Options

Decisions..

JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
edited February 22, 2005 in Cameras
I'm trying to decide something and I'm kind of stuck.

Part of me really...and I mean REALLY...wants the Nikon D2X. I want more MP, faster AF, the Pro body, etc.

But I'm not a "pro".

I could easily put this on credit and pay it off in 4-5 months so that it's not that huge of a dent.

I plan on doing photography on the side (paid hopefully!) and still keep my regular job.

Currently I own a D70. I like it but it does have it's limitations.

Am I just having camera lust or would it be worth getting the D2X?

OR...

Should I put that money towards a big lens? It would be nice..say a 200-400mm VR lens, but then again, will I use it all that much? I love my 80-200mm, but not sure how much I would put to use a larger lens.....

Any serious input would be appreciated.

As far as the D2H, while it is a great camera, I don't know....perhaps I should consider it instead?

I plan on doing portraits, weddings (hopefully) for pay...

but for fun, landscapes, bugs, flowers, etc .

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    JohnR wrote:

Part of me really...and I mean REALLY...wants the Nikon D2X. I want more MP, faster AF, the Pro body, etc.

But I'm not a "pro".

I could easily put this on credit and pay it off in 4-5 months so that it's not that huge of a dent.

I plan on doing photography on the side (paid hopefully!) and still keep my regular job.

OR...

Should I put that money towards a big lens? It would be nice..say a 200-400mm VR lens, but then again, will I use it all that much? I love my 80-200mm, but not sure how much I would put to use a larger lens.....

As far as the D2H, while it is a great camera, I don't know....perhaps I should consider it instead?

get the lens and then in 3mos if you're still feeling the same way, do the camera.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    Hey John,

For the photography you said that you wanted to do the 200-400 VR lens doesn't make sense. Its a great,great lens (I want one bad) but you don't really need it.

I would go with the D2H a good macro (the Nikon 105/2.8), a good wide angle (17-35/2.8), and a good portrait lens (Nikon 28-70/2.8).

This would give you a pro level camera (i've seen the pics from the D2h, marvlous) that handles lkie a dream and some fine lenses that would fit into the photography you want to do.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    At the risk of sounding repetitive.... you'll have the glass longer than you'll have the camera. So if you need glass, get that before you get a new body. Before you know it, top quality used D2X bodies will be selling at Fred Miranda.

'course, easier said than done - I haven't exactly been steadfast in the face of my impulses! naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    Did I say 3 months? :O I meant 4-6 months heh

Harryb, I have the 105mm macro, the 50mm f/1.8, 80-200mm f/2.8 and the 18-70mm f/3.5 kit lens.

So...everyone says glass first then camera?
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    Harryb, after re-reading your post, I wanted to add a bit more. (Sorry, just coming in from a night at the bar ;) )

Yeah, the 200-400mm lens would be awesome to have, but probably more economical to rent, if possible. I'm afraid that I wouldn't use it to it's full potential.

In regards to the D2H, it would be hard to justify to my fiance that I want to pay more for a camera that has less MP. She just wouldn't understand! Plus the D2X offers a lot more, IMO.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    JohnR wrote:

But I'm not a "pro".

OR...

I've upgraded to the D2H from D70, and have no regrets. Life does not revolve around MP.

$5000 is a lot of $$ for a camera you may not even need. I know a lot of people doing great portraits with their D70. What do you think the D2X will give you that a D70, or D2H won't give you? I've printed many 20x30 & 24x36 from my little 4mp camera with amazing results.

If I had a $5000 budget for camera/lenses I'd put most into good glass. I'd upgrade my D70 to D2H & keep the D70 as a backup. Put the last $3000 into good glass.

For portraits you would want to consider the 105mm DC. I can't think of a better lens for this use. A 28-70 f/2.8 would also be a good buy if your working in tight places, or on location. Lots of flexibility there.

Hope this helps.

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Harryb, after re-reading your post, I wanted to add a bit more. (Sorry, just coming in from a night at the bar ;) )

Yeah, the 200-400mm lens would be awesome to have, but probably more economical to rent, if possible. I'm afraid that I wouldn't use it to it's full potential.

In regards to the D2H, it would be hard to justify to my fiance that I want to pay more for a camera that has less MP. She just wouldn't understand! Plus the D2X offers a lot more, IMO.
    John show your fiance this web site http://www.digital-images.net/index.html
    Its the web site of Ron Reznick. Most of the shots were with the D2H
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    I've upgraded to the D2H from D70, and have no regrets. Life does not revolve around MP.

$5000 is a lot of $$ for a camera you may not even need. I know a lot of people doing great portraits with their D70. What do you think the D2X will give you that a D70, or D2H won't give you? I've printed many 20x30 & 24x36 from my little 4mp camera with amazing results.

If I had a $5000 budget for camera/lenses I'd put most into good glass. I'd upgrade my D70 to D2H & keep the D70 as a backup. Put the last $3000 into good glass.

For portraits you would want to consider the 105mm DC. I can't think of a better lens for this use. A 28-70 f/2.8 would also be a good buy if your working in tight places, or on location. Lots of flexibility there.

Hope this helps.

Dave

That 105mm DC looks to be a specialized lens? Like a fish eye type...where you would only use it for special occasions?

I would like to (eventually) replace my kit lens with faster lenses one day.

The D2H is a nice camera and I may go that route. As you can see, I haven't totally made up my mind.

I think the hard part for me is trying to decide if I want the D2X purely out of camera-lust or if it will actually benefit me. In my mind I think that it would benefit me because of the faster autofocus, bigger megapixel (more detail), pro body (feel, construction, water resistant [right?], and the fact that it would last me 4+ years.

But then...am I just thinking that just to satisfy my lust? heh
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    A question about the D2H:

I have read on other forums about this camera and how it's a touchy camera...that if the settings are a bit off..boom, the photos aren't very good. Perhaps that's an overexageration, but I don't know? is it a hard camera to learn?

What about the D1X? Would that be a good alternative?
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    A question about the D2H:

I have read on other forums about this camera and how it's a touchy camera...that if the settings are a bit off..boom, the photos aren't very good. Perhaps that's an overexageration, but I don't know? is it a hard camera to learn?

What about the D1X? Would that be a good alternative?

I think that rumor was started by people buying the camera that had no business using it. I moved from the D70 with ease. The menu & operation are very similar, if not the same. The D2H is actually more forgiving than the D70 due to greater dynamic range & faster, more accurate focusing. Don't forget about the viewfinder. Trying to use Manual focus on the D70 was painful in the little viewfinder. The D2H is much larger, and I actually use MF a lot now.

I've never used a D1X, but did consider it before buying the D2H. If you plan on doing any flash photography, the D2H seems to be a better camera. It supports the newer i-TTL flash technology in the SB-800 & SB-600. This makes shooting with a flash very easy, almost fool proof.

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    Thanks for the info.

I still have to ask my fiance what she thinks....
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Thanks for the info.

I still have to ask my fiance what she thinks....

Asking the accountant for photography advice is never a good idea :D

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    It's not necessarily photographic advice, it's more of "Hey honey...can I get this camera?" :D
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    It's not necessarily photographic advice, it's more of "Hey honey...can I get this camera?" :D

I'm in the same boat. I usually sneak the new gear in to the house.

I've given my girlfriend the official title of CFO...Can't Find Out

:D

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    I'm in the same boat. I usually sneak the new gear in to the house.

I've given my girlfriend the official title of CFO...Can't Find Out

:D

Dave

:D:D:D:D I'm laughing and my fiance is wondering why!

I think she'll be up for it. Just have to bring it to her attention slowly. I'm going to push for the D2X though....wish me luck!

Reason I'm going to try is because I figure this will be my last major purchase for quite some time....as in years. So I might as well get something that I want.

As far as lenses go, they are a lot cheaper (as far as the 17-35mm and similar lenses are, the 200-400mm lens I think I'll rent instead)
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    There is no doubt that the D2X is going to be an amazing camera. PMA is in a few days, so you may want to keep a close eye on what else Nikon introduces. There are rumors of an upgraded D2H.

I just hope they come out with some new glass. Sigma announced something like 13-15 new lenses today!

Its a rainy sunday, so I've got nothing better to do than read the little bits of news out there.

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    a quick attempt at subtly (? Spelling) trying to get her to ask did nothing. I guess I have to be more direct. hehe
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    Ok..I went to the local camera store and actually got to hold a D2H and take some shots.

Now I'm sunk because wow...I was VERY impressed with this camera!
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Ok..I went to the local camera store and actually got to hold a D2H and take some shots.

Now I'm sunk because wow...I was VERY impressed with this camera!

The D2H is a great camera. I don't think they could have designed the body any better. There is a good reason they built the D2X on the D2H body. They are exactly the same if you take a close look :D

Now that I have the D2H, the D70 just doesn't feel right in my hands.

Good luck with making a decision. I don't think you could go wrong with either. If budget allows for D2X, go for it. Just don't let me know how great is is deal.gif

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    Budget would allow it...especially since I would be making payments on it. Problem is, that's a LOT of money.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Budget would allow it...especially since I would be making payments on it. Problem is, that's a LOT of money.

No kidding. We could have picked a cheaper hobby. :D

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    And I use Macs. Double-whammy!
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    And I use Macs. Double-whammy!

Same here. I'm a sucker for any new gizmo Apple produces. I'm currently typing on my PB and waiting for my iPod Shuffle to ship (the 4th iPod in a house of 2). I'm just a gadget freak and Apple knows just how to sell to me. I don't need it, but I *must* have it...lol

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    yeah, I hear ya. I'm on my G5 with the 23inch LCD. The iBook is next to me and the iMac G4 is on the other table.

We have 2 iPods.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Girls used to be impressed that I had a Leica M6, Nikon F4s, and lenses for each. Then they learned that to support the camera habit I ate leftover pizza. Talk about an addict.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Girls used to be impressed that I had a Leica M6, Nikon F4s, and lenses for each. Then they learned that to support the camera habit I ate leftover pizza. Talk about an addict.
    Leftover pizza, MMmmmmm!:eat
    Harry
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    Woohoo! I think she's open to me getting the D2X after our honeymoon! :D

She asked if I could pay of $5000 before Aug. when interest rates start applying to the Discover Card!
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Woohoo! I think she's open to me getting the D2X after our honeymoon! :D

She asked if I could pay of $5000 before Aug. when interest rates start applying to the Discover Card!

Dude! That's awesome. You've got a great lady there. Now buy it before the wedding, cuz after the wedding, she might change her mind. :uhoh
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Leftover pizza, MMmmmmm!:eat

It's always ATF with you, isn't it Harry? 10944573-Ti.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    :D Nah...I don't think she's like that.

At first I thought I would have to "settle" for the D2H because she didn't like the idea of the price of the D2X.

Then she said the above later....