A 30D In The Heat!

GinnyGinny Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited June 26, 2007 in Cameras
I looked through the owners manual at all the warnings and did a search, but I can't find anything ... I hope that means it's okay.

I just got back from a two week road trip and now I'm packing my motorcycle for another week on the road. The thing I'm worried about now is my camera and lenses will be in my black top-case roasting away in the southwestern desert sun instead of the air conditioning of my Tahoe.
I used to have an ice chest for my film. I know there are people on this board that are in hotter places than the Southern California desert with digital cameras, so I'm asking what the consensus is regarding digital camera gear in a hot trunk.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Comments

• NewCreation517NewCreation517 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    Hmmm ... I'm also a SoCal guy who packs up his (20D) on the back of a Harley for picture adventures. I've never had a problem, but I always use a soft T-bag which allows some ventilation. My guess is you probably you wouldn't have a problem, so long as whenever you fill up for gas you take the camera out and let the trunk get some fresh air. The only real concern I can think of is the LCD screen, which is pretty thin skinned in terms of heat resistance.

I don't think an ice chest is a good idea, unless your camera is waterproofed or put in a waterproof containter. This would cause condensation on the lenses and possibly the sensor.
    Not there yet, but I've passed the start ...
    While Canon gives the maximum working temperature as 104F, they don't mention a storage temperature in the manual. Still, I'd worry about the lubricants getting thinned out and spreading around. On the other hand, I'll bet your trunk doesn't get nearly as hot as you think it does, especially when you're moving. Cars get really hot inside because they have windows. Trunks actually stay cooler. I'd put a thermometer in your trunk and go ride around and see how bad the problem really is. Of course I wouldn't park the bike in the sun for any prolonged amount of time with the camera gear in it either.

I'm leaving this coming weekend for a week long bike trip myself. I'll be rattling around Colorado and Arizona mountains on my K1200LT, with a trunk full of camera gear.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    My 30D had no issues...
    Just got back from a 4700 mile 10 day road trip on my Goldwing with my 30D in the trunk. Ran through TX, Mohave desert, Big Sur, Sequoia, Yosemite, Bodie, Death Valley, Vegas, Hoover Dam, Boot Hill & Tombstone, then back through Texas.

No issues that I have seen.

Ride Safe thumb.gif
    Randy
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited June 26, 2007
    rwells wrote:
    Just got back from a 4700 mile 10 day road trip on my Goldwing with my 30D in the trunk. Ran through TX, Mohave desert, Big Sur, Sequoia, Yosemite, Bodie, Death Valley, Vegas, Hoover Dam, Boot Hill & Tombstone, then back through Texas.

Get any shots? mwink.gif
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    Get any shots? mwink.gif

Yep... I'm still working on processing them. Rodeo pics (my job) have priority though mwink.gif

I'll post some in a "Journey's" thread.

Thanks for asking.

BTW, I spent the night in Kingman, AZ on the trip.
    Randy
  • DesmondDesmond Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    I'm an auto electrician [ not a camera technician though ] , and I find that most problems with electronics is in cold areas away from a heat source , where there is condensation and no evaporation . The electrical systems near the engine compartment have less problems .[ some computers are mounted against the engine block !]. Maybe someone has some more facts on this but I would say that heat is better for a camera than cold .[ as long as it's not excessive ]
    Nikon D80 , D50 , SB600 , SB800 , Nikon 18-200VR , Tamron 28-75 di 2.8 , Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 , Nikon 50mm 1.8 . Tamron 17-50 f2.8 , Nikon 70-200 VR f2.8 .