Options

Can anyone answer this?!?

JennyJenny Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
edited February 13, 2005 in Technique
I am stumped here. Can anyone explain to me how color filters for B&W film work? Technically speaking, if the film is designed to eliminate color from the picture then how does putting a color filter on the camera have any effect? Am I making any sense? How can a film that is designed not to show color suddenly have color just by placing more color in front of the lens?:dunno :scratch :dunno

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    I think this is a pretty easy question to answer (I hope!).

B/W film isn't designed to eliminate colour. It's designed to be sensitive to light. Period. It is made of a silver based emulsion that produces clear for black (no light) to black 100% white light.

So since it is simply reflecting its sensitivity to light (all colours), a filter will simply eliminate a portion of the spectrum of light normally hitting the film.

Just my guess and if I'm way off, someone please correct!

Brad
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2005
    That makes a lot of sense. It is like the light just clicked on in my head, thank you!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    Cool, I love questions which force me to learn. thumb.gif

Here's a technical but through explanation.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    Good article Sid thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    Yawn:snore , it's 2 am and Im trying to read that article (which is awsome by the way!:) ) I will definately have to look at it more in the morning when my eyes will focus again. I just wanted to say thanks for all the insight. 1drink.gif Jenny
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    Jenny wrote:
    Yawn:snore , it's 2 am and Im trying to read that article (which is awsome by the way!:) ) I will definately have to look at it more in the morning when my eyes will focus again. I just wanted to say thanks for all the insight. 1drink.gif Jenny
    a simple experiment is to take a shot with a yellow, an orange, and a red filter and compare just how much more contrasty the red filter photo produces compared to your yellow filter shot, or a non-filter shot. :) I didn't read the article, but what I do know is that it definitely affects contrast for sure. Of course, certain colors in your subject are affected, but I can never remember which ones are affected by which filter, lol. :)
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    a simple experiment is to take a shot with a yellow, an orange, and a red filter and compare just how much more contrasty the red filter photo produces compared to your yellow filter shot, or a non-filter shot. :)
    Depends what you're shooting. nod.gif

Color filters can do two things to B&W. One thing is to help separate colors which look different in color, but similar in B&W. The other thing is contrast.

As I understand it, a color filter in B&W blocks out its opposite color. So a red filter blocks out whatever the opposite color is to red. And so on for each color filter.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au