Options

STOLEN: Canon-mount Sigma 120-300mm f2.8

cfrey6cfrey6 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
edited June 17, 2007 in House of Canon
I had my car broken into on Park Blvd, across from the Natural History Museum, in Balboa Park, in San Diego, at 5 PM roughly. My Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 lens got stolen. Serial Number is 3003764.

They left behind the lens bag, the tripod holder and lens cover. If you see on any of the other threads, please let me know. Thanks.

Hopefully, my car insurance will cover it, as I do have theft coverage. Even so, I will still pay atleast the $500 deductible. The lens cost me $2,100 roughly, brand new.

This is the DG version. Canon-mount.

Comments

• Options
    LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    Tough hit, no doubt. Best of luck in financial recovery, as we both know that unless the police stumble on your criminals by accident with the goods, it's unlikely you will see this particular lens again.. Not impossible, but unlikely anyway.

A suggestion for the future would be to check on a personal articles policy, they can cover the entire lens insured value... I carry this sort of coverage with State Farm.

Doug
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    Actually ... I know of a few people who have recovered the stolen property on Ebay. So check Ebay and then the cops. Good luck man ... I've been thinking of purchasing that lens for a while.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    rbrugmanrbrugman Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    Talk about bad luck. I'd keep an eye out on eBay. A couple people at my university stole a bunch of high-end projectors and then put them on ebay. Now they're in jail. I don't understand why they didn't just take the whole case but obvously they knew what they were after. I'd also check local pawn shops in your area. It could be someone out looking for a quick buck.

Robert
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    Theft probably covered under homeowners ins (not auto)
    cfrey6 wrote:
    Hopefully, my car insurance will cover it, as I do have theft coverage.
    You'll need to check with your insurer. Often auto insurance only covers theft of the car itself. Coverage for items in the car can fall under your homeowner's or renter's policy (the twice I've had items stolen from my car, I had to file under Homeowners insurance). But maybe you have a special clause in your auto insurance policy that's different from mine.

In any case, good luck. What a bummer :cry.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    UP N MTNSUP N MTNS Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    cfrey6 wrote:
    I had my car broken into on Park Blvd, across from the Natural History Museum, in Balboa Park, in San Diego, at 5 PM roughly. My Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 lens got stolen. Serial Number is 3003764.

Sorry to hear about this..:cry

Just and FYI to anyone shooting in the SD area:
    This is a growning problem in the Balboa Park/Zoo area.
    We've seen guys shadowing the big lens/big gear bags shooters, following them to see if there going to a veichle, hoping they will switch or stow gear in there..
    If you must switch/stow gear in your veichle,do it then drive to another parking lot(there are over 10) and get out with just the gear you need..I know this is a pain in the ass but its one of the ways to shake the SCUMBAGS that call the park area " there work"...

Summers here tons of crowds/peolpe....watch who's watching you.

Again sorry to hear about your loss, hope you get sorted out with the insurance co or local law enforcement comes through for you.
    Tug at a single thing in nature, and you will find it connected to the universe.
    John Muir
  • Options
    WilliamTunickWilliamTunick Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    Never now, but just saw this on ebay, looks like the pawn shop is in San Diego, might be worth a call... I will email it to you as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sigma-APO-120-300mm-F2-8-EX-DG-HSM-LENS-FITS-CANON_W0QQitemZ200118496130QQihZ010QQcategoryZ106844QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

- William
  • Options
    cfrey6cfrey6 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    Update!!!
    Never now, but just saw this on ebay, looks like the pawn shop is in San Diego, might be worth a call... I will email it to you as well.

Good news. A fella on dgrin.com forum spotted my lens on ebay. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sigma-APO-120-300mm-F2-8-EX-DG-HSM-LENS-FITS-CANON_W0QQitemZ200118496130QQihZ010QQcategoryZ106844QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

I called up the pawn shop and drove by this afternoon and picked up the lens and all the other accesories that were stolen.

Bad news is that the lens got damaged pretty good.

Anyways, it is nice to see that there is hope out there and there are people who will look out for others, even if they don't know that at all.

Thanks very much to William! clap.gif

Another reason why I love Smugmug. It is nice to have a community like this.

Thanks again not only to William, but anybody else who was looking out.
  • Options
    rbrugmanrbrugman Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    Congradulations on the successful recovery. Hopefully you can file a police report and get some kind of insurance to cover the replacement/repair cost. Too bad the theif will probably not be caught though :-(

Keep us posted.

Robert
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    WTG Dgrinners thumb.gif

Sorry the lens was damaged :(
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    This is just amazing! Hats off to William for spotting that. cfrey, I'm glad you got your lens and accesories back. Hopefully your insurance will help with the damages.

I hope the pawn shop has some record of who brought it in. That should give the police some kind of lead, wouldn't it? (Not sure how pawn shop thing works, but I'm thinking you have to show some kind of ID or am I just naive?)
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    rgbivensrgbivens Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    Wow...crazy stuff getting your lens back and stuff...

I don't know about in Cali but here in Oklahoma our pawn shops are required to take inventory of everything that comes in putting SN with Drivers License Number or SSN. I would get that scum bag thrown in jail and off the streets if you could!

-Grant
    Cameras: Nikon D200 w/grip, Nikon D70, Samsung NV11
    Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor 17-80mm f/3.5-4, Nikkor 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6, Lensbaby 2.0
    Accessories: Nikon SB-800, (2X) Old Flash Units, (4X) Poverty Wizards, GF Lightsphere, (3X) Lightstand and umbrella, Sandisk Extreme III 4.0 GB, Sandisk Ultra II 2.0 GB, Transcend 1.0 GB
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    Glad you got your lens back! Keep us informed on the follow up if you do any on trying to gett his guy caught. And are you going to try to get the lens repaired?
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    :jawdropclap.gifclapclap.gifsuperylsuper.gifsuper

Wow! The damage sucks, but what great news! Dgrin rocks!
  • Options
    MikeIMikeI Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    rgbivens wrote:

I don't know about in Cali but here in Oklahoma our pawn shops are required to take inventory of everything that comes in putting SN with Drivers License Number or SSN.

They are supposed to for certain items, especially high dollar TRACEABLE items. Anything with a serial number can be traced. I would be surprised if the police didn't ask for it when they took the initial report. The serial number for anything can be listed as a stolen item in a nationwide database. Everything from leaf blowers to motorcycles to even camera lenses.

I'm glad you got your lens back. The only person out of pocket (except for the damage to the lens) is the pawn shop owner, and that is karma taking a little back!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~My Gallery~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited June 14, 2007
    cfrey6 wrote:
    Good news. A fella on dgrin.com forum spotted my lens ...

Thanks very much to William! clap.gif

Another reason why I love Smugmug. It is nice to have a community like this.

Thanks again not only to William, but anybody else who was looking out.

Wow!

Yes, thanks William. If that had been sold, the trail could have gotten much more complicated.

Congratulations on the recovery and best of luck on a full restitution.

I've been victimized in the past, and, after conviction, it did get a juvenile the attention they needed to start getting straightened out.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    UP N MTNSUP N MTNS Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Glad you got it backclap.gif

Like I said in the PM I sent you.....CHECK THE LOCAL PAWN SHOPS!!!!

The PS should have taken a copy of his/her ID and or finger/thumb print....If you want me to stir the pot send me a PM and we will talk more...

UP N MTNS
    Tug at a single thing in nature, and you will find it connected to the universe.
    John Muir
  • Options
    AlpineManAlpineMan Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Excellent news. Out of curiosity, did the pawnshop just give you your lens back without giving you any hassle? Couldn't the pawn shop be liable as well for buying stolen goods? I though there's a law in CA that even if you didn't know the goods are stolen, you can still be liable.
    Chino Hills, CA

Canon: 7D, BG-E7, 50/1.2, 85/1.2 II, 16-35 II, 24-70, 24-105 IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 100-400 IS, (2) 580EX II, MR-14EX, 1.4X II & 2X TC
    Other: Sigma 150/2.8 Macro, Kenko Tubes
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Pretty cool that an amber alert works in this community!
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    Beau ArnoldBeau Arnold Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2007

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sigma-APO-120-300mm-F2-8-EX-DG-HSM-LENS-FITS-CANON_W0QQitemZ200118496130QQihZ010QQcategoryZ106844QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

- William

Kudos to William......you are a great addition to this board.thumb.gif