constructive critic

leiftvleiftv Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
edited June 13, 2007 in Sports
I've just started shooting sports action photos and would love any suggestions. Here are a few examples http://www.fleetingmomentsonline.com/gallery/2982650

Comments

• thortatethortate Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    leiftv wrote:
    I've just started shooting sports action photos and would love any suggestions. Here are a few examples http://www.fleetingmomentsonline.com/gallery/2982650

These are a very good start, colour, focus, composition are the promising things that catch my eye - you fill the frame which can be good too for action shots.

I would think about a faster aperture to blur the background, there are one or two background distractions and (if possible) get to ground level (on the field shots) - you seem a bit high up, I think this would put you more in the action

but as I say this is an excellent starting point, well done!

mg 0008 my favourite
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    The good:
    • You're cropping down to fill the frame
    • You've captured some good action in several shots
    Areas for improvement:
    • Poor exposure is probably your biggest problem - you want to expose for faces and your faces are underexposed by quite a bit in many of these. Since you're using AV mode I would suggest a couple things - first use Partial metering so your exposure is biased toward your subject rather than the background. Even then you may need to dial in +1/3 - + 1 EC to combat shadows from the hat/helmet. In the end you should be able to see faces clearly
    • As mentioned by the other poster you need to get lower - shoot UP at your subjects not down on them. This means sitting or kneeling.
    • More focal length and wider apertures. I see most of these are around 180-190mm and f5.0 I have no idea what lens you were using - if it's the 70-200 f4 then shoot at 200mm and f4. The only time you should back off on the zoom is when your subject will no longer fit in the frame. You want shallower DOF to isolate your subjects. AND you want shots framed tighter in-camera to get better sharpness.
    • Last piece of advice - pick 4 or 5 shots for your next post and imbed them - don't link a whole gallery - it takes too much time and it's a rare photog that has 80 plus shots that are worth looking at for critique. If you can't take the time to select 4 or 5 shots and link them in your post, don't expect other photogs to take more time LOOKING than you were willing to take when posting. Make sense?
    Good start. Address the exposure issue, your shooting angle and DOF and you'll be well on your way.

Good luck!