LPS#6 Feedback thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    #49 Robert - Stairway
    Another neat image that didn't make my cut. The lighting has created a wonderful,dramatic shadow, but your processing was too safe for my tastes. I would punch that shadow up with deeper blacks and add some depth to it with a very slight dark brown tone.
    Thanks for your detailed critique Susan. Maybe the image could have done with a touch more contrast, but I’m more into photography than photoshopping. I leave the heavy Photoshop stuff to graphic designers. Funny enough, in this case I actually tried more contrast on account of a friend of mine (who is a graphic designer) suggesting it, but didn’t like it.
    But regards the slight dark brown tone I must disagree completely. That seems as off to me as red grass.
    In this case the same friend suggested more blue tint, which I went along with. Not as far as he suggested, but some.
    Robert
  • Options
    SmashtoadSmashtoad Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    woohoo!
    26 - Smashtoad - Exit Orange
    An angled shot does not an interesting photo make. The photo needs more than the angle for me.

Good thing I didn't take it for you...took it for me.

The shot was taken because of the deeply saturated orange, which just screams at you...not the angle of the photo...that just kept it from being completely boring. I shoot for color and the potential for framing. Making something pleasing to the eye out of nothing...like an exit sign.

Since I don't rely on other people to tell me what is a good shot and what isn't, but many others seem to thrive on it...here's some feedback.

#12 Bending the Rule
    - This had to get in because of the title or the lighting...for it couldn't have been the subject. Ridiculous.

#17 Subtly Sensual Sinuous Sheets of Silky Shiny Saffron Steel
    - Fantastic, just beautiful. More beautiful than anything that made the semis...save the boardwalk shot and Zantedeschia. Love this shot...pure art, and don't let anyone tell you any different.

#22 Archway
    - a tourist snapshot turned at an angle (I thought angled shots weren't interesting?)...but it's in the winner's group...woohoo! Twenty three grandma's took the same shot that day....and the next day...and the next...I love the blurry woman in the shot though...it adds ACTION! It has the WOW factor! No effort whatsoever was put into the making of this shot.

#23 Spectrum
    - NIce

#31 Helix
    - Decent composition, but I've seen more color in a funeral home. Should have called it "Building".

#32 Under the Boardwalk
    - The clear winner, in my opinion. Turned vertical in a frame, this would be spectacular on the wall...putting things on the wall is the point, no?

Instant art made with an aperture...fantastic. I love it.

#34 Angles of an orange
    - Sweet...hehe. Very cool.

#42 Natural Curves
    - Very nice

#48 Center Pivot
    - Nice color saturation...subject isn't quite as boring as bowling.

#50 Zantedeschia
    - Just beautiful...beautiful.

And the winner is a baby's butt in dappled light. Personally, I find it very cheap...like when the ugly chick won home coming queen because it was just the right thing to do. Against a shot like Seastack from the last contest...this has no prayer.

Next time I lose...probably to a shot of a dog taking ice cream from a kid or something...I'll try not to be such a whiner...sorry.

Peace

• Options
    nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    For the peaches that bruise easily, there should be a "no critique" line added above the picture so that the judges can skip any commentary on such sensitive submittals.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Smashtoad wrote:
    Next time I lose...probably to a shot of a dog taking ice cream from a kid or something...I'll try not to be such a whiner...sorry.

Peace

At least your post was entertaining mwink.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Smashtoad wrote:

And the winner is a baby's butt in dappled light. Personally, I find it very cheap...
    Ouch!
    Smashtoad wrote:

Next time I lose...probably to a shot of a dog taking ice cream from a kid or something...

Thanks for the idea!:D
  • Options
    PovertybarnPovertybarn Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Smashtoad wrote:
    Good thing I didn't take it for you...took it for me.

#48 Center Pivot

Wow... Do I sense jealousnes and bitterness? Congrats to all the finalists. That center pivot picture I agree with you...subject isn't quite as boring as a exit sign turned into a angle.
  • Options
    NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    #23 Spectrum1
    - NIce

Thank you....tho' I did ask for comments on this one ....it was my original thought for LPS 6. I did post something else and other made many, many suggestions.....so as you say and I have seen throughout the feedback.....take it for yourself! think I have seen Shay, Doc and Nicolas say this.....

Spectrum was one I had considered and with a busy schedule had to make time to take it so I had to submit something else (that got nice comments) until I could seize the oppportunity.

Keep up the good work....and thanks for the "nice" comment!! bowdown.gif

Maureen
  • Options
    nelsonstuffnelsonstuff Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Smashtoad wrote:
    #48 Center Pivot
    As sprinklers aren't exactly erupting volcanoes, I'd like to remind you that you took a picture of an exit sign.
    Smashtoad wrote:
    Against a shot like Seastack from the last contest...this has no prayer.
    Again... let's keep things in perspective... you took a picture of an exit sign.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    #8 bfjr A Timid Wave

This nature shot scored in unusual ways for me. High in theme for the repetition of the wing shape and the landscape. Pleasing composition and placement of subject, not centered as many nature shots can be. Difficulty factor weighed in as I know it's hard to shoot birds at all, let alone in a way to meet a challenge theme. Also the beautiful colors and lines strongly appealed to me.
    30 - bfjr - A Timid Wave
    Beautiful. Love how the wing looks so translucent.

Saurora, really dug reading your critque as that what hit me
    while working on this shot. It was then that I decided to enter it.

Shay, thanks but you might be right. I shoulda coulda gone with the curvy 2 legged type, it was screamin for it and it mighta been........ahh we'll never know!

I'm gonna go shake a few trees now and see what falls out for #7 !

Thanks again
  • Options
    StrikeslipStrikeslip Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Smashtoad wrote:
    #22 Archway
    - a tourist snapshot turned at an angle (I thought angled shots weren't interesting?)...but it's in the winner's group...woohoo! Twenty three grandma's took the same shot that day....and the next day...and the next...I love the blurry woman in the shot though...it adds ACTION! It has the WOW factor! No effort whatsoever was put into the making of this shot.

No effort!?!? I'll have you know I had to push twenty two grandma's out of the way to get that shot. It's turned at an angle because the twenty third grandma whacked my camera with her purse just as I hit the shutter release.
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Strikeslip wrote:
    No effort!?!? I'll have you know I had to push twenty two grandma's out of the way to get that shot. It's turned at an angle because the twenty third grandma whacked my camera with her purse just as I hit the shutter release.
    rolleyes1.gif

They sure don't make grandma's like they used to hehehe
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    nikos wrote:
    For the peaches that bruise easily, there should be a "no critique" line added above the picture so that the judges can skip any commentary on such sensitive submittals.

I like it. Title the photo "Please don't judge this photo." Post modernist and surreal at the same time. "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" for the internet generation.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I like it. Title the photo "Please don't judge this photo." Post modernist and surreal at the same time. "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" for the internet generation.
    lol3.gif too funny! rolleyes1.gif

There is also another way - don't submit. Ever. mwink.gif
    That's the only reliable way somebody can prevent his/her work from being critiqued. deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    mwaltersmwalters Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    It's taken me a while - I've been hunting for sorrow - but thanks for taking the time to comment on the non-winners.

Matthew