Options

lenses,lenses,lenses

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited June 8, 2007 in Cameras
OK, I'm back

it looks like the 28-135 canon is ok (some people said that it is not that good)

24-70 canon is great, but what about the
24-70 sigma & 24-60 sigma???????

I am trying to find something like 24-70 canon without spending the big $$$
:photo

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited June 7, 2007
    OK, I'm back

it looks like the 28-135 canon is ok (some people said that it is not that good)

24-70 canon is great, but what about the
    24-70 sigma & 24-60 sigma???????

I am trying to find something like 24-70 canon without spending the big $$$

I would be one of those to say that the Canon 28-135mm, f3.5-f5.6 IS, is just an OK lens. It is no better than many of the inexpensive consumer lenses in terms of contrast and sharpness. At f5.6 on the long end it is also pretty slow to be used as an indoor lens.

One of the wedding photographers in the area uses that as his standard zoom on a 1D MKII, and his results are not very special, but they are OK.

I hear fairly good things about the Sigma 24-70mm, f2.8 EX DG Macro. but I hear more good things about the Tamron 28-75mm, f2.8 XR DI. If you are looking for a bargain lens in this category, I think the Tamron is it.

Then again, the Canon 24-85mm, f3.5-f4.5, is about as good as their consumer lenses get, and is awfully good used at f5.6. I also have an older Canon 28-80mm, f2.8-f4L that I like a lot, except when it doesn't lock focus. ne_nau.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I hear fairly good things about the Sigma 24-70mm, f2.8 EX DG Macro. but I hear more good things about the Tamron 28-75mm, f2.8 XR DI. If you are looking for a bargain lens in this category, I think the Tamron is it.
    Thank you so much for the recommendation! I tend to stay with canon glass and don't know too much about tamron glass, but the reviews for this are great. This is perfect fit for the needs of my dad, and in the good price range for a father's day gift. As an added bonus, I can borrow it when I visit my parents! rolleyes1.gif

You have so much knowledge in your head! Thanks so much for sharing!
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    So if the 28-135 is just ok, what would be a good lens in around this zoom range for a general walk around lens? I'd be looking for something that goes from at least 28mm or lower on the wide end, to 100mm, or longer on the tele end. Of course the lower the fstop, the better, and IS would be a defenite plus. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    I have the Siggy 28-70 F2.8 EX

For under 400 bones it is quite good, especially on a crop camera. I am happy enough with it that I am not going to shop for another medium zoom to replace it. It works very well between my 17-40L and 70-200L IS. I don't feel like shelling out for the 24-70L when the Sigma is this good. It is about 90% of L image quality, and about 75% L build quality if that helps at all.

The fact that it comes with a hood and a nice case is also a bonus...
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2007
    HiSPL wrote:
    I have the Siggy 28-70 F2.8 EX

For under 400 bones it is quite good, especially on a crop camera. I am happy enough with it that I am not going to shop for another medium zoom to replace it. It works very well between my 17-40L and 70-200L IS. I don't feel like shelling out for the 24-70L when the Sigma is this good. It is about 90% of L image quality, and about 75% L build quality if that helps at all.

The fact that it comes with a hood and a nice case is also a bonus...

I wish someone made an 18-135 f/2.8 with image/optical stabilization. Don't suppose anything like this exists that is compatible with Canon? That would be my dream walk around...
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    I think you just described the 24-105L :) And remember, the more zoom you get, the less 'quality' you'll get, especially zooms that start in the teens and end in the high 100s. The amount of sacrifices made in order to make that zoom length happen with regards to image quality...:uhoh
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2007
    Sizam wrote:
    I think you just described the 24-105L :) And remember, the more zoom you get, the less 'quality' you'll get, especially zooms that start in the teens and end in the high 100s. The amount of sacrifices made in order to make that zoom length happen with regards to image quality...:uhoh

The only thing about the 24-105 is I wish it were alittle wider. On my 1.6x crop XTi 24mm tends to be a little on the long side. And does the 24-105 have IS? Not that I wouldn't take it either way, it is a pretty sweet lens!
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    Yup it has IS :) And if you want winder look at the 17-55 2.8 IS lens, similar price and features but it tends towards the wide side and is f2.8 (and EF-S).
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    wesleytwesleyt Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    I got the 17-55 f/2.8 IS with my 30D late last year, and I just picked up the 24-105 f/4L IS on a sale this past weekend at a local shop. I love the 17-55, but I sometime wish it had a bit more reach, hence the 24-105. The 24-105 is also my first L lens.

I got dust on my sensor for the first time last weekend, and am eagerly awaiting the cleaning kit I ordered so I can get some frames with my 24-105. I have a feeling the 24-105 will become my favorite general-purpose lens.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    The only thing about the 24-105 is I wish it were alittle wider. On my 1.6x crop XTi 24mm tends to be a little on the long side. And does the 24-105 have IS? Not that I wouldn't take it either way, it is a pretty sweet lens!

Yeah, but you're original post said something about 28mm. :D Really, what you described IS the 24-105. For wider, I'd start looking at UWA zooms (the 10-22, 12-24, 10-20 ones from Canon, Tokina, and Sigma). I know I'm pleased with my 12-24 + 24-70 combo.
  • Options
    BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    thanks
    :photo