Options

new smugmug features - Feb 12, 2005

onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
edited June 1, 2005 in SmugMug Support
It's that time again. :)

New stuff:

- photo communities has received a huge overhaul. Anyone can now create and manage photo communities, and they're quite powerful. More info: communities help

And of course, dgrin has one , as does dpreview . I think I'll turn both over to Andy's capable hands as soon as he's ready for them. :)

- slideshow was completely re-written by the magnificent JT. We now have something much more elegant, with fading and whatnot, and also a fullscreen mode!

- image protection now goes way beyond "right-click protection" (which is lame anyway), and now prevents you from Saving or dragging and dropping the image, if you have it enabled. Paranoid Pros, you should love this. ;)

- photo sharing page ("share with friends, forums") has received an overhaul to try to make it easier. It now includes a handy email composition wizard that'll launch your mail client for you with the URL embedded in the email to share.

- lots of new and updated help pages, it turns out quite a few people don't know how to copy & paste, so we're trying to help them along. :)

- the breadcrumbs has changed slightly, to include the word "home". People were getting a little confused about what that first link was for, so now it's a little more clear.

- Our Maximum PC "Kick Ass" award is loud and proud on our homepage.

- "batch add to cart" has been updated so it adds the photos in the same sort order as you have your galleries in.

- The XML-RPC API received some bug fixes.

And I'm sure there are more that I'm missing.

Enjoy!

Don

Comments

• Options
    edited February 12, 2005
    onethumb wrote:

Ack! My cute text smiley got replaced with one of the ugly graphic ones. I do apologize. :(

Don
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Ack! My cute text smiley got replaced with one of the ugly graphic ones. I do apologize. :(

Don

i think fish snuck into baldy's wallet and stole the password to the smiley vault lol3.gif

15651422-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2005
    One more:

- You can customize the # of keywords shown on your homepage.

Don
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    Thanks for the info, thumbalina, I thought I noticed something different this evening. I added my name to the dgrin commnity... not sure what that means, but go team!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    savannahgasavannahga Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    onethumb wrote:

Don
    :uhoh

It's actually being held hostage until you release the new smilies. nod.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    How would you save or drag and drop an image that was right click protected?
    Richard
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    How would you save or drag and drop an image that was right click protected?
    Richard
    Left mouse button on a mac.

Don, does that feature protect against Grab (mac)?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    Thanks, Don!
    Standing ovation!clap.gif:Dthumb.gif1drink.gif

I wish I was able to keep up with you guys!
    At least managed to get my taxes done this weekned (and they are already approved!!!)

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    Thanks for the awesome features! clap.gif
    onethumb wrote:
    - slideshow was completely re-written by the magnificent JT. We now have something much more elegant, with fading and whatnot, and also a fullscreen mode!
    Neat GUI and fading! I discovered that at least in my browser (Maxthon IE clone) the images in the fullscreen mode are stretched to the whole width of the window.
    Therefore 800px pictures are shown at 1020 or something like that and that does not look very good. Maybe you can have a look at it.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    Some browsers do a great job with scaling an image up (Safari, IE), while others just do a mediocre job (Firefox). My suggestion is if you don't want the scaling is to use the normal slideshow and choose Large as your photosize. They use almost identical code and fading will behave much nicer.

Thanks for the awesome features! clap.gif
    Neat GUI and fading! I discovered that at least in my browser (Maxthon IE clone) the images in the fullscreen mode are stretched to the whole width of the window.
    Therefore 800px pictures are shown at 1020 or something like that and that does not look very good. Maybe you can have a look at it.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Left mouse button on a mac.

Don, does that feature protect against Grab (mac)?

no, it doesn't - but i don't think you can ever stop a screengrab...

i just grabbed this on my mac, cmd-shift-4.

15800477-L.jpg

oh btw - you see that file on my desktop called "spacer.gif?" that's what you get if you try to left-click drag the image to your desktop on a mac -- the file is *empty* :D
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    oh btw - you see that file on my desktop called "spacer.gif?" that's what you get if you try to left-click drag the image to your desktop on a mac -- the file is *empty* :D
    I never thought an empty image could be such a beautiful thing. naughty.gif
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    fish wrote:
    It's actually being held hostage until you release the new smilies.

okay OT, :) has been released. thanks boss. oh, and congrats on your recent promo to CEO.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    fish wrote:
    okay OT, :) has been released. thanks boss. oh, and congrats on your recent promo to CEO.

I'm not really much for titles, and if there's one I prefer, it's probably "co-founder". Something grand like CEO makes it sound like the company's success is entirely my doing, when in reality it's due to the entire team of talented people I have working alongside me.

However, if we want to get specific, I've been CEO since Day One, when smugmug wasn't even smugmug - I was building an online video game service with JT that happened to have some photo sharing. Baldy was my first full-time hire, and a few months later smugmug became a glimmer in both our eyes.

For those that might not have heard the story, a handful of powerful forces came to bear on modgods (smugmug's name before we changed it) within one month of each other. The biggest were:

- When demoing modgods' product, everyone got really excited about it. But the part they got the most excited about was the tiny photo sharing piece. We started doing demos with that as the final, crowning piece of the puzzle. I think Baldy caught onto everyone's fascination with it first, and I fell in line after he got passionate about it.

- ADVrider was desperate for something better than pbase for hosting their ride reports, and boy, were they into their ride reports. :)

- My wife launched her professional photography business and JT and I built the first 'Elegant' style homepage (just HTML, at the time) around this same time for her.

- Our technology partner for modgods was busy with another, more lucrative project, so we weren't sure they'd be reliable enough to base our business on.

Baldy and I both got fired up about the idea and smugmug was born as a sub-project at modgods, inc. We soon fell so in love with it, all work on modgods ceased and we eventually changed the company name. :)

For the record, I'm gradually getting used to the CEO title (it's only taken me 3+ years). Turns out that even though I feel mildly uncomfortable with it, it softens obstinate customer hearts, opens doors to partner companies, and recently forced one of our banking relationships to sit up and take notice of a problem. So I dust it off from time to time. "Chief Geek" or "co-founder" are titles I personally enjoy more.

Don
  • Options
    yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    onethumb wrote:

New stuff:

- photo communities has received a huge overhaul. Anyone can now create and manage photo communities, and they're quite powerful. More info: communities help

And of course, dgrin has one , as does dpreview . I think I'll turn both over to Andy's capable hands as soon as he's ready for them. :)

- image protection now goes way beyond "right-click protection" (which is lame anyway), and now prevents you from Saving or dragging and dropping the image, if you have it enabled. Paranoid Pros, you should love this. ;)

- photo sharing page ("share with friends, forums") has received an overhaul to try to make it easier. It now includes a handy email composition wizard that'll launch your mail client for you with the URL embedded in the email to share.

- lots of new and updated help pages, it turns out quite a few people don't know how to copy & paste, so we're trying to help them along. :)

- the breadcrumbs has changed slightly, to include the word "home". People were getting a little confused about what that first link was for, so now it's a little more clear.

- Our Maximum PC "Kick Ass" award is loud and proud on our homepage.

- "batch add to cart" has been updated so it adds the photos in the same sort order as you have your galleries in.

- The XML-RPC API received some bug fixes.

And I'm sure there are more that I'm missing.

Enjoy!

Don
    Loving you more all the time... and it's Valentine's too...

iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif

Yours, paranoid pro.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    onethumb wrote:

Enjoy!

Don
    Thank you!
    I'll be checking the communities!
    I love iloveyou.gif the fade feature, but not the full screen feature (using IE, and my images really look stretched).

And the beefing up of the protection feature pleases me as well. Won't have folks making dvds with my images and giving them to me! Well, maybe they still will - I'm not as literate as some. In any case, the more that you can do for this the better IMO.

Thanks!

ann
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Uh, I should sign this "idiot" and "genius" rarely.

The one thing I would like to know, and I know the rest of you know it, is how to link my smugmug galleries, the whole place, to dgrin. That is for me, so I can go back and forth. As it is, I go to each individually, minimize and so forth.

I know everyone else, or the old timers, have a different way, you all must!

thanks,

ginger

idiot savant
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Erik OlsenErik Olsen Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    photo communities
    onethumb wrote:

New stuff:

Don
    I created a photo community, and now I changed my mind. Is there a way to delete it, or have it not show when loged out?
    Thank you,

• Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 1, 2005
    Erik Olsen wrote:
    I created a photo community, and now I changed my mind. Is there a way to delete it, or have it not show when loged out?

I was wondering the same thing. Is this answer somewhere else and I just can't find it? Entirely possible, although I have searched :)

Thx!

Barb
    digitaldaze.smugmug.com
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 1, 2005
    Funny you should mention that. We're testing some new community features and one is deleting...
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 1, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    Funny you should mention that. We're testing some new community features and one is deleting...
    Ahhh, well I'll be patient and see how that goes :) Thx!

Barb
    digitaldaze.smugmug.com
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign