Options

Interesting Ride Today

TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
edited June 12, 2007 in Journeys
My riding partner Brad and I took a ride out around Lake Isabella and wound up at the Kern Valley Airport for breakfast. Excellent Ortega omlette, FWIW.

161433526-M.jpg

161433079-M.jpg

After breakfast, we buzzed down the runway to check out this Sikorsky CH-54 skycrane, on call to put out any hotspots in a stubborn fire we've been fighting for about a week.

161434099-M.jpg

161435762-M.jpg

Somewhere in the vicinity of 80 feet long, this copter has a six-blade rotor measuring 72 feet in diamter.

161443998-M.jpg

Its dual Pratt & Whitney jet engines each stir up 4,050 shaft horsepower. Apparently parts are no longer available and the pilot told us he travels with 3 mechanics at all times.

161437241-M.jpg

The cabin holds a crew of three.

161439426-M.jpg

The tricycle landing-gear are on outriggers to help accommodate large, military payloads in Vietnam. Now they hold water tanks.

161442624-M.jpg

Each of these two water tanks holds 1,000 gallons of water.

161440410-M.jpg

Buttons and switches. LOTS of buttons and switches.

161440838-L.jpg

Cars should have these.

161440950-M.jpg

I like this still life. I'm a bit concerned that he's only on volume 1.

161441961-M.jpg

Both Vietnam vets, here my buddy Brad chats with George Knight, the pilot.

161445234-M.jpg

Parts might be hard to come by, but you'd think they'd spring for some new tires. Sheesh.

When we were done with the helicopter tour, we continued our ride up Caliente-Bodfish road. Here's a view of Lake Isabella from the top.

161446253-M.jpg

161448179-M.jpg

Brad cruising his GS.

Further up the mountain we came into Havilah, a wide spot in the road that was, at one time, Kern's county seat.

161449947-M.jpg

The old school house.

161453155-M.jpg

Brad chatting with Earl, the Havilah museum docent.

161454371-M.jpg

Havilah's museum.

161454598-M.jpg

The museum features a charming little diorama of the old town in its hey-day.

161455921-L.jpg

I'm sorry I don't know the significance of this particular flag, but it was an eye-catching display.

161458167-L.jpg

That's it for breakfast, helicopters, and Havilah. The rest of the pictures are here. Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.
"Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    Tommyboy wrote:
    My riding partner Brad and I took a ride out around Lake Isabella and wound up at the Kern Valley Airport for breakfast. Excellent Ortega omlette, FWIW.
    That's it for breakfast, helicopters, and Havilah. The rest of the pictures are here. Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

Great post Tommyboy, the control panels inside Choppers have always amazed me, kinda looks scary even, just looks like the joy stick on a computer game eek7.gif

Interesting Post, thanks for sharing thumb.gif ......... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    Thanks for sharing those pictures! I've never seen a helicopter like that before. It's absolutely amazing!!
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 11, 2007
    Awesome! thanks for taking us along!

and btw, seems great minds think alike... that 12GSadv is new to you if I'm not mistaken? Mine, same color, is about a month old now. :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited June 11, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Awesome! thanks for taking us along!

and btw, seems great minds think alike... that 12GSadv is new to you if I'm not mistaken? Mine, same color, is about a month old now. :D

Thanks, Doc. You're right--I bought it about 90 days ago. I absolutely love it and it gets better on every ride. I can't wait to turn 20k when I expect that it will really settle in.

This is your second GS, no? How do you like yours? Pictures?

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2007
    Tommyboy wrote:
    Thanks, Doc. You're right--I bought it about 90 days ago. I absolutely love it and it gets better on every ride. I can't wait to turn 20k when I expect that it will really settle in.

This is your second GS, no? How do you like yours? Pictures?
    Yup, it's my second GSadventure (just delivered the 1150 to its new owner on saturday, actually). Everything on the 1200 is the same, but a little better, really. I love it. I doubt I'll put 20k on mine before I move to Oz, unfortunately. This love affair will be shorter, but sweet, nonetheless. :D

A recent ride, with my friend, the captain lol3.gif

150189398-M.jpg

150192237-M.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited June 11, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yup, it's my second GSadventure (just delivered the 1150 to its new owner on saturday, actually). Everything on the 1200 is the same, but a little better, really. I love it. I doubt I'll put 20k on mine before I move to Oz, unfortunately. This love affair will be shorter, but sweet, nonetheless. :D

You're moving to Australia?!?! Where? I spent last summer there. . . . What a country.

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    Tommyboy wrote:
    You're moving to Australia?!?! Where? I spent last summer there. . . . What a country.
    Brisbane, for the next two years. Starting August 1. :D

(I remember your trip report nod.gif, mostly west coast, right?)
    Erik

• Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Brisbane, for the next two years. Starting August 1. :D

(I remember your trip report nod.gif, mostly west coast, right?)

Yup. Spent a lot of time in Perth, but did do Sydney and Melbourne. We had three days in Brisbane as well.

I'm sure you know quite a lot about it as you're planning a two-year stay, but for my money, you're in for the time of your life. Wonderful people, great country. So similar yet so different than the U.S. I can't say enough nice things about Aussies and their country. My wife and I are kicking around the idea of doing a one-year teacher's exchange kind of thing. . . . . We'll see how that pans out.

I hope (and assume) you'll maintain your board duties while there. I'm eager to see some of your antipodean photography.

Can't take the GS? ne_nau.gif

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    Tommyboy wrote:
    I hope (and assume) you'll maintain your board duties while there. I'm eager to see some of your antipodean photography.
    You bet! I may be MIA for a little while right around the move, but indeed, Andy's not letting me off the hook for nothin'! I'm looking forward to some new shooting inspiration myself!
    Can't take the GS? ne_nau.gif
    All my research is pointing towards prohibitively expensive and covered in red tape. umph.gif
    Erik