Equine - Hunters/Jumpers: Rose City Opener

troutstreamingtroutstreaming Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited June 11, 2007 in Sports
Hi all,

Here are a select few of my images from the Rose City Opener, an A rated Hunter Jumper in Wilsonville Oregon last weekend. I was working for Pouslen Photography again so image use here courtesy of Poulsen Photography at www.poulsenphoto.com The complete collection of images from the event can be viewed and purchased at http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/thumbpage.aspx?e=2932989 My equestrian galleries are located here: http://troutstreaming.smugmug.com/Equestrian

Another attempt with the wide and low stuff:

161511488-M.jpg
161511594-M.jpg

Some panning shots:
161510970-M.jpg
161511045-M.jpg

And the more traditional knees on rails stuff:
161511152-M.jpg161511205-M.jpg161511278-M.jpg
Happy landings and thanks for looking - comnments critiques always welcome and appreciated!
161510913-M.jpg
www.troutstreaming.com
Outdoor and Sports Media

Comments

• HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    Well you can count on me for a comment. Looks like you've expanded and refined your low angle shots. Looks good to me!

Also I like the slow shutter speed pan shots. I do a lot of those on a second round at hunter shows, especially for jumpers, and then at events on xc when they gallop away from a jump.

What sutter speed are you using? I tend to go with 1/60 (with the VR or IS off...)
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    You have some great shots there, low angles look good, i'll be posting some from Bramham International Horse Trials later
  • troutstreamingtroutstreaming Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    Well you can count on me for a comment. Looks like you've expanded and refined your low angle shots. Looks good to me!

Also I like the slow shutter speed pan shots. I do a lot of those on a second round at hunter shows, especially for jumpers, and then at events on xc when they gallop away from a jump.

What sutter speed are you using? I tend to go with 1/60 (with the VR or IS off...)

Thanks for the comments!

The pans were done at 1/60 with the IS in mode 2 (panning mode for Canon IS). I have used 1/30 for dressage before. I have not tried the 70-200 with the IS off completely, but sometimes use the 135 or 85 primes or the 16-35 on a second body which do not have IS. Any experience for which is preferable from the sales end - a sharp rider versus a sharp horse? My panning shots have been done more for technique polishing than sales.

This show had far more opportunity for keepers than there were potential buyers (four days with 115 horses in 2 hunter rings and one jumper ring with two photographers) so I got to play around with different angles and techiques more than usual. Good for the portfolio anyway. They only had two entrants for the level 7 so canceled it, but there were level 6 jumpers every day with a $10k prize for the Sunday event, so some motivated riders and trainers. A larger selection of my images from the event can be seen here - http://www.troutstreaming.com/gallery/2983128/1/161538866

Thanks again for the comments!

Andy
    www.troutstreaming.com
    Outdoor and Sports Media
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    That's exactly right, Andy... I started switching from AP to SP just to have some fun, not trying to sell, they don't often sell, but you figure you have that second round, to work on other techniques. Seriously though, your low angle remote shots from this show are far better then the one from the other thread. You have me working on figuring out how to incorporate a remote camera into my program... On a bit of a break from this year's horse trials, 14 so far, and I want to go to the next one with some new ideas.. Thanks..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..