Help pick my final two! (please)

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited June 10, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
geez, i can't make a decision on my own to save my life!!!! I tried not to solicit feedback when shooting/reshooting this round, and thought I had decided, and now am wondering which of my concepts works best.

I really like what my "curvy" shot says, but have lost a few LPS rounds for being too "obscure"...and architecture/landscape-y shots do better here at dgrin. what do you guys think?

Current entry:
Convergence (angular)
161068307-L.jpg

To combat the obsurity, maybe title this one "self esteem"
161173382-L-1.jpg

any advice for me? :scratch
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Which to enter? 18 votes

Keep Convergence as entry
66% 12 votes
Change to curvy, I dig it!
16% 3 votes
I say sit this one out...better luck next time!
16% 3 votes

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    Well 50% of like both.......rolleyes1.gif so toss a coin forthe tie breakermwink.gif or toss a coin......however I must admit that in life choices I have always been told go with your first choice it is usually the correct one.....at least 50% of the time.......ahhhhhhhh such wisdom at a time like this...been up almost 24 hrs so ...welll.....take it for what it cost, then again probably not worth that much.......:D rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited June 10, 2007
    Come on help the gal out and vote
    Am I the only one up at this time...com on ya gotta have an opinon .....it's like well.......ya know.......every one has an opinon.....come on help the gal out and vote
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Am I the only one up at this time...com on ya gotta have an opinon .....it's like well.......ya know.......every one has an opinon.....come on help the gal out and vote

Laughing.gif thanks Art for the rally! :)rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Xia_KeXia_Ke Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:

Laughing.gif... Well, let's see, my 2 cents... While I like the second shot a lot, I think you're going to run into the "too obscure" zone again. I do really like that shot though thumb.gif Number 1 would be my pic but, I just feel like it's missing a little something but can't put my finger on it headscratch.gif So, I'm going to have to vote for D.) I like #1 but I think it needs a reshoot if you have time. Hope this helps and good luck :D
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

"Challenge yourself! You will have days of discouragement and days of success, but the only way to fail, is to quit!" - Emily (Greensquared)
  • sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    I can't figure out the second one ...headscratch.gif (maybe it's cos I'm not fully awake as yet...)

but I do like the first one. Nice clean lines.

Sunita
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    For what it is worth here is my 2 cents....I can't decide.

I don't know if my contacts are blurry, but I can't figure out what #2 is

and I like your angle on #1, but find that the left corner is too dark and the tree is a distraction..

I know I didn't help, bu this is what my eye sees..
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    Xia_Ke wrote:
    Laughing.gif... Well, let's see, my 2 cents... While I like the second shot a lot, I think you're going to run into the "too obscure" zone again. I do really like that shot though thumb.gif Number 1 would be my pic but, I just feel like it's missing a little something but can't put my finger on it headscratch.gif So, I'm going to have to vote for D.) I like #1 but I think it needs a reshoot if you have time. Hope this helps and good luck :D

I agree with Aaron's comment on #2. It's a terrific shot but I can too easily picture Shay thinking something to the effect of "doesn't hit the theme strongly enough for me".

#1 conveys angular and is a really nice photo. The foreground shadows are interesting because they create angles with the panel lines on the left. But the shadows and branches on the right-side panels are distracting. Is a reshoot possible today? Or perhaps you can just clone them out??? Doing that may just give you that extra "something".
    edited June 10, 2007
    Ahhhhhh good we have peeps helping out now.....yes thsi really was a shameless bump back to the top beore I call it a night,,,,,,yeah I know it is 10 am here but I gotta be at work at 5pm...so it is sleepy time for me.....

Good Luck Lynne.

edited June 10, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Ahhhhhh good we have peeps helping out now.....yes thsi really was a shameless bump back to the top beore I call it a night,,,,,,yeah I know it is 10 am here but I gotta be at work at 5pm...so it is sleepy time for me.....

Good Luck Lynne.
    thanks art for taking interest in my little thread....

Thanks for everyone's comments. I don't want to put "curvy girl" in the title of the 2nd, Shay wouldn't like that either! rolleyes1.gif it's not clear enough on its own apparently, and that's the reaction I expected.

Linda, I think you may be right about the branches, I will give it a shot if time permits today (wedding at 4:30, shikes!) Thanks guys!!!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    I absolutely LOVE photo #2. I love the feel, the abstractness, the color.... But it doesn't scream curvy to me. But I still LOVE it.

I really like #1!
    edited June 10, 2007
    ok, i'm working on the cloning, its coming along....i think Linda is on to something. unfortunately unless i can convince a landscaping staff to cut down the branch there's no way to get that awesome angle in without the dead part of the tree in it. I liked the shadow play so I originally just overlooked it. but if I can sucessfully clone it out the shot will be much stronger I agree.

in the meantime

here are a few from the same building as "convergence"....any of these jump out as curvy or angular?

161073101-L.jpg

161073322-L.jpg

161071964-L.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited June 10, 2007
    I absolutely LOVE photo #2. I love the feel, the abstractness, the color.... But it doesn't scream curvy to me. But I still LOVE it.

I really like #1!
    thanks andi.....i'm glad you like 1....obviously that's the "safe" choice. :)
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Xia_KeXia_Ke Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    Oooo, now we're talking! I really like that top shot, #3. I might go just a hair more on the contrast but, thats just my personal preference. Well done :)
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

"Challenge yourself! You will have days of discouragement and days of success, but the only way to fail, is to quit!" - Emily (Greensquared)
    edited June 10, 2007
    TOP ONEwings.gifivarbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 10, 2007
    I'm a little slow this week, but I wanted to mention that I did this: Changed the title of this thread so that it doesn't say "vote"... now that we've gone through an full first round with a real open vote, I prefer not to have these critique polls you guys have been doing to sound too official. The contest is hard enough for new folks with all the rules.

Make sense?

Carry on :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    #3, top one, of your last photos. Says both angular and curvy!
    edited June 10, 2007
    dlscott56 wrote:
    #3, top one, of your last photos. Says both angular and curvy!

heh, thanks guys, just updated my entry, I am SO glad I posted that "plan B" set! :)

(sometimes when you're really torn between two, that means neither are really good enough)

Good luck to everyone, this has been a really creative round for everyone!! ! clap.gif I appreciate everyone's opinions and willingness to help!

lynne
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited June 10, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm a little slow this week, but I wanted to mention that I did this: Changed the title of this thread so that it doesn't say "vote"... now that we've gone through an full first round with a real open vote, I prefer not to have these critique polls you guys have been doing to sound too official. The contest is hard enough for new folks with all the rules.

Make sense?

Carry on :D
    thank you sir, may I have another? I welcome the discipline, as I've ordered way too many time-outs in my house this weekend. :whip
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited June 10, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    TOP ONEwings.gifivarbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow

soooooo, are you on the fence here Art? Give it to me straight! Laughing.gif

seriously, thanks for your feedback and your help in my little thread! :D architecture is DEFINITELY not my thang and I am glad I dun ok.
    Canon 5D MkI