Options

Which should I take?

JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
edited February 12, 2005 in The Big Picture
Not sure if this is the right forum but thought I would ask in Wide Angle:

I'm going on my honeymoon in May to Maui. We will be there for one week. I have a Nikon D70 and 4 lenses. Which ones should I take?

18-70mm f/3.5 kit lens
50mm f/1.8
105mm Macro
80-200mm f/2.8

I'm pretty sure I won't be taking the macro. This post is probably dumb...since I'll probably take 3 lenses.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    JohnR wrote:

I'm pretty sure I won't be taking the macro. This post is probably dumb...since I'll probably take 3 lenses.

take none (if you are planning on a really really really good honeymoon!) or take three and leave the macro at home.

congrats lol3.gif
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    I can't imagine...
    not taking them ALL. Is there a reason why you can only take three?

Seems like a very well rounded and quite manageable kit actually. You have a good balance of zoom and primes, good coverage for focal lenghts, the 50mm for available light shots, and the macro for portraits and macro.

I would think that even the macro would be nice to have. I've never been to Maui but I'd guess there would be all sorts of interesting flowers and plants you might want to capture.

If it were me, I would take the equivelent setup for my Canon 20D, plus 'one' (I need two lenses to cover your 18-70mm range).

Where I would definately get in trouble is trying to take too many pics on my honeymoon! rolleyes1.gif

If that's the same in your case, maybe you should just pickup a disposable 35mm thumb.gif

Don't sweat it though, throw you gear in a bag take lots of CF cards and extra batteries and have a blast.

btw-congrats!
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2005

Yeah, I don't want to spend TOO much time taking pictures but then again, when will I be back to Maui?

Mainly I plan on taking shots of the waterfalls, beaches, ocean, landscapes, etc. If I do see a flower, then the 50mm will be used.

I have been to Oahu and have some pictures from there on my site...those are the types I want to take.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    I can never slim down my kit, I always think I will need the one thing I dont have.

I would take it all, and probably buy something else new just for the trip.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2005
    I wish I could get something new to take with me, like this lens:
    Nikon Zoom Super Wide Angle AF-S Zoom Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Autofocus Lens
    or this one
    Nikon Zoom Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 200-400mm f/4 G-AFS ED-IF VR (Vibration Reduction) Autofocus Lens

But I can't spend any money on toys right now. Still paying off the honeymoon trip ($1300 left to go!).

Oh, and we bought a 12inch iBook just for this trip and to play with before and after of course. ;)

I have a 1GB, 512MB and a 32MB CF cards. I plan to shoot all in RAW format.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    JohnR wrote:

Yeah, I don't want to spend TOO much time taking pictures but then again, when will I be back to Maui?
    Probably before you have another honeymoon. naughty.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    Do what all the other guys seem to do, take three, shoot a lot, and buy your wife diamonds, or whatever. Even cars seem to work. clap.gif

You could take your wife shooting with you, tell her how beautiful she is and use her for a model.

Why would you need to go to Hawaii at all if not to take photographs. Most stuff you can do without leaving home. You probably even know where the best restaurants are in your own town.

gingerthumb.gif Oh, the three lenses that Andy said.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.