soccer team collage

Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
edited June 8, 2007 in Sports
Up for your C&C please. Many thanks to Ann McRae for the inspiration :clap

160378371-L.jpg
Colleen
check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)

Comments

• BRATCHBRATCH Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    Frog Lady wrote:
    Up for your C&C please. Many thanks to Ann McRae for the inspiration clap.gif

160378371-L.jpg

I have to give you credit, that's a heck of a poster. The criticism I would give is perhaps consider eliminating the little patches of grass and eliminate the backgrounds completely in the individual photos.

The randomness of the size of the patches, shapes and varying shades of green kind of distract me, but that might be just me. However, eliminating the grass in the individual photos leaves the poster as a whole somewhat empty.

Again, great poster. I guarantee every player, coach and parent love it so it doesn't really matter what any of us think. :D
    If they hate you they have a subscription. -- Bratch
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    Colleen

I LOVE it!!!!!

You have done a great job. And I am really flattered that you were inspired by me. Love the red borders - gives it good POP.

ann
  • JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    Thats really,really nice, the players and parents should be proud to display the poster.

Joe
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    Great job. thumb.gif

I think this is one of the best team collages that i have seen.
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    BRATCH wrote:
    I have to give you credit, that's a heck of a poster. The criticism I would give is perhaps consider eliminating the little patches of grass and eliminate the backgrounds completely in the individual photos.

The randomness of the size of the patches, shapes and varying shades of green kind of distract me, but that might be just me. However, eliminating the grass in the individual photos leaves the poster as a whole somewhat empty.

Again, great poster. I guarantee every player, coach and parent love it so it doesn't really matter what any of us think. :D

Thanks Bratch. I understand what you mean about the random bits of grass, but like you suggested, it might leave the poster feeling empty. It's unfortunate that the grass quality and color are so variable in SoCal (to the point of playing on a dirt field w/ small clumps of grass sticking up here and there eek7.gif ), but I wanted to leave the patches of ground in there to, well, ground the players.

And, yeah, while the intended audience will like it (b/c it's the only thing they're getting), the feed back helps me think about things differently and improve, so I appreciate it. thumb.gif

tx,

C.
    Colleen

edited June 7, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Colleen

I LOVE it!!!!!

You have done a great job. And I am really flattered that you were inspired by me. Love the red borders - gives it good POP.

ann

Thanks Ann - I'm really glad you like it, and more importantly, that you don't mind that I built on your style. I agree w/ you that the red borders work well. I debated about going w/ a brighter red to match their jerseys, but my DH suggested the darker red. I think it works ok b/c it picks up the color in the shadows (the bright red was almost over powering).

hope your adventure w/ the T&Is is going well.

C.
    Colleen

edited June 7, 2007
    Joe and aktse - thanks for your kind words iloveyou.gif You all are going to make my head swell :D

C.
    Colleen

• RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    I would like to see it with something other than an all-white background - perhaps a lighter shade or gradient? It might look neat to take another image (a game shot, perhaps), enlarge it or some portion of it, and make it the background with some transparency.

Also, the top row - 2nd from the left - looks funny having the ball right over the coach's head.

The image spacing in the bottom row appears random and is not consistent with the rest of the images.

Player names (and maybe position) for each image! Would look nice right above the bottom border of each individual image, perhaps with a drop shadow for the added contrast.
    edited June 7, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    I would like to see it with something other than an all-white background - perhaps a lighter shade or gradient? It might look neat to take another image (a game shot, perhaps), enlarge it or some portion of it, and make it the background with some transparency.

Also, the top row - 2nd from the left - looks funny having the ball right over the coach's head.

The image spacing in the bottom row appears random and is not consistent with the rest of the images.

Player names (and maybe position) for each image! Would look nice right above the bottom border of each individual image, perhaps with a drop shadow for the added contrast.

David - thanks for taking the time to offer your critique. I appreciate it. I might have an image that works for the bkgd. We're located near the San Bernardino mtns and I've got some simple shots that are typical to this area - one of them might work and I'll see what I can do. I'll also play w/ the spacing/positioning...

I thought about a drop shadow but wasn't sure it would work since the sun angle is unique to each shot... Nice idea about the names - I was already thinking about having each player sign his shot for the coaches copy, but might try and see how it looks printed.

C.
    Colleen

edited June 7, 2007
    Frog Lady wrote:
    I thought about a drop shadow but wasn't sure it would work since the sun angle is unique to each shot...

FYI - I was referring to a drop shadow only for the text of the names and not the images themselves. This can help increase the contrast of the names with the image.

Glad to help!
    edited June 8, 2007
    Frog Lady wrote:
    Nice idea about the names - I was already thinking about having each player sign his shot for the coaches copy, but might try and see how it looks printed.

C.

I don't know how much work you would want to put into it, but I think it would rock to have all the players sign their names with a Sharpie or something and scan and drop their names in with their photos.

You might have to instruct a few to sign all on one line and some on two lines to fit them in for their photos, but it could be done well.

It kind of takes away from having the kids sign the poster for the coach, but it would be cool.

Or you could save that for a different poster. I figure after a few people get a look at this one you'll making more.
    edited June 8, 2007
    BRATCH wrote:
    I don't know how much work you would want to put into it, but I think it would rock to have all the players sign their names with a Sharpie or something and scan and drop their names in with their photos.

You might have to instruct a few to sign all on one line and some on two lines to fit them in for their photos, but it could be done well.

It kind of takes away from having the kids sign the poster for the coach, but it would be cool.

Or you could save that for a different poster. I figure after a few people get a look at this one you'll making more.

that's a cool idea - and would prevent the finger smudges sure to go w/ kids signing a picture. I don't think I'll have time for this one (last tournament starts tomorrow and we're done w/ everything on Sun - nothing like waiting 'til the last minute mwink.gif ), but I'll definately store that idea for later use. Thanks!

C.
    Colleen

edited June 8, 2007
    revisions
    version 2: better? worse? ne_nau.gif

160645297-L.jpg
    Colleen

edited June 8, 2007
    I think the background gives this a lot more character. I like this more than the first.

One last little thing (and I should have noticed this earlier) is that the arm in the lower-right might be too close to the image's edge. Frames and matting may cover that arm.
    edited June 8, 2007
    That is the icing on the cake. Nice job.
    edited June 8, 2007
    David and Bratch - thanks again for your input and comments. Yeah, I think I like it :D

C.
    Colleen