How do I do this...drop shadow where picture looks like it is floating

SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
edited June 6, 2007 in Finishing School
How do I accomplish this drop shadow where the picture looks like it is floating. I have tried it with adding a drop shadow under layer style but I cannot get it to look like this. Have done some research online to try and find out but just not hitting the mark on this one. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.dobbsphotography.com/content/030_large.html

Shane
www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 85mm 1.8
Canon 70-200L IS 2.8

Comments

• RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    What software are you using; e.g., photoshop, lightroom, etc.?

What steps are you taking and what settings are you using?

For photoshop you select make the canvas size larger than the main image layer (image - canvas size). Add a white fill layer (layer - new fill layer - solid color). Make sure that this fill layer is behind the image layer.

For the main image add a border (layer - layer style - blending options) or right-click on the image layer icon and select blending options. A simple outer bevel (size 5px) will replicate the border in the image in your link. You could also use a stroke (inside, grey color, 8-10px) in lieu of or in addition to the bevel.

Then add a drop shadow - use a normal blend mode with an opacity of 60-75%, an angle of about 140 degrees (to roughly replicate your link's image), distance 30px-50px, spread 15-25%, and size 60 px. The pixel settings really depend on the pixel dimensions of your image.

End result:

160297262-L.jpg
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    David thank you for replying and I apologize for not stating what software I use. Its CS2 and going to try your directions right now.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    Here's an old and simple method I sometimes show my students who have a variety of photo-editing software (it must allow layers and transparancy): you have your white background layer, above that you have the smaller-than-the-background photo itself (surrounding area is transparent), and above that a duplicate of the smaller-than-the-background photo layer... 3 layers. The topmost will remain your final visible photo. The middle layer gets its contrast and brightness adjusted so that the object (photo) is completely black. Throw on some Gaussian blur, move the object down and to the right a bit, and knock the layer opacity down a bit. That's it ... takes less than 30 seconds once you get the hang of it.

This method allows them to easily apply shadows to cut-out objects of all shapes, and in all positions.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 6, 2007
    I wrote a tutorial for drop shadows 3 years ago on dgrin.

It can be found here
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    Thanks so much for the quick replies. You guys are great as always!thumb.gif

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8