Nikon Reliability

rbrugmanrbrugman Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited June 10, 2007 in Cameras
Hello Everyone,
It turns out that my new Nikon D80 is not the US version and therefore has no warranty. I had a feeling that was going to happen since it cost me well under $1000 including the lens. That said, it is new.

Does anyone have any reliability numbers from the D70 line? I can't return my camera but I'd just like to know. Even though it doesn't have a warranty, Nikon will probably let me send it in for repair if I pay for it, and since I saved quite a bit buying it I have some money left to fix it SHOULD it break. The D80 seems like it is built extremely well so I don't expect any problems and I haven't heard of many problems with other Nikon SLRs. I called Nikon and the guy told me I should get rid of this one and get the US model, but if it's not going to break (within the first year anyway) I don't see why I should spend the extra $500. If a repair only costs me $300 I still came out better.

Lets just hope it's not one of the "you get what you paid for" situations :wink

Thanks,
Robert

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2007
    rbrugman wrote:
    Hello Everyone,
    It turns out that my new Nikon D80 is not the US version and therefore has no warranty. I had a feeling that was going to happen since it cost me well under $1000 including the lens. That said, it is new.

Does anyone have any reliability numbers from the D70 line? I can't return my camera but I'd just like to know. Even though it doesn't have a warranty, Nikon will probably let me send it in for repair if I pay for it, and since I saved quite a bit buying it I have some money left to fix it SHOULD it break. The D80 seems like it is built extremely well so I don't expect any problems and I haven't heard of many problems with other Nikon SLRs. I called Nikon and the guy told me I should get rid of this one and get the US model, but if it's not going to break (within the first year anyway) I don't see why I should spend the extra $500. If a repair only costs me $300 I still came out better.

Lets just hope it's not one of the "you get what you paid for" situations mwink.gif

Thanks,
    Robert
    If you bought it less than 30 days ago I think you can still get a mack or other 3rd party warranty for it.....you can find these by googling for them or by searching ebay....even tho my KM7D was a USA version I still got and extended Mack Warranty (extra 5yrs) for under $50 off ebay.

I have had MACK warranties on all of my NEW cameras over the years.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2007
    I wouldn't sweat it. The camera should be VERY reliable. Repairs should they be required are quick and reasonable.

Shoot, have fun, be more careful who you buy from in the future.
  • rbrugmanrbrugman Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    If you bought it less than 30 days ago I think you can still get a mack or other 3rd party warranty for it.....you can find these by googling for them or by searching ebay....even tho my KM7D was a USA version I still got and extended Mack Warranty (extra 5yrs) for under $50 off ebay.

I have had MACK warranties on all of my NEW cameras over the years.

Great idea on the 3rd party warranty! I sent a couple sellers questions asking if the non-US version would be covered. I'm not expecting it to break but it would be a shame if for some reason it did. Now I just have to wait for my Canon to sell so I have some money ;-)

Thanks!
  • BRATCHBRATCH Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    rbrugman wrote:

Does anyone have any reliability numbers from the D70 line?

Lets just hope it's not one of the "you get what you paid for" situations mwink.gif

Thanks,
    Robert

Not sure what you mean about "reliability numbers," but I use a D70s and a buddy of mine has a D70 and I haven't had a single problem with mine and neither has he. I guess I'm working on 20,000 shots through my current D70 and while I haven't ever dropped it, I've been rained on at football games and other situations where it got about a wet and you could make a camera with out pouring water over it.

And the one my friend bought came with the US warranty, but it actually was what I would call a "gray market" camera because the charger came with an electrical cable that wouldn't plug into a standard US power outlet. He just bought a cable from Radio Shack and everything was fine.

I wouldn't worry about your camera. Just stop talking about it before you jinx it. Laughing.gif Those third party warranties sound good though. I personally was unaware such things were available.
    If they hate you they have a subscription. -- Bratch