Options

Canon 50 Mp sensor announced

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited June 12, 2007 in Cameras
Check it here. Also google for "Canon 50 mp", there are other links.
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited June 11, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Check it here. Also google for "Canon 50 mp", there are other links.

Thanks Nik!

I wonder what the noise specs are for that chip? I wonder what lenses would resolve to that chip?

Marketing, you gotta love it! mwink.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I wonder what the noise specs are for that chip? I wonder what lenses would resolve to that chip?

I actually tried to answer that question a while back. At f/8 you hit the diffraction limit at around 40MP full frame, 24MP APS-H or 15MP APS-C (assuming a Bayer pattern chip). To take advantage of a full frame 35mm sensor with a higher resolution than 40MP requires a lens that is sharper at f/5.6 then f/8. Many of the prized L primes fit in that category, so lenses for that camera do exist today. That article mentions an APS-H sensor size, so I am guessing the sensor is targeted at people shooting with big white lenses. The 300/2.8, 400/2.8, 500/4, and 600/4 probably all resolve well enough for that sensor.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited June 11, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I actually tried to answer that question a while back. At f/8 you hit the diffraction limit at around 40MP full frame, 24MP APS-H or 15MP APS-C (assuming a Bayer pattern chip). To take advantage of a full frame 35mm sensor with a higher resolution than 40MP requires a lens that is sharper at f/5.6 then f/8. Many of the prized L primes fit in that category, so lenses for that camera do exist today. That article mentions an APS-H sensor size, so I am guessing the sensor is targeted at people shooting with big white lenses. The 300/2.8, 400/2.8, 500/4, and 600/4 probably all resolve well enough for that sensor.

There is still some debate on how many Canon lenses fully resolve to the capabilities of the 1Ds MKII, which is full frame and 16 MPix. Since this new sensor is smaller, I seriously doubt that many, indeed if any, current lenses can actually provide enough measurable resolution to really accomodate the 40 MPix sensor.

The technology does exist and NASA and some other government agencies have already demonstrated capabilities beyond those used in mass production today. Maybe Canon is developing something which is up to the needs of this imager? ne_nau.gif

Either way, this new imager seriously raises the bar.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Gotta love the final comment:
    There are no plans to launch this just yet, so we can rest easy for now with our measly, pathetic, poxy, low-res 12MP digi-cams. Sigh.

rolleyes1.gif