Problems with the 20D ?

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited June 12, 2007 in Cameras
I was shooting yesterday night with the 20D + 70 200 f/2.8 IS L USM + 430 Flash unit.

During the shots the camera stopped twice. Just blank. Nothing.

I switched it off, turned it on and nothing.
I took the battery off and put it back again and then the camera started working.

The second time I took the CF out and inserted it again. The red light gave me a signal but the 20D was mute.
Then, I switched it off, removed the battery and put it back again.
It started working then.

The same happened to my daughter's camera some time ago, when I was using it but with the 16-35.

In these 3 times both cameras were not giving any error message at all. Just mute. Nothing was on the little screen.

(I have also noticed that the 350D seems to have a better focusing system because, in similar circumstances, it's behavior looked better to me.
As a matter of fact the night before I have been with this camera and the 70-200 and I got very good results. But this is a different matter.)

Will you please be kind enough as to drop me a line about my 20D problem ?

Did it ever happen to you ?
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited June 10, 2007

Did it ever happen to you ?

Yes, it has happened to me a few times over the past couple of years. In every case, removing the battery and restarting the camera cleared the problem at once, so I haven't worried about it much.

Cheers,
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Yes, it has happened to me a few times over the past couple of years. In every case, removing the battery and restarting the camera cleared the problem at once, so I haven't worried about it much.

Cheers,
    Thank you Richard !
    :D I'm not alone then ! :D
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    I've had it happen to me too. I just purchased all new batteries and haven't had it happen since. Coincidence? I don't know.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
    edited June 10, 2007
    I've had it happen to me too. I just purchased all new batteries and haven't had it happen since. Coincidence? I don't know.

Thank you Dana.
    :D
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    I've had that happen every now & then. Like the others, pop the batteries out & you're back up & running. That and the infamous Err99 is just part of the deal--learning to cycle power then pop the batteries becomes second nature.
  • JohnnyJrJohnnyJr Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    same here
    same experience here. seems to happen with my oldest battery. i've marked that one 'back-up' and only use it as such. part of the aging process i guess -- we can all relate, yes?! rolleyes1.gif
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Jake: Hit it.

http://www.sissonphotography.com
    www.flickr.com/photos/sissonphotography
    http://sissonphotography.blogspot.com/
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:

Cheers,

Same here! nod.gif
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    My 20D does the same thing...still can't fighre why but remove the battery and reinstall it and back in business

Fred
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    I'll weigh in that even my Olympus E-1 does the same thing, and the remedy is the same: remove the battery and restart cures the thing. I guess all those image taking computers need a reset at times. :)
    enjoy being here while getting there
    edited June 11, 2007
    I want to thank you all for the contribution.
    As we can read it's a World problem ... :D
    thumb.gif
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    marlof wrote:
    I'll weigh in that even my Olympus E-1 does the same thing, and the remedy is the same: remove the battery and restart cures the thing. I guess all those image taking computers need a reset at times. :)

This surprizes me. Between our E1 and E500 we have a total of 4 batteries in service and never had any sort of malfuncion with any Olympus camera ... ever! They will go to "sleep" but a jab on the shutter release wakes them up pronto.
    See with your Heart
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    This surprizes me. Between our E1 and E500 we have a total of 4 batteries in service and never had any sort of malfuncion with any Olympus camera ... ever! They will go to "sleep" but a jab on the shutter release wakes them up pronto.

Well, in the Olympus DSLR forum on DPReview it is reported by other as well, but nobody really worries about it since the cure is so easy. I have three different Olympus BLM-1 batteries, and it doesn't seem to matter which one is inside, since it can always happen (not very frequently though, maybe once in three/four months). As you may have noticed: the E-1 also has the deep sleep: if you leave it in sleep mode too long, it turns itself off. You need to turn the shutter off and on again to rewake it. When the camera is frozen, it doesn't respond to that, you need to reseat the battery. No worries though, the cure always works. In both of my E-1 bodies.
    enjoy being here while getting there