Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    billw wrote:
    Here's a couple of possibilities.

Comments?

-- Bill

I like the first one best, I like the fact that the eyes match the orange in the fabric.. the second one is nice too with him/her on the edge of the cushion.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    Cute cat, Bill. is it really that orange?

Comments? Everything in those shots is centered, the composition needs a boost to make the shot more interesting. Wouldn't hurt to have less even lighting, either, something to give it shadows and depth.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    billwbillw Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Cute cat, Bill. is it really that orange?

Comments? Everything in those shots is centered, the composition needs a boost to make the shot more interesting. Wouldn't hurt to have less even lighting, either, something to give it shadows and depth.

Yes, he's really that orange.

Thanks for the comments. I'll try a couple of different crops. As for lighting - this was done with the on-board flash. I don't think he'd sit and pose while I set up just the right lighting effect mwink.gif

-- Bill
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    I like the first one best, I like the fact that the eyes match the orange in the fabric.. the second one is nice too with him/her on the edge of the cushion.

Thanks, Lynn. I like the first one too. As well as the eyes, I like that his white ruff breaks up the orange.

-- Bill
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    billw wrote:
    Here's a couple of possibilities.

Comments?

-- Bill

15770609-S.jpg

15770620-S.jpg

Of the two shots, I'd say the first is the best. But, you can do better. When you have a circle, it's more interesting to get that curve at an angle in your frame and get the cat a little off center. Don't be afraid to cut part of his body off. After all, you want to draw attention to his face. In your post work, bring up the contrast a little by using curves. Try to get some "Pop" in the image. It's good as far as it goes, but go a little farther. Let's see some more.
    thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Of the two shots, I'd say the first is the best. But, you can do better. When you have a circle, it's more interesting to get that curve at an angle in your frame and get the cat a little off center. Don't be afraid to cut part of his body off. After all, you want to draw attention to his face. In your post work, bring up the contrast a little by using curves. Try to get some "Pop" in the image. It's good as far as it goes, but go a little farther. Let's see some more.
    thumb.gif

Like this?

15890843-M.jpg
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    billw wrote:
    Like this?

15890843-S.jpg

Much better contrast here. Can you get the cat to pose for some more shots to try it from different angles? Maybe get the curve of the cushion arcing around one corner of the frame.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Let me preface this by saying I just found out about a death in the family, so I might be just slightly more brusque than usual (be quiet, waxy).

First the positives: it's a beautiful cat and I really like the tangerine bed. Your focus is good and so is sharpness.

Areas for improvement: There's not enough contrast between the animal and the bed. Not that I'm a fashion maven, but fishwife would say that those colors clash. The direct flash makes the cat look rather flat and is casting a shadow against the wall. Both are n00bie errors, correctable by moving the cat bed further away from the wall and by using indirect flash (off-camera and/or bounce). Edit: on second thought, is that shadow against the back of the bed? If so, try a much lower angle. Another problem with the direct flash, is that it's blowing out the animal's eyes. In general, when photographing people and animals, the one part you need to get right are the eyes, or the shot just doesn't work. Lastly, get a lint roller and clean up the fur on the bed...it detracts from the overall quality of the image.

Hope that helps, Bill.

:fish
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Let me preface this by saying I just found out about a death in the family, so I might be just slightly more brusque than usual (be quiet, waxy).

First the positives: it's a beautiful cat and I really like the tangerine bed. Your focus is good and so is sharpness.

Areas for improvement: There's not enough contrast between the animal and the bed. Not that I'm a fashion maven, but fishwife would say that those colors clash. The direct flash makes the cat look rather flat and is casting a shadow against the wall. Both are n00bie errors, correctable by moving the cat bed further away from the wall and by using indirect flash (off-camera and/or bounce). Edit: on second thought, is that shadow against the back of the bed? If so, try a much lower angle. Another problem with the direct flash, is that it's blowing out the animal's eyes. In general, when photographing people and animals, the one part you need to get right are the eyes, or the shot just doesn't work. Lastly, get a lint roller and clean up the fur on the bed...it detracts from the overall quality of the image.

Hope that helps, Bill.

:fish

Well, he's on a chair, not a bed, so there's not much chance of moving the cushion. Here's another shot, on a different (cleaner?) chair, without flash.

I've got to take these opportunities as they come. He's only 8 months old, and gets bored quickly mwink.gif

15900076-M.jpg
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    This last one the best of all of them!
    billw wrote:
    Well, he's on a chair, not a bed, so there's not much chance of moving the cushion. Here's another shot, on a different (cleaner?) chair, without flash.

I've got to take these opportunities as they come. He's only 8 months old, and gets bored quickly mwink.gif

15900076-M.jpg

This is the one you should try entering (unless you are planning to take more, and you like one of the newer ones better...). It fulfills the challenge guidelines as far as predominant color, and in this one, the cat's eyes are quite nicely captured! Cheers~ Nee :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    DawnLandDawnLand Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    I agree
    I agree that the last one is the best! Dawn

PS I am thinking of entering cats too!:D