Save As vs. Save for Web

ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
edited June 17, 2007 in Technique
Can someone explain me the benefit of Save for Web? From what i understand it will hide EXIF data from the image, so what good is it for dgrin?
On the other hand, if you sell your photos as stock, it is beneficial in what way?
I'm quiet confused :help
Marina
www.intruecolors.com
Nikon D700 x2/D300
Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8

Comments

• luvluv Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2007
    Save for web not only strips (not hides) EXIF but it also gives you full control over how much file quality you loose and your file size. I would assume if you're selling your photo as stock you'll want to save as at the hightest quality availble. However if you're saving to post to the web you may want to use save for web so that you can get under the K posting requirements of the site while ensureing you dont loose to much quality. When you're in the save for web screen click on the 2 up or 4 up tab and then play when the settings on the right and you'll see what I mean.

When my primary care is file size I use save for web. However when I intend to save for my personal gallery I use save as. My gallery will show EXIF so I want to maintain that.

-luv
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2007
    Thank you luv for explanation, i was reading and reading on the subject, but it was more of a mambo jumbo to me. I see how it works. Thanks again!! bowdown.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • digdon1digdon1 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    luv wrote:
    Save for web not only strips (not hides) EXIF but it also gives you full control over how much file quality you loose and your file size. I would assume if you're selling your photo as stock you'll want to save as at the hightest quality availble. However if you're saving to post to the web you may want to use save for web so that you can get under the K posting requirements of the site while ensureing you dont loose to much quality. When you're in the save for web screen click on the 2 up or 4 up tab and then play when the settings on the right and you'll see what I mean.

When my primary care is file size I use save for web. However when I intend to save for my personal gallery I use save as. My gallery will show EXIF so I want to maintain that.

-luv

Hats off to ShepsMom for asking the question. I too was curious about subtle differences in save options. THANKS a bunch clap.gif to you Luv for your explanation. Depending on what you want to do with your prints determines whether to use Save As or Save for the web. "By George he's (me that is) got it." Thanks again.
    edited June 11, 2007
    glad to help :)
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    also noticed it allows for a transparent background if, say you are making a logo or a watermark.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited June 15, 2007
    evoryware wrote:
    also noticed it allows for a transparent background if, say you are making a logo or a watermark.

Both SaveAs and SaveForWeb allow for transparency, but only if you save as gif. However in Saveforweb it's much easier to see/control what your final outcome will be.
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    I've noticed, when Saving for Web, images appear a lot lighter then when you do Save as. Why is that??ne_nau.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • BeaKeRBeaKeR Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I've noticed, when Saving for Web, images appear a lot lighter then when you do Save as. Why is that??ne_nau.gif

I haven't noticed that myself. Perhaps you have a color space issue? Save For Web most likely converts to the sRGB color space, so if you're working in something else there might be some changes.

I've played around with both, but mostly stopped using Save for Web because I like saving the EXIF. I have found that when I'm doing a big batch of images (vacation pics, whatever) the Image Processor in Bridge (Tools -> Photoshop -> Image Processor) is quite handy.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:

Save As allows you to include any of the extras that apply in the saving prefs, like previews (which are more image bits), thumbnail icons (even more bits), metadata etc. Save for Web is intended to be image-only with no extras although CS3 does allow for including metadata if you turn that on.