Options

Sunset Over Zion

BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
edited July 7, 2007 in Landscapes
So, I meant to post this in the last LPS Contest, but I got mixed up on time-zones and missed the deadline by about 1 minute, I figured since I didn't get it in there on time, I ought to at least post it.

So anyway, this is one of the photos from my southern utah trip(Gonna try write up a journey for the journey forum), I'm pretty sure that this area was part of Zion National Park.

Sunset Over Zion

161585949-L.jpg

Exif:
http://bendr.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=161585949

C&C Welcome

Thanks,
Ben

Comments

• Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    I like the composition. If you have a split ND filter available to hold back a lot of that light in the sky and sun, you can get a better exposure on the foreground. I bet that would look great if you can get more of the plant life to show there in the foreground and more of the hills.
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    I like it as is. Nice moment -- nice composition. I'd probably want to blue the skies up a tad more and bring out more detail in the shadows....just to see how that would look.

Lee
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2007
    kygarden wrote:
    I like the composition. If you have a split ND filter available to hold back a lot of that light in the sky and sun, you can get a better exposure on the foreground. I bet that would look great if you can get more of the plant life to show there in the foreground and more of the hills.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I don't have one, though at some point, I may have to get one :)
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2007
    leebase wrote:
    I like it as is. Nice moment -- nice composition. I'd probably want to blue the skies up a tad more and bring out more detail in the shadows....just to see how that would look.

Lee

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to mess with it some more and try that out...
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2007
    nice one ! iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    DJTHEMACDJTHEMAC Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    1. Put it in manual mode! thumb.gif

2. Was the car moving when you took this photo? (if it was, stop and set up next time)

3. The sky looks amazing in this picture, excellent work.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2007
    Thanks again for the advice, I finally got the chance to sit down and rework the photo using your suggestions...

169161688-L.jpg

Quite simply, I didn't expect to like it as much, but instead it blew me away how much more I like it now, Now I'm trying to decide whether to crop the bottom to eliminate the car mirror, but lose part of the valley :)

Thanks again!
    Ben
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2007
    nice one ! iloveyou.gif

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2007
    DJTHEMAC wrote:
    1. Put it in manual mode! thumb.gif
    Given more time that would have been nice, unfortunately, at the time I was shooting from a moving car, while, being blinded by the light, and because of that couldn't spend much time on composition, or settings. However I will try to remember that more often.
    DJTHEMAC wrote:
    2. Was the car moving when you took this photo? (if it was, stop and set up next time)
    Yes it was, and true, it could have been even better that way, unfortunately a large portion of family would not have appreciated another stop(That and I don't recall any pullouts in the immediate vicinity), so I was doing what I could, shooting through a rolled down window. :)
    DJTHEMAC wrote:
    3. The sky looks amazing in this picture, excellent work.
    Thanks!

Thanks again for the advice!

Ben
  • Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    Either way, it was a beautiful moment captured by you. How many times do we say Gee, I wish I had stopped there' I know what you mean by family, so imaptient. They just don't get it. Photography brings out a whole new sense to appreciating nature.thumb.gif You could easily clone out the mirror. Just choose an area next to it and clone it over.
    Bendr wrote:
    Given more time that would have been nice, unfortunately, at the time I was shooting from a moving car, while, being blinded by the light, and because of that couldn't spend much time on composition, or settings. However I will try to remember that more often.

Yes it was, and true, it could have been even better that way, unfortunately a large portion of family would not have appreciated another stop(That and I don't recall any pullouts in the immediate vicinity), so I was doing what I could, shooting through a rolled down window. :)

Thanks!

Thanks again for the advice!

Ben
  • Options
    HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    WOW. The second one blows me away, too.
    Fantastic rework, Ben. clap.gif

I say crop the rearview mirror. And you have a bit of blurred foreground, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Still stunning!
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2007
    Netgarden wrote:
    Either way, it was a beautiful moment captured by you. How many times do we say Gee, I wish I had stopped there' I know what you mean by family, so imaptient. They just don't get it. Photography brings out a whole new sense to appreciating nature.thumb.gif You could easily clone out the mirror. Just choose an area next to it and clone it over.

It's true, very true... :)

I hadn't thought about cloning it out, now I'll have to give it a shot... :D

Thanks,
    Ben
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2007
    HarlanBear wrote:
    WOW. The second one blows me away, too.
    Fantastic rework, Ben. clap.gif

I say crop the rearview mirror. And you have a bit of blurred foreground, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Still stunning!

Thanks, I will give it a shot and we shall see how it looks...