Options

which one do you like better?

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited February 28, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
So I was messing around in the house with some fake lighting and my attempt at "studio photography". I like the results, but feel there is room for improvement. The first shot was in fine jpg mode (forgot it was there) with AWB. The second shot I realized, and switched to RAW.

shot 1:
2529600-M.jpg

shot 2:
2529601-M.jpg

I made shot 1 clickable so you can go to my gallery and see the larger size. Really good detail in shot 2, from RAW.

Color temperature is subjective in this one, so I guess the part I was struggling with was the framing. I wanted to get the whole pot/bowl in the shot, but it wasn't on a nice base, so I decided to crop it. Do you think it really takes away? Should I have maybe cropped the whole thing, just below the protruding rocks? Hmmm...
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2004
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2004
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2004
    Tim
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2004
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    So I was messing around in the house with some fake lighting and my attempt at "studio photography". I like the results, but feel there is room for improvement. The first shot was in fine jpg mode (forgot it was there) with AWB. The second shot I realized, and switched to RAW.

shot 1:

shot 2:

Data with the photo: Focal Length: 50mm (guess: 53mm in 35mm)

Wouldn't that be 50mm X 1.6 = 80mm in 35 mm speak?
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2004
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    Data with the photo: Focal Length: 50mm (guess: 53mm in 35mm)
    Wouldn't that be 50mm X 1.6 = 80mm in 35 mm speak?

(someone correct me if I'm wrong, but...)

I think the focal length is a physical attribute of the lens, so that a 50mm focal length is still 50mm regardless of the "angle of view" (a.k.a. "crop factor") imposed due to the sensor size.

So if this was shot with a 50mm (focal length) lens, the focal length is still 50mm, regardless whether the image was recorded on 35mm film or a digital sensor with a 1.0x, 1.3x, 1.5x, 1.6x, 1.7x, or 2.0x crop factor.

If the camera records a focal length of "50mm" with the frame's exposure data (EXIF header?), that's the actual focal length of the lens at the time of the shot. You'd have to know the crop factor of the sensor involved to calculate the actual angle of view (often expressed as "35mm equivalent", which really means "the angle of view is equivalent to a 35mm film camera using a lens of <x> focal length").
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    edited February 27, 2004
    OK, just installed the new monitor. Now I like the color and lighting of #1, but I still prefer the compostion of #2. I think I don't really like the way the plant is cut off in #1. Then again, I don't like how weedy it looks in #2.

headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2004
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2004
    photobug wrote:
    (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but...)

I think the focal length is a physical attribute of the lens, so that a 50mm focal length is still 50mm regardless of the "angle of view" (a.k.a. "crop factor") imposed due to the sensor size.

So if this was shot with a 50mm (focal length) lens, the focal length is still 50mm, regardless whether the image was recorded on 35mm film or a digital sensor with a 1.0x, 1.3x, 1.5x, 1.6x, 1.7x, or 2.0x crop factor.

If the camera records a focal length of "50mm" with the frame's exposure data (EXIF header?), that's the actual focal length of the lens at the time of the shot. You'd have to know the crop factor of the sensor involved to calculate the actual angle of view (often expressed as "35mm equivalent", which really means "the angle of view is equivalent to a 35mm film camera using a lens of <x> focal length").
    I also don't know where that "guess" comes from. My camera information, when in the Photoshop browser, always tells me the focal length of the lens - no crop factor. And yes, indeed, i was using a fixed 50mm lens with these shots.
    Erik

• Options
    erusherush Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2004
    this one depends on what emotion you are trying to get out of the photo. If you want it to be more subtle and calm then you should go with shot 1. But if you would like the more rigid and sharp look than you shoul dgo with the second shot. Depends on the context cause both look decent.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    OK, just installed the new monitor. Now I like the color and lighting of #1, but I still prefer the compostion of #2. I think I don't really like the way the plant is cut off in #1. Then again, I don't like how weedy it looks in #2.

headscratch.gif
    The nice thing about RAW files, you can try again. To be honest though, in the original shot 2, those colors are pretty "true". My poor plant hasn't been getting as much sun as it does in the summer when it can bask outside. I was going by the walls in my office which are definitely more gray than blue.

But in any case, I also think I like the cooler tones, so here's another try:

2587180-M.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 27, 2004
    Me like.
    Sid.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited February 28, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    The nice thing about RAW files, you can try again. To be honest though, in the original shot 2, those colors are pretty "true". My poor plant hasn't been getting as much sun as it does in the summer when it can bask outside. I was going by the walls in my office which are definitely more gray than blue.

But in any case, I also think I like the cooler tones, so here's another try:

2587180-M.jpg
    I still like 2. I think it's warm without being too harsh and the contrast
    is nice. 1 seems too blue.
    3's good.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?