LPS 6 - Did you find it

rddphotosrddphotos Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited June 13, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
a little on the tough side.

I was able to get plenty of photo's, just nothing I would consider a photograph.

Congrat's go to those that entered. There is some great photograph's in there.

Catch you all in LPS 7 and of course those that will be joining me in the Grand Finale next year.

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    rddphotos wrote:
    a little on the tough side.

I was able to get plenty of photo's, just nothing I would consider a photograph.

Congrat's go to those that entered. There is some great photograph's in there.

Catch you all in LPS 7 and of course those that will be joining me in the Grand Finale next year.
    I agree. LPS #6 was not as easy as I thought it would be. There were plenty of curvy and angular subjects to photograph but HOW to photograph them to make a pleasing or interesting composition was tough for me in this challenge.

LPS #7 is going to be a bear! :hack
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    when i first saw the theme, I thought it wouldn't be so bad, but after i started taking photos, i was surprised how disappointed i was in not getting what i envisioned. in fact here are a few more that i didn't feel were up to standard. but at least it kept me snapping...

159246621-M.jpg

159449571-M.jpg

161747479-M-1.jpg

161777091-M-1.jpg

161775045-M.jpg
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    You know what's awesome about this is that it can point out a visual weak point. And the work put into exploring ways around that can lead to a unique visual style once you find the work around that pleases you.

The visual style you adopt can be incorporated into other compositional problems. With time, they add up into a visual toolbox of sorts that let you more easily turn thoughts and ideas into tangible images.

So be glad you had a hard time, and bravo to all the work put into solving the problem. You are all building valuable experience that only come with hard work clap.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited June 11, 2007
    Tessa HD wrote:

161777091-M-1.jpg

Too bad the theme didn't deal with reflections! :cry This is a neat shot. thumb.gif

Today I was finally able to find a crop that worked on that swan photo I had wanted to submit at the last minute. rolleyes1.gif
    edited June 11, 2007
    You know what's awesome about this is that it can point out a visual weak point. And the work put into exploring ways around that can lead to a unique visual style once you find the work around that pleases you.

The visual style you adopt can be incorporated into other compositional problems. With time, they add up into a visual toolbox of sorts that let you more easily turn thoughts and ideas into tangible images.

So be glad you had a hard time, and bravo to all the work put into solving the problem. You are all building valuable experience that only come with hard work clap.gif

You know, it's all about the practice. You just have to keep at it until you get it right. It's like that in music and sports. Photography is not that much different.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    For me, as I already mentioned, the tough part was not the themes, but the much improved level of the fellow contestants.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited June 11, 2007
    nik, linda
    Nik - yeah, I agree, that too.
    Linda - yup, that's why i didn't enter that one - the reflections outweighed the curviness. it WAS a beautful day which are hard to come by 'round here!

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    This was tough for me because I struggled to execute the idea I wanted to convey (my submitted photo wasn't even in the ballpark) and never fully got it. I did, however, manage to at least cultivate an idea in my head and make some attempts. One of these days it's all going to come together...

Oh, and the caliber of entries was outstanding.

Jesse
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    Tessa, I really like your first image in this thread. I love the texture and colors. WTG.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    Humbling!
    To me, it was a very humbling experience, as the assignment was way outside of what I would normally shoot. But the exercise had me looking every moment for an opportunity, and in the process I came up with a lot of stuff that I'm going to have a lot of fun working with in the coming weeks. Then came the time to submit, and looking at the entries up to that point, they were so good that I almost didn't press the button!

Onward!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007

LPS has been very much like a class in photography for me. Each new idea I shoot comes with its own set of challenges. Some problems are technical; developing better technique with the camera, lens, lights, or in post. Others are more aesthetic; how to communicate better visually or how to create a more pleasing image. Finally, there is the challenge of access: how can I create an image with what I have access to? How can I get access to what I need? I am definitely finding that the skills I am building are making new things possible.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    LPS has been very much like a class in photography for me. Each new idea I shoot comes with its own set of challenges. Some problems are technical; developing better technique with the camera, lens, lights, or in post. Others are more aesthetic; how to communicate better visually or how to create a more pleasing image. Finally, there is the challenge of access: how can I create an image with what I have access to? How can I get access to what I need? I am definitely finding that the skills I am building are making new things possible.

so true... 15524779-Ti.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Tessa HD wrote:
    when i first saw the theme, I thought it wouldn't be so bad, but after i started taking photos, i was surprised how disappointed i was in not getting what i envisioned. in fact here are a few more that i didn't feel were up to standard. but at least it kept me snapping...

159246621-M.jpg

This shot may not have made your wish list for LPS 6, but this is a great photograph...and I'm sure someone out there would like it hanging on their wall...say as a 16X20 or 20X30 fine art print. Just my opinion, but in the end, that's what sells art.

It's composition, color, lighting, and shadow really catch my eye.

Try viewing using the red dgrin background.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Ed911 wrote:
    This shot may not have made your wish list for LPS 6, but this is a great photograph...and I'm sure someone out there would like it hanging on their wall...say as a 16X20 or 20X30 fine art print. Just my opinion, but in the end, that's what sells art.

It's composition, color, lighting, and shadow really catch my eye.

Try viewing using the red dgrin background.

Yes that red flower photo is awesome. So subtle and low key. Brilliant!
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Nice shot of the Red Flower Tessa.

To me it seems almost as if the flower wants to jump out of the frame...
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited June 13, 2007
    ed, shay, tentacion,
    I just saw your comments - thank you!!!! i was a little mixed on the image, thanks i needed that!

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com