Options

Spontaneous Tourists

TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
edited June 11, 2007 in Journeys
My wife and I live 2 hours north of Los Angeles. She had a doctor's appointment at UCLA on Friday. Following her appointment (everything is fine, thanks for asking) we headed over to the Farmers Market, a landmark she had never visited.

160885308-L.jpg

One of the first things we encountered was "Gilmore Gas." At first, I wasn't too sure why they had a depression-era gas station display.

160882336-M.jpg

Turns out that Earl Gilmore, the entrepreneur who came up with Red Lion gasoline and oil, owned the land at 3rd Street and Fairfax.

160882564-L.jpg

Roger Dahlhjelm and Fred Beck approached E.B. Gilmore with an idea envisioned as a village square where artisans would sell handmade goods in a central market where farmers would sell their produce to housewives. Gilmore went for it and LA's Farmers Market was established in 1934.

160883211-M.jpg

No shortage of food and drink, including lots of fresh produce.

160884550-M.jpg

There are dozens of restaurants, too, ranging from ice cream and donuts to sushi and Brazilian BBQ.

160885218-M.jpg

After the Farmers Market, we went next door to explore the "Grove." This is an outdoor shopping Mecca modeled on the Disney concept. All the stores are extremely expensive, there's valet parking and a concierge. Not my cup of tea at all, but interesting to look around nonetheless.

160881927-L.jpg

If the three-block length of the shopping plaza is too daunting, there's a trolley that runs back and forth all day.

160885622-M.jpg

Tell me this doesn't look like Disneyland.

160882171-M.jpg

Lots of trendy shops.

160885883-M.jpg

Old-World European achitecture abounds.

160886148-M.jpg

There's grass, a bridge, and a water-feature for the stroller set.

160887300-M.jpg

From the folks that brought you the Bellagio water show in Las Vegas.

160887509-M.jpg

This girl was intently interested in the water fountains.

160887942-M.jpg

Finally, a trip to Hollywood for Pink's! Neither my wife nor I had ever been, though I've driven past it a hundred times.

160888051-M.jpg

You'll wait 20-25 minutes to order. This was at 4:00 p.m.

160888393-M.jpg

160888903-M.jpg

160889051-M.jpg

Serious Polish sausages. And when they say "spicy," they mean spicy.

160889386-M.jpg

Chili dogs were a dime when Pink's opened in 1939.

160889671-M.jpg

This was our lunch. Mine were the hot dogs, my wife's the Polish sausages. She was mortified at how big they were and only finished one. Our total came to $18.90 with two drinks. In 1939, I estimate this meal would have totaled less than $1.00. My how times have changed. . . .

Pink's was an interesting experience and one I would recommend to any visitor to Hollywood. The small restaurant is covered with autographed celebrity photographs (like ever other Hollywood eatery) and they have several amusing specials named for celebrities (Huell Howser, Rosie O'Donnell, Johnny Grant, etc.). The chili was a bit bitter and oily, though. Frankly, Cupid's in the Valley has it all over Pink's: much better chili dogs.

That's all I've got. What few photos remain can be viewed here.

Thanks for viewing. Q & C welcome.
"Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site

Comments

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2007
    Very sharp and nicely saturated shots. I haven't been there in too many years to count! Glad your wife is fine. Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2007
    I'm surprised you had the will-power to not eat at the Farmer's Market! Nice series, all fun places to go to. Yeah, the Grove is so manicured. Kinda blecch. The Apple Store is there, though! :D I love the FM, and had a nice dgrin lunch up at Pink's not too long ago!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm surprised you had the will-power to not eat at the Farmer's Market!

I didn't.

160884207-M.jpg

Someone recently posted a series on a visit to Pink's. Was that you? In any case, it's a popular spot.

Thanks for the comments!
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited June 11, 2007
    or to stop at Pink's for a dog...
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?