30D burst mode issue

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited June 13, 2007 in Cameras
I have noticed that my 30D does not name files in sequence; that is, when I shoot a burst I often find that frame 0003 really came before frame 0002, for example. I assume that the camera is buffering a bunch of images and writing them as fast as it can, but shouldn't that be sequential writing?

This is the card I am using at the moment.
cf1gb_133x.jpg

I haven't tried other cards, but I don't have any others with 133x claimed speed, either. :wink

Anyone else experience this issue? Is it just the card?

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited June 12, 2007
    Do you have another card (of any speed), or can you borrow one to do another test?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Yep, I have a 2GB Kingston Elite. Problem is I never remember the problem unitl I am at a sporting event shooting. I need to stage some motion to shoot I guess, then I can try different cards! I'll try to run an experiment this weekend.

Funny thing is I thought it was only in hi-speed burst, but I took some shots today in regular burst, like 2 shots, pause, 3 shots, pause, 2 shots. So not just banging away, but I still had the problem. ne_nau.gif
    edited June 13, 2007
    So are you saying that when you are spinning the control wheel clockwise on the back of the camera and looking at the LCD that IMG0003 sequences before IMG0002? Or are they out of order when you look at an uploaded directory on a computer?
    My Smugmug
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Ok, It may not be writing them in the right order, but if you're not losing any shots, or dropping frames, what difference does if make?

Just to answer your question, no, I don't believe my 30D does this, but I don't use the high speed very often.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    rolleyes1.gif I'm a dope.

I checked on the camera LCD, it's fine.

I checked in Zoombrowser, all is fine.

I checked in Lightroom, *ding-ding-ding* we had a winner! Seems it was sorting by "time uploaded" instead of "by filename". (I recently switched to uploading in Lightroom)

Apparently I never actually looked at the filenames and saw they were correct, I just ASSUMED the camera was the culprit. And made an A$$ of myself! :D

Oh well, live and learn - thanks guys!
    edited June 13, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif I'm a dope.
    ... stuff ...
    :D
    Oh well, live and learn - thanks guys!

No problem. I have been my own victim of how images are sorted in too many viewers... Windows Explorer, Bridge, etc. to where I looked at the order and a peculiar look across my face while trying to figure it out.

Now here is something you might find odd on your 30D; the order bracketed shots are taken. Look in your manual and see if it makes any sense. It didn't to me so I switched it to now shoot -, normal and then +. In my mind, less first with normal in the middle is more logical.
    My Smugmug
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    No problem. I have been my own victim of how images are sorted in too many viewers... Windows Explorer, Bridge, etc. to where I looked at the order and a peculiar look across my face while trying to figure it out.

Now here is something you might find odd on your 30D; the order bracketed shots are taken. Look in your manual and see if it makes any sense. It didn't to me so I switched it to now shoot -, normal and then +. In my mind, less first with normal in the middle is more logical.

THis must be a Canon issue. My XTi brackets in a wierd way as well, but I don't think I have the option to change it unlike the 30D. Oh well... ne_nau.gif
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    I know on the 20D--and am certain the 30D is the same--you can use a custom function to order the bracketing in one of several ways. I agree that the way David has his set makes the most sense, I guess Canon's firmware writer has a screwy concept of the correct order. ne_nau.gif

I think we've all gotten confused with our sort orders at one time or another. I've done the same myself. The "huh? This order doesn't make sense. What's going on?...DOH!" moment.