Bramham International Horse Trials

gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
edited June 20, 2007 in Sports
Here's a few from the weekend with press access, just wish i had managed to get the only shots of Zara Philips hitting the deck, it was a nice earner for the tog that got it
A few with the 10D
161364455-M.jpg

161364850-M.jpg

161366064-M.jpg

1D
161845261-M.jpg

161848591-M.jpg

161850774-M.jpg

161853743-M.jpg

161854335-M.jpg

161865780-M.jpg

Comments

• IronhorseIronhorse Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Nice shots Gary. Looks like you were shooting under very difficult lighting conditions.
    Regards,

Joe
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Ironhorse wrote:
    Nice shots Gary. Looks like you were shooting under very difficult lighting conditions.

Thank's Joe,condition were not perfect, bright sun, jumps under shaded trees, all the 10D were shot on apperture priority and all 1D were shot on manual
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Shows the difficulty in exposing the grey horses correctly, especially #2, where part of the hind is in the sun. Nice Job on keeping them not blown out!

I'm curious (not criticising) as to why you shot in manual, and when you did, what speeds where you using, or what setting were you trying to keep fixed? Do you area or spot meter? And did you use exposure compensation in any of these shots?
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • troutstreamingtroutstreaming Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    Shows the difficulty in exposing the grey horses correctly, especially #2, where part of the hind is in the sun. Nice Job on keeping them not blown out!

I'm curious (not criticising) as to why you shot in manual, and when you did, what speeds where you using, or what setting were you trying to keep fixed? Do you area or spot meter? And did you use exposure compensation in any of these shots?

Hi Gary,

Looks like fun! I like the last picture best - between the water spray and the intense look on her face. It looks like I might be missing both of the Pacific Northwest's bigger 3-Day events this summer, so am glad that I went to Rolex and very jealous that you get 2 **** stars and a bunch of *** to shoot without having to board an airplane - its a twelve hour drive for me to the next three star.

On the exposure front I think that a couple of these are underexposed if you are exposing for the horse (versus the entire composition) and I say this as someone who gets hit upside the head frequently for being too concerned about not letting the highlights go in the background to achieve a better dynamic range on the main subject. Something to consider anyway.

So how did the guy make the cash from the fall pictures? From Rolex I have 15 frames of Heath Ryan and Flame going head over heels with Flame eventually lying on Heath's lap (horse was fine Heath had a seperated shoulder) and aside from 10,000+ views of my website from Australia have only managed one image sale from the series - and that is to a German magazine (Reiter Revue) and I do not know if they even ran the image as I have not received any tear sheets from them yet and have not stumbled in to a copy here on this side of the pond.

Have fun!

Andy
    www.troutstreaming.com
    Outdoor and Sports Media
  • JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    Wow!!

Those are some awesome shots.. Its nice to see images that are so good you can actually enjoy looking at them as artwork.... Great captures, some of the best I have seen.
    edited June 14, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:

Thank's Mark, I used exposure comp on the 10D in apperture, i allways shoot on manual with the 1D i seem to get better results s/s was around 1/800 @ F4 for depth of focus and using spot metering, on the show jumping i was using a grey advertising sign and it worked a treat
    edited June 14, 2007
    Hi Gary,

Looks like fun! I like the last picture best - between the water spray and the intense look on her face. It looks like I might be missing both of the Pacific Northwest's bigger 3-Day events this summer, so am glad that I went to Rolex and very jealous that you get 2 **** stars and a bunch of *** to shoot without having to board an airplane - its a twelve hour drive for me to the next three star.

On the exposure front I think that a couple of these are underexposed if you are exposing for the horse (versus the entire composition) and I say this as someone who gets hit upside the head frequently for being too concerned about not letting the highlights go in the background to achieve a better dynamic range on the main subject. Something to consider anyway.

So how did the guy make the cash from the fall pictures? From Rolex I have 15 frames of Heath Ryan and Flame going head over heels with Flame eventually lying on Heath's lap (horse was fine Heath had a seperated shoulder) and aside from 10,000+ views of my website from Australia have only managed one image sale from the series - and that is to a German magazine (Reiter Revue) and I do not know if they even ran the image as I have not received any tear sheets from them yet and have not stumbled in to a copy here on this side of the pond.

Have fun!

Andy

Thank's Andy, the slight underexposure could be down to my PP they were all shot in raw and i was using Capture One (only 2nd time i have used it) lots of the background were blown out to get the horse exposed and could have brought the expose down a tad too much.
    The guy made the cash because it was Zara Philips ( Granddaughter to the Queen) i heard he made enough to renew the equipment he was using
    edited June 14, 2007
    JoeL wrote:
    Wow!!

Those are some awesome shots.. Its nice to see images that are so good you can actually enjoy looking at them as artwork.... Great captures, some of the best I have seen.

Thank's Joel, that means alot coming from a SportsShooter memberthumb.gif
  • troutstreamingtroutstreaming Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    gsgary wrote:
    Thank's Andy, the slight underexposure could be down to my PP they were all shot in raw and i was using Capture One (only 2nd time i have used it) lots of the background were blown out to get the horse exposed and could have brought the expose down a tad too much.
    The guy made the cash because it was Zara Philips ( Granddaughter to the Queen) i heard he made enough to renew the equipment he was using

Ah - granddaughter to the queen - that explains it. Although Heath Ryan may be the equivalent of dressage royalty Down Under there is not much bank to be made being an equestrian paparazzi.

In raw processing as with exposure on capture it is easy to get caught up in massaging the histogram in an attempt to capture a dynamic range that the sensor or display media can not sufficiently handle.

Good shooting,

Andy
    www.troutstreaming.com
    Outdoor and Sports Media
    edited June 15, 2007
    JoeL wrote:
    Wow!!

Would these be good enough to join SportsShooter , i have plenty of other sports that i can show SportsShooter
    edited June 16, 2007
    Yep, those would work as far as I can tell. If you have a variety of sports it would be better.

If you go to the sportsshooter front page, click the "join" link and follow it, there will be another link that tells you to "read this story" and then you will just need to follow the procedures for getting sponsored.

You will need 10 of your best sports images to submit but you should have that in the bag for sure..

I will send you a PM with my information so I can sponsor you..

Joe
    edited June 16, 2007
    JoeL wrote:
    Yep, those would work as far as I can tell. If you have a variety of sports it would be better.

If you go to the sportsshooter front page, click the "join" link and follow it, there will be another link that tells you to "read this story" and then you will just need to follow the procedures for getting sponsored.

You will need 10 of your best sports images to submit but you should have that in the bag for sure..

I will send you a PM with my information so I can sponsor you..

Joe

Thankyou for your kind offer
  • F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    JoeL wrote:
    I will send you a PM with my information so I can sponsor you...Joe
    There you go Gary!
    That might be just what you needed to approach the folks at SportsShooter nod.gif

Very nice work (again) with the jumps...and very nice offer from you Joe clap.gif
    That's the kind of community/gesture that makes this forum such a great place to participate!
    Cheers,

Chris Sedg. :cool
    www.christophersedgwick.com

edited June 16, 2007
    Chris,

If your not a member of sportsshooter you should be, if you wanted too. You have some of the most awesome motorsports images I have ever seen!!

If your interested in joining let me know, it would be an honor to sponsor you also...
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    great pics Gary, nice to see you are getting press passes.. good luck with the sportsshooter application. Your pics, imho, are more than good enough.
    edited June 20, 2007
    Seamus wrote:
    great pics Gary, nice to see you are getting press passes.. good luck with the sportsshooter application. Your pics, imho, are more than good enough.

Cheers Seamusthumb.gif