Arrange photos?

brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
edited June 13, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Does arrange photos take time to process? I have the gallery set to POSITION...
I have re-arranged the gallery (using the Arrange Photos tool) 2x... and the changes are not showing up???
I did one pic w/ drag and drop an it worked OK... Yes I cleared my cookies...
Here's the gallery...
http://www.brandolinoimaging.com/gallery/2951263

I shot the show w/ 2 cameras and want the show in chronilgical order (clock in the D70 must be off by an hour...)

Comments

• brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Any SM help out there for this... It's driving me nuts...
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Any SM help out there for this... It's driving me nuts...
    Anthony, try the Drag and Drop photos tool, let us know how you make out with that.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    I selected a group to arrange and moved them to the top. Went back in and
    picked another group and moved them. When I did the previous ones where
    now all over the place. I repeated this a couple times and the same thing
    happened. So there is definitely something b0nkers.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited June 12, 2007
    The drag and drop is working. But I really need to see the file names to make this work... Can I see the file names while using drag and drop?
    edited June 12, 2007
    I'm about 2 seconds away from typing profanities on this forum!!!! Why is this stupid tool not working???????
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    The drag and drop is working. But I really need to see the file names to make this work... Can I see the file names while using drag and drop?

If you enable filename display and switch to the traditional view, you can see filenames along with thumbs and drag/drop arrange.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited June 13, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    If you enable filename display and switch to the traditional view, you can see filenames along with thumbs and drag/drop arrange.
    Tried it... I do not see any file names...
  • cardoncardon Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Trouble with arrange photo
    I too have been having trouble with arrange photos. If I have a photo that is say photo 70 out of 85 and I change it to position 5 out of 85 and then click save it says its now photo #5 of 85 but it stays in the 70 position. I've been doing this in Internet Explorer and sometimes it moves and sometimes it doesn't - it's been really frustrating. It seems to work a little more often in Netscape but still I can't rely on it. I haven't tried Drag and Drop yet but Arrange this Photo and Arrange Photos sucks.
    baja.smugmug.com
    edited June 13, 2007
    cardon wrote:
    I too have been having trouble with arrange photos. If I have a photo that is say photo 70 out of 85 and I change it to position 5 out of 85 and then click save it says its now photo #5 of 85 but it stays in the 70 position. I've been doing this in Internet Explorer and sometimes it moves and sometimes it doesn't - it's been really frustrating. It seems to work a little more often in Netscape but still I can't rely on it. I haven't tried Drag and Drop yet but Arrange this Photo and Arrange Photos sucks.
    baja.smugmug.com

I have noticed there is sometimes some sort of temporary problem that goes away either with time or with a shirt-reload in the browser, indicating that the change actually did take on the server, it just didn't show in my browser. I don't know if that's always the issue or not. I've also seen this problem in IE and when I switched to Firefox for some management functions, I did not see the problem there.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited June 13, 2007
    Tried it... I do not see any file names...

If filenames are enabled, I see this:

162371665-O.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited June 13, 2007
    I do see that too... but I'm arranging 200+ photos into show order.... flipping pages is not a real option...
    edited June 13, 2007
    Arrange Photos seems to work 50% of the time... every other attempt FAILS!
  • DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    I have the same problem, I've learned to just manual arrange galleries as large as 300+ photos.
    Dan

Canon Gear
    edited June 13, 2007
    I do see that too... but I'm arranging 200+ photos into show order.... flipping pages is not a real option...

Did you try Firefox?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Did you try Firefox?

I always use firefox... and the "arrange photos" has been intermittently working for me as well.... just FYI... this is an issue
    edited June 13, 2007
    dmc wrote:
    I always use firefox... and the "arrange photos" has been intermittently working for me as well.... just FYI... this is an issue
    Yes I am using Fire Fox...
    If this has been an issue why not fix it before "we" add a bunch of "new hottness."???
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    If this has been an issue why not fix it before "we" add a bunch of "new hottness."???
    I agree.... the "FYI" was intended for smugmug folks, I'm just raising my hand that I have had the issue too... It would be nice if they fixed it.
    edited June 13, 2007
    It probably took 60-70 minutes to do a 5 minute job due to this tool not working.... but I have flyouts to create galleries....eek7.gif
    edited June 13, 2007
    Anthony, I'm sorry you are having troubles with the arrange tool.

I just used it again, and it worked exactly as expected:

Gallery set to sort by "Position"
    Photo Tools Menu>Arrange Photos
    Use the tool to move photos into order desired
    Be sure that a different sort option is NOT selected (make sure it is "Position")
    Click Save Changes.
  • wayne861wayne861 Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Problems with arrange tool
    The problem with the arrange tool not "sticking" is not new, It has been this way all during the year I have been here. After arranging a gallery, you click on save changes and are taken to the gallery. The changes may be there or they may not. When you go to arrange photos again, everything is still in the original position. If I only move 6 or 8 photos at a time, it seems to work. This has been on different computers and different browsers, so I don't think it is on my end.
    edited June 13, 2007
    wayne861 wrote:
    The problem with the arrange tool not "sticking" is not new, It has been this way all during the year I have been here. After arranging a gallery, you click on save changes and are taken to the gallery. The changes may be there or they may not. When you go to arrange photos again, everything is still in the original position. If I only move 6 or 8 photos at a time, it seems to work. This has been on different computers and different browsers, so I don't think it is on my end.

Can you take us through the exact steps you use, when you get this problem? Leave nothing, not a word, out please :D Thanks!
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    I just went into "arrange photos" and selected about ten scattered photos.
    Clicked "end" to get them in a group together at the botom, then used the
    arrow to move them up towards the top as a group. Saved and noticed only
    about seven of the ten were together with three somewhere else.

Also noticed some of the previous grouped photos were now scattered also.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • wayne861wayne861 Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Can you take us through the exact steps you use, when you get this problem? Leave nothing, not a word, out please :D Thanks!

I open a gallery, then go to photo tools, arrange. I click on a photo to highlight it and use the arrows on the page to move the photo to where I want it, then click the photo to deselect it. After moving the photos I want to move, I click on save changes. This directs me back to the gallery. If I move only a few images, it seems to work OK. If I select a block of photos and move them all at once with the arrows, it fails about 50% of the time. If I select a photo and click on start or end to move it to the beginning or end of the gallery, it will often fail to stick.
  • FrankCFrankC Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    I get exactly the same problem (as wayne861 describes). Usually it works, but sometimes it doesn't - for no apparent reason.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    FrankC wrote:
    I get exactly the same problem (as wayne861 describes). Usually it works, but sometimes it doesn't - for no apparent reason.

Same exact problem here-- sometimes it 'takes', sometimes it doesn't when arranging photos. I've even had it happen when trying to arrange a single photo in a gallery.

I get the same issue with deleting photos. I delete one, confirm I want it deleted, end up back in the gallery and there's the photo I just deleted. So I go back, delete it again, and it usually works. Sometimes though, it takes two or three tries.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Same problem here, same procedure as everyone else is using.
    Dan

Canon Gear