Ch32 my first try

BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
edited February 12, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Are these any good?

15727769-L.jpg

15727768-L.jpg

I am thinking I need more light on the background to get less gradiant type effect. Do they even fit the challenge?

Comments

• BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    how about this one?
    I was playing with White Balance, flash as well as lights...

15730035-L.jpg
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    The color on the third one seems perfect. The DOF on the first 2 is perfect and I love the composition on the second one.

The third one the DOF is too deep. The background needs to be out of focus. IMHO
  • BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    Try 4
    I was up half the night thinking how I could get the white balance right...then I thought of Yuri. I got this shot this morning, infront of my notrh west facing window. It is raining out side so the light is soft and pretty.

15744407-L.jpg

Now my question is the blueness of the background, what am I missing? Is it even a problem? Am I within the perameters of the challenge? IF so I will work with this and play with composition, angles and maybe multiple flowers (these grow like weeds in my yard, have about 10 in bloom right now :D)
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    Bryan wrote:
    I was up half the night thinking how I could get the white balance right...then I thought of Yuri. I got this shot this morning, infront of my notrh west facing window. It is raining out side so the light is soft and pretty.

15744407-L.jpg

Now my question is the blueness of the background, what am I missing? Is it even a problem? Am I within the perameters of the challenge? IF so I will work with this and play with composition, angles and maybe multiple flowers (these grow like weeds in my yard, have about 10 in bloom right now :D)

Hi Bryan,
    I like this last one, but I think the background has to be white. I guess you need to play with the white balance some more. I think there's a way to get the color out with photoshop, but I don't think that's allowed so I'd try it with white balance. All white is great for the challenge, but I think white is probably the most challenging "color" to chose. Good job, keep at it.
    thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    Bryan wrote:

15744407-L.jpg

oh wow! I'm in love with this, so beautiful. Challenge aside, the lavender background sets off the egg-shell white in the flower so perfectly. I wonder, though, if the flower could really show it's beauty with a white background. Try putting a white sheet or shirt over the window and have that as a backdrop....you should be able to angle the flower so that it catches the light just right (I can see the ghetto riggin' now, I've been there!). You may be able to get your white balance just right so that the mottled white background successfully offsets the egg-shell color of the flower. Also, you may end up getting a surprise with an orange-light refraction off the center of the flower (is that the stamen??), which casts up onto the petals. I dunno. Keep playing with it to fit the challenge, but please know the photo ROCKS! clap.gif
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 12, 2005
    Bryan, this photo rocks. I hope the light lavender background is not a problem; I see the flower dominating the shot and to me that defines predominant.

Bryan wrote:

15744407-L.jpg

• melmel Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    Bryan wrote:

15744407-L.jpg

DEFINITELY like this last try the best. The flower seems to supply the predominant color very well. I think if you go too white with the background, you'll lose the nice line of the edge of the petal.
    Nice work!