Derby Racing (Soap Box Style)

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited June 11, 2007 in Sports
The race was held down the street from my house today and I had to grab my camera and walk to it. It was so cool! I wish that I was a kid again so I could race.

1. Just like the pro's... can't race without sponsorship. The cars were sponsored by groups, companies and individuals. There was even a car sponsored by the Mtn. View Police and Fire Dept!
161476612-L-1.jpg

2. Beautiful Paint job -- fitting for a Lion's Club car! The kids kept on polishing the cars, over and over again. They were so proud!
161477455-L-1.jpg

3. I'm the driver!
161481515-L-1.jpg

4. This is a very special car and I think it's called super kids. The driver is an experience one and the passenger is for a child with disabilities, but the car has dual controls and breaks. They refused to get out of the car.

161482649-L-1.jpg

5. Each car needs a racing team
161494182-L-1.jpg

6. Tuck helps!
161496949-L-1.jpg

7. Tuck position, holding a straight line. The kids who won were the ones steered to keep the cars as straight as possible.
161476182-L-1.jpg

The margin between head-to-head heats were really close. I think some kids won by a margin of 0.1 s. This was the first time that it was held in this location and I think the event was a succesful. Hopefully, it will be back.

Since it's held in smugmug's HQ's backyard, maybe there will be a black and green car in the future.

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    aktse wrote:
    The race was held down the street from my house today and I had to grab my camera and walk to it. It was so cool! I wish that I was a kid again so I could race.
    1. Just like the pro's... can't race without sponsorship. The cars were sponsored by groups, companies and individuals. There was even a car sponsored by the Mtn. View Police and Fire Dept!
    2. Beautiful Paint job -- fitting for a Lion's Club car! The kids kept on polishing the cars, over and over again. They were so proud!
    3. I'm the driver!
    4. This is a very special car and I think it's called super kids. The driver is an experience one and the passenger is for a child with disabilities, but the car has dual controls and breaks. They refused to get out of the car.
    5. Each car needs a racing team
    6. Tuck helps!
    7. Tuck position, holding a straight line. The kids who won were the ones steered to keep the cars as straight as possible.
    The margin between head-to-head heats were really close. I think some kids won by a margin of 0.1 s. This was the first time that it was held in this location and I think the event was a succesful. Hopefully, it will be back.
    Since it's held in smugmug's HQ's backyard, maybe there will be a black and green car in the future.

Hmmmmmmmm I don't recall seeing such fine machines in my neighbourhood when I was a kid no-sir-eeeee, all we had was old wooden fruit box's and the wheels off the pram (shhhhhhhh don't tell mum thumb.gif ) a bit of rope to hold onto, and you had to steer it with your feet, ya didn't have no brakes, you either crashed the dang thing, or simply dragged your only pair of shoes along the road and hoped you didn't put a hole in them rolleyes1.gif

Those carts look real PRO, gosh they take it seriously don't they eek7.gif
    Nice paint jobs too, and designs.

Looks like a heap of fun too clap.gif great post thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin