective use of color - the predominant aqua against the pink of the baby's skin.

Second Image
    I just saw you added the second image where the original complaints were corrected. Unfortunately for me, the color of the irises and the blanket no longer match now - hmmmm - if it was my image I'd 'shop if it I wasn't concerned about entering the Challenge. ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin