Options

Atlantis Launch on Friday

kgarrett11kgarrett11 Registered Users Posts: 525 Major grins
edited June 11, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
I took a trip after work on Friday and drove the 2 1/2 hours to Titusville for the launch. I got there about an hour before the launch and had plenty of time to set up my two cameras. A D200 with my VR 80-400mm lens and my D100 with my VR 18-200. I was all set. The evening was perfect for a launch. I just knew that I was going to get some great pictures. The next time that I go down I will have to make sure that I have my cameras pointed at the right launch pad. I managed to get two half way decent ones with my D100 but nothing with my D200. Here are a few of the ones that I did get.

#1 D100 18-200mm Aperture priority 1/640 @ f8
161312712-M.jpg

#2 D200 80-400mm VR Aperture priority 1/1000 @ f7.1
I don't know what causes the shadow from the vapor trail pointing to the assembly building but I thoutht that it looked interesting so I snapped away.
161312809-M.jpg

#3 The traffic wasn't moving so we just stood around after the launch and I took a couple of the pad and the assembly building after dark.
This first one is with the D200 18-400 Aperture priority 25s @ f7.1
161312842-M.jpg

#4 This is 30s @ f7.1
161315062-M.jpg
www.Prideinphotography.com
Powered by Smugmug
Three passions wildlife, golf and the STEELERS
Equipment
Nikon D4, D300

Comments

• Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    I really like those night shots you've got! I went to school in Daytona Beach for 4 years, and I never got the time to get down to Titusville for a launch.

Thanks for sharing!! clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I really like those night shots you've got! I went to school in Daytona Beach for 4 years, and I never got the time to get down to Titusville for a launch.

Thanks for sharing!! clap.gifclap.gif

Thanks, This is the second launch that I have gone down to Titusville for and both have been Atlantis. The first time I got better shots of the liftoff . I've had my D200 for almost a year now and this is the first time that I have tried any night shots with it.
    Powered by Smugmug
    Three passions wildlife, golf and the STEELERS
    Equipment
    Nikon D4, D300
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    kgarrett11 wrote:
    Thanks, This is the second launch that I have gone down to Titusville for and both have been Atlantis. The first time I got better shots of the liftoff . I've had my D200 for almost a year now and this is the first time that I have tried any night shots with it.
    I was sorely tempted to go down there on the spur of the moment. What do you expose for? Things get pretty bright when they set fire to the fuel.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    kgarrett11 wrote:
    I took a trip after work on Friday and drove the 2 1/2 hours to Titusville for the launch. I got there about an hour before the launch and had plenty of time to set up my two cameras. A D200 with my VR 80-400mm lens and my D100 with my VR 18-200. I was all set. The evening was perfect for a launch. I just knew that I was going to get some great pictures. The next time that I go down I will have to make sure that I have my cameras pointed at the right launch pad. I managed to get two half way decent ones with my D100 but nothing with my D200. Here are a few of the ones that I did get.
    #1 D100 18-200mm Aperture priority 1/640 @ f8
    #2 D200 80-400mm VR Aperture priority 1/1000 @ f7.1
    I don't know what causes the shadow from the vapor trail pointing to the assembly building but I thoutht that it looked interesting so I snapped away.
    #3 The traffic wasn't moving so we just stood around after the launch and I took a couple of the pad and the assembly building after dark.
    This first one is with the D200 18-400 Aperture priority 25s @ f7.1
    #4 This is 30s @ f7.1

It must be an awesome sight to see, and I imagine you could hear quite a roar from those engine as the show gets on the road.
    The lights in image #3 look great clap.gif
    Glad you got to see it launch, thanks for sharing..... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I was sorely tempted to go down there on the spur of the moment. What do you expose for? Things get pretty bright when they set fire to the fuel.

In September, I let the camera work on it's own and the pictures came out dark. This time I thought that I would go with an EV of -1 and I still wasn't very happy with the lighting. The shot of the liftoff was with my D100 and I lightened it some in PS. The trouble is that there is such a long time between launches and the time of day makes it hard for an amature to know how to expose. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.