Options

New computer, need to move programs

MilnerMilner Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited June 8, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
So, how do I move my programs from my laptop to my new desk top....I do not want to move everything (laptop had a buch of pre-installed BS) I am not even worried about my settings. I just need to transfer stuff like i2E, CS2 and plug ins/actions, Word perfect (need for work), and a bunch of other downloaded stuff....
I have an external HD if that helps....Just need to get stuff onto the new one and up and running!!
Freeware best, but at this point I will pay for something that works!!

THANKS
Marc

Comments

• Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    I take it you do not have the original disks (or zipped files if downloaded) for a 'real' install? While you can set up a peer-to-peer network, share the drive on the laptop, and then use the Explorer (file browser) to copy over to the new drive, my concern would be that without doing a 'real' install none of the registry settings would be made or files installed in common folders (like c:\Windows).

IMHO, trying to copy programs from one PC to another is an excerise in futility and frustration. Reinstall is best - myabe the only way. deal.gif

Data files - WordPerfect files, jpegs, etc - of course can be copied over easily, using the external drive you mentioned.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    You didn't specify if this was a Mac or a PC. If a Mac, this is trivially easy -- use the Migration Assistant.. you can choose to migrate Applications, User data, and/or system settings (you can pick and choose).

If a PC... God help you. You're going to be manually installing it all... given that you can't migrate the registry, and that stuff is loaded with belly button lint that you'll have to re-install.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited June 8, 2007
    This is a real pain in the butt on Windows. The typical large Windows application scatters files all over the place (executables, DLLs, config info, data and more) and puts a bunch of stuff in the system registry. There is no way in hell you can get it right by copying files from one machine to another. There is a utility program called LapLink PC Mover which sells for about $30 and is pretty good at migrating stuff automatically, but I wouldn't assume that it will do everything right. Unfortunately, some vendors go out of their way to make moving software difficult or impossible. I will be facing this problem in the fall and I plan on giving LapLink a try.

The only other real option is to reinstall the programs and then move your old data files by whatever means you can. As long as both machines have network ports, you can just set up your old PC as a shared drive and copy across the network.

Good luck, and if you find a better solution be sure to let me know.

Regards,
  • Options
    MilnerMilner Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    Thanks....I just figured there had to be an easier way to do it....I should know better!!
    First time Mac has looked good to meeek7.gif

Oh well, I have almost all of them reloaded now, didn't take as long as I thought....
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    Fresh installation. When moving to a new PC, I just bother with trying to migrate my data files. I look at it as an opportinity for a nice fresh start. :D It doesn't take all that long & you know you have a clean, working starting point.