Options

Booked our honeymoon today...photog dream trip I think...

sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
edited September 14, 2007 in The Big Picture
9/2 - Depart Newark NJ, nonstop flight to to Lima, Peru - stay overnight
9/3 - Flight to Cusco, Peru - tour city in afternoon
9/4-5 - A.M. Train and bus ride to MACHU PICCHU !!, Overnight at local town and train ride back to Cusco.
9/6 - Flight leaves Cusco for Quito Ecquador, 1hr layover in Lima. Afternoon in Quito relaxing, overnight.
9/7 - Fly to Galpagos Islands, Ecuador - board a 100ft yacht
9/8-9/11 - CRUISE in the GALAPAGOS. Flight back to Quito in the afternoon, overnight
9/12 - Fly back to Jersey w/ a 90 minute layover in houston

Should be fun!!! :clap:clap:clap

We're bringing at least a pair of Rebel XTi's, Pentax Optio z, 70-200/2.8L, 70-300IS, 10-22 UWA, 35/2, 1.4x, and about 30GB worth of CF. I'm thinking about dropping some cash down for a Sigma 50-500 if budget allows.

Comments

• Options
    SkywatchSkywatch Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Wow
    Sounds more like work than a Honeymoon!...lol:ivar
    Your spouse must be in photography as well because mine would
    have saw the direction the planning was moving towards and stopped me dead cold!.....Congrats
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2007
    HAHAH... yeah we both shoot and run tallmanphoto as a side job. She told me she wanted Galapagos on a cruise ship and that I could do something I wanted. What else down in that neck of the woods??? MACHU PICCHU! thumb.gif Photos in a couple months ;)
  • Options
    LouwPhotographyLouwPhotography Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Sounds like you two will have a lot of fun! The Galapagos is on our list of places to visit and the photography will be awesome for sure. Can't wait to see your photos in a few months!
  • Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    mwink.gif First of all I'm envious. I've done part of that and I'm certain that you probably can't change your'e itinerary but being and old guy I know that you haven't allowed enough time to re-cuperate from the flight and also to adjust in Cusco. But have a good time and hope the addrenaline kicks in. bsvirginian
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Wow, the Galapagos are high on my list of places to go. Sounds like an incredible trip. clap.gif
    Chris
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2007
    mwink.gif First of all I'm envious. I've done part of that and I'm certain that you probably can't change your'e itinerary but being and old guy I know that you haven't allowed enough time to re-cuperate from the flight and also to adjust in Cusco. But have a good time and hope the addrenaline kicks in. bsvirginian
    Well, we are making the international flight down on the 2nd and sleeping overnight in lima before the short jog over to Cusco. We're gonna get a good nights sleep, and we are both young and fit so a little high altitude shouldn't be too grueling. We have that entire first day (3rd) to relax before making the trek up to Machu Picchu. I don't plan on any serious hiking (Huyana Picchu, 1100ft vertical hike) until the last day. After that its major RR time on the 100ft yacht :ivar

I'm sure hanging off a side of a rock looking at a 1000ft cliff will get our blood pumping too :D
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    I'm all sorts of psyched for this trip! All reservations have been booked, passports ready, tickets printed and ready to go!

I'll be bringing:

Rebel XTi, XT, 70-200/2.8L (1.4x tc), 24-70/2.8L, 10-22, bout 40gb of CF. Im also bringing my Panasonic DMC-TZ3 with 8GB worth of SD. It's all going in my Tamrac Adventure 9 Pack (carry on). The Rebel XT is going as a backup in my main suitcase... maybe i'll toss a charger and one battery in there with my 35/2 just in case. Weather reports look favorable. I leave Sunday and get back in a couple weeks! Photos and a heck of a story to follow - unless hell freezes over!
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Wow, have a great time and soak it all in - can't wait to see the results...oh, and CONGRATULATIONS on your wedding! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2007
    made it back in one piece - a married man! We had a fantastic time and took some AMAZING photos. The EF10-22 and 24-70/2.8L were the lenses to have at Machu Picchu. In the Galapagos the 70-200/2.8L+1.4x came out of the bag and really shined. I'll be posting in the journey thread soon... for now a couple teasers ;)

Funny animation of my best man finishing off his growler of apfelwein I gave him...

hic3.gif

from the top of wayna picchu – Penny and I made the 1400ft near vertical climb to the top from the ruins!! Its around 9,000ft above sea level… huffing and puffing all the way up! Hauling a body and three lenses up was worth it. I didnt bring a tripod though... the climb was just bearable with a small camera pack and a half liter of water.

IMG_0663.JPG

The classic machu picchu shot - wayna picchu in the background. We got lucky with the weather and the afternoon light. I got NAILED by the most vicious gnats on my elbows though. Thank god I was wearing jeans because I saw some people that had like 1000 bloody bites on their legs. Real nasty buggers!

IMG_0398.JPG

A neat shot of machu picchu and wayna picchu

IMG_0418.JPG
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    ... wayna picchu in the background ...
    Might be correctly described as Huayna Picchu (Young Peak)?

Nice images! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    O my is this nat geo assignment or a Honey moon eek7.gif
    Congrats clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    easier to spell wayna picchu ;)
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    Very cool. I missed this thread the first time around--good thing too as I'd be very jealous...well I am anyway. My wife & I are planning on going down to Macchu Picchu next year, so the lens comments are appreciated (I'll be taking my 20D, 12-24, 24-70, and 70-200 along with a Mamiya 645Pro rig). As are the gnat warnings. :D